Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Spark Q&A (Your Questions Answered)

The DJI employees over at RC Groups are saying it's louder than the Mavic. They've been flying the Spark for a couple of months.

Reactions: srcrain
Since the Spark has smaller props, it's probably not louder just higher pitched.
Higher pitched sounds are typically described as being louder even if they aren't.

I guess someone needs to get an audio volume meter and test if it really is louder.

Reactions: srcrain
Can anyone explain the difference of around 81.8db and 84.1db? I know it is more complicated because it is a log scale or something like that.

I just read somewhere that a 3db change is unnoticeable to most people. According to the test from the video the db difference is less than 3 db. So it would seem that the Spark is really no quieter than the Mavic. This is extremely important for my purchasing decision.

At roughly 83 dB, it is as noisy as an loud vacuum cleaner...irritating for long periods but nothing damaging like a standing in front of stage speakers at a rock concert.

Since the spark has only a 2 axis gimbal (no yaw) will the footage be less stable and more susceptible to unintended rotations?

Since the spark has only a 2 axis gimbal (no yaw) will the footage be less stable and more susceptible to unintended rotations?

While it is true that the gimbal is only 2-axis, the camera sensor is 4k but the video is limited to HD (1080) so it can use the additional pixels for camera stabiklization.

Net result is that video output looks very close to the stability of a 3 axis gimbal.

I'm still waiting for design breakdown of the Spark camera. The wide oval opening for the camera's lens almost gives the impression that there is a some sort of side-to-side mechanical compensation in place of a yaw axis gimbal. The combo of pitch and roll with a side-to-side compensation would give a very smooth video feed during turns without the need for digital pixel compensation like many imitators try to use and fail miserably at.

I'm still waiting for design breakdown of the Spark camera. The wide oval opening for the camera's lens almost gives the impression that there is a some sort of side-to-side mechanical compensation in place of a yaw axis gimbal. The combo of pitch and roll with a side-to-side compensation would give a very smooth video feed during turns without the need for digital pixel compensation like many imitators try to use and fail miserably at.
On this page they suggest also a 3rd axis. This would explain why the camera is not in the middle. But then it would be a 3-axis gimbal.
Has anyone seen the camera moving?

spark.JPG

No need to over-think this one.

If the camera could move laterally they would list it as a 3 axis gimbal.

If the camera could move then you would see reports of it moving and if it was designed to move for stabilization why wouldn't it be located centrally so it could move in both directions? Not much use if it can only stabilize yaw in one direction...

You don't have to look further than these specs:

Sensor

1/2.3" CMOS
Effective pixels: 12 MP

Image Size 3968×2976

Video Resolution
FHD: 1920×1080 30p

Still photos are 4K resolution, video is 1080p...

There are more than enough spare pixels on that sensor to allow for some very good EIS to take care of the lateral stabilization...

Waypoints doesn't look like it's an option in the DJI Go app. From what I understand there are some 3rd party apps that might add Spark support and do contain waypoint planning for other DJI drones.

Litchi has said they will be adding Spark support, but no time-frame that I could find. Once that happens, you should be able to fly waypoints.

@Mark_T

I still can't tell from the photos but if there is no form of side-to-side stabilization (even a pair of springs if not a motor based system), then why the offset camera position?
If it doesn't move, why give it the appearance of having room to move?

It's not a matter of overthinking the design, but understanding why things were done this way. It is odd to have a camera horizontally offset from the middle of the gimble.

@Mark_T

I still can't tell from the photos but if there is no form of side-to-side stabilization (even a pair of springs if not a motor based system), then why the offset camera position?
If it doesn't move, why give it the appearance of having room to move?

It's not a matter of overthinking the design, but understanding why things were done this way. It is odd to have a camera horizontally offset from the middle of the gimble.

I was looking to the ND filter designs from PolarPro and others and they show the filtering part just in one part of the clip-on.

PolarPro_DJI_Spark_Filters.png

That makes me pretty certain the camera won't move.
I can't really think about some other reasons the camera is positioned there than there might be some kind of sensor next to the camera lens.
Probably not a proximity sensor, because those are behind the part that is more on top.

confirmed.
in USA the limit is 350 gr or 12 onces.
in Italy the rules ask for a limit of 300 gr..
only 5 grams... only 5 grams

According to the FAA site Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions :
You must "Register the aircraft (UAS over 0.55 lbs. and less than 55 lbs. can be registered online at registermyuas.faa.gov; UAS 55 lbs. or greater must be registered through the FAA's paper-based process)"

.55 lbs is 250 grams, not 350

Reactions: 0ursisthefury

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme