Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Enough sats locked?

twickers14

Join
Sep 6, 2018
Loc
SW U.K.
Am getting impatient to fly, it’s been a week or so and UAV is saying Not Safe, only 9.4/11.2 locked up there in the next 3 hours. What is the safe minimum I can go with? I know I can set the minimum target on the site but advice would be very welcome

The Spark needs at least 10 satilites to get a Home Point lock. More is better.
And you should receive more satilites as you rise up higher in the sky and capture more signals, but ONLY after a Home Point has been established.

The are three phases of the Spark warm up, Atti-mode, GPS, and GPS Ready to go (Home Point).

If the Spark is satisfied with a Home Point, so am I.

I'd set the UAV Forecast app to 10 satilites and see if that works for you. You can set other parameters too to your liking such as wind speeds at 200 feet verses the ground.

Happy flying. :)

Reactions: Highflyer and Andro
The Spark needs at least 10 satilites to get a Home Point lock. More is better.
And you should receive more satilites as you rise up higher in the sky and capture more signals, but ONLY after a Home Point has been established.

The are three phases of the Spark warm up, Atti-mode, GPS, and GPS Ready to go (Home Point).

If the Spark is satisfied with a Home Point, so am I.

I'd set the UAV Forecast app to 10 satilites and see if that works for you. You can set other parameters too to your liking such as wind speeds at 200 feet verses the ground.

Happy flying. :)
As always sage advice-good thought on wind speed at height. Many thanks.

Got up at last and perfect. Bit windy but such fun. Flights 162/3 so really happy. Suddenly realised a Mavic flying up with me. Could see the pilot but had to pack up and go so didn’t get to chat. First time I’ve had this happen. 20 sats when up at 200ft. Excellent.

I never blindly trust the "satellites locked" shown in UAV forecast. I have found on a number of occasions that even when it shows a forecast of less than 10 satellites, the Spark is actually able to catch a few more. So no harm in just turning on the Spark and seeing how many satellites are locked on the Go4 app instead of relying on some other app's forecast.

I never blindly trust the "satellites locked" shown in UAV forecast. I have found on a number of occasions that even when it shows a forecast of less than 10 satellites, the Spark is actually able to catch a few more. So no harm in just turning on the Spark and seeing how many satellites are locked on the Go4 app instead of relying on some other app's forecast.
Thanks nilanjan118 makes a lot of sense. When I flew (see above) there were “officially” 11 sats but on the flight, up to 16. I just kept an eye on the flight data as I flew.

Reactions: nilanjan118
Thanks nilanjan118 makes a lot of sense. When I flew (see above) there were “officially” 11 sats but on the flight, up to 16. I just kept an eye on the flight data as I flew.
You are welcome. And like you said and also what Spark317 explained before, the no. of satellites locked usually gets better as we gain altitude. Sometimes it does take a while to get enough satellites or Ready to Go GPS before takeoff but till date I have never had to remain on the ground due to insufficient number of satellites. It is also worth mentioning that once I complete flying with one battery and switch to the next battery, I see that the Spark is able to find the GPS satellites even faster.

You are welcome. And like you said and also what Spark317 explained before, the no. of satellites locked usually gets better as we gain altitude. Sometimes it does take a while to get enough satellites or Ready to Go GPS before takeoff but till date I have never had to remain on the ground due to insufficient number of satellites. It is also worth mentioning that once I complete flying with one battery and switch to the next battery, I see that the Spark is able to find the GPS satellites even faster.
Thanks again for this extra info. Always very helpful. Will put it to a test next time UAV says not enough satellites

Thanks again for this extra info. Always very helpful. Will put it to a test next time UAV says not enough satellites

UAV is a wonderful app, but there are many variables. I fly often when UAV says no-go. But with a Spark, flying in a new location...I ALWAYS recalibrate the compass. I wait for 8 satellites, but in CLEAR conditions, I sometimes will MANUALLY lift off in ATTI mode, go up ~10m and hover. That normally will kick me into GPS, and HP will be recorded.

IME, the #1 loss of AC is impatiently taking off before the Spark is ready.

Reactions: Vilco
IMHO, every operator should remember ACs are far from being perfect navigational instruments.

Find a wide open and large area, with no obstacles, on a CLEAR day. Take a spin in ATTI mode. It will improve your confidence, and flying skills.m

It will also lesson operators’ tendency to panic when it just happens. I have an old, original P2 that I’ll fly now and then. I still feel gutshot when it decides to do its own thing.

I don’t get to fly in new locations very much. The Downs here in Bristol UK is a “wide open space” and I have never tried ATTI only. I’m a OTG disciple. When I took Spark to the States in May I was not prompted to Recalibrate and flew safely and accurately much to my surprise!! So I shall carry on wizzing here and there on the Downs but shall be constantly wary of any blips in sat nos. Thank you all for your considered advice. We are very lucky to have this facility.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme