Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Drowned Spark...apparently makes full recovery.

Denver

Join
Oct 31, 2017
Hi All, you think it will never happen to you, but yes it does. While out last week I made a mistake and my Spark ended up in a river. He was in there around 20 mins till I managed to get him out. I immediately removed the battery which would not switch off with random sequences of lights flashing. The Spark had water pouring out of it. I took it home and removed the cover and left it near a heater to dry out for a week. I could not believe it when after fitting a battery it powered up as normal!! I carefully tried a very short flight and everything appears okay, camera works, even front sensor works, lucky or what. Will see what the long term problems might show up but so far so good. The only thing I can think is it went down in a Scottish river, it was crystal clear which was how I was able to see it and recover. Doubt if I will ever have the same trust in it that I had before but amazed at what my Spark recovered from.

Wow that’s pretty impressive. The Spark is a tough little beast eh!

Hi All, you think it will never happen to you, but yes it does. While out last week I made a mistake and my Spark ended up in a river. He was in there around 20 mins till I managed to get him out. I immediately removed the battery which would not switch off with random sequences of lights flashing. The Spark had water pouring out of it. I took it home and removed the cover and left it near a heater to dry out for a week. I could not believe it when after fitting a battery it powered up as normal!! I carefully tried a very short flight and everything appears okay, camera works, even front sensor works, lucky or what. Will see what the long term problems might show up but so far so good. The only thing I can think is it went down in a Scottish river, it was crystal clear which was how I was able to see it and recover. Doubt if I will ever have the same trust in it that I had before but amazed at what my Spark recovered from.

I just got mines the other day, I'm in Scotland too and this is my main fear. If you have DJI care I would send it back just in case.

My wife's phone went for a swim and we managed to get it working again after 5 days in silica gel, the flash on the camera is humped though. I would keep it in a sealed bag of silica gel pouches when not in use if you aren't able to replace it. Just in case!

There is YouTube videos with people flying the spark in rain storm's. I got caught in one the other day with mine I quickly into sports mode and flew back little spark was drenched I just wiped off all the rain put it in my bag and left it till next day flew it and everything was perfect. Hahaha

Glad to hear it's working again, but how did it end up in the river?

There is YouTube videos with people flying the spark in rain storm's. I got caught in one the other day with mine I quickly into sports mode and flew back little spark was drenched I just wiped off all the rain put it in my bag and left it till next day flew it and everything was perfect. Hahaha
Wonder what and if spark has an IP rating?

Reactions: Gavieboydgi
Good story, but sadly the entire drone markers must be all red if someone opens it up.

Im surprised the camera is so robust to avoid any water entry. Usually they are dust proof but not water is a major camera sensor killer.

Good overall story but I would still be worried long term. A lot of very delicate parts within the spark (Found out swapping cases after I purchased one with a broken arm).

Hi Guys, it happened when I flew too close to the underside of a bridge. I didn’t realise the amount of wind turbulence there would be there and it hit the bridge. Luckily I had prop guards on but it fell about 15 feet into the water. I have the footage of its fall and about 5 secs of its underwater swim. It definitely isn’t waterproof. With the top cover off all looks ok but your right, don’t think I would trust it unless in remote area.
Anyway, have had so much fun with it new Spark is on its way. Will be staying well away from bridges now.

Reactions: ELD.visuals

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis