Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

I am always losing the video signal lately

The connection between spark and controller is the sensitive to interference connection.

What kind of interference can disconnect controller from device, while they are in touch (zero distance)?

Otg cable is mainly used, to solve possible problems, as lag based on the phone, or when your device cannot be connected wiressly (lack of 5.8g support, or DJI goggles, etc).

I know, most of us consider otg cable is more stable connection than WiFi, but the connection we all have to worry about, is between controller and drone.
Once it is broken, drone will return to home position, and if it fails that, it will fly away.

Last edited:
The connection between spark and controller is the sensitive to interference connection.

What kind of interference can disconnect controller from device, while they are in touch (zero distance)?

Otg cable is mainly used, to solve possible problems, as lag based on the phone, or when your device cannot be connected wiressly (lack of 5.8g support, or DJI goggles, etc).

When connected wirelessly the phone and controller are NOT "zero distance" as you suggest. In fact they are not physically connected at all. They are communicating via radio frequency which is susceptible to various sources of interference (from wifi, Bluetooth, cell towers, smart watches, wireless home phones, etc.) The OTG cable completely eliminates this common problem.

It's wonderful that you are not personally having this issue but many others are and the OTG cable is an inexpensive and reliable solution. That's exactly why the Mavic Pro uses OTG as the default connection method. And it's the very reason DJI has updated the Spark to allow this option.

I use ANKER brand cables and have being having good lifespan out of them .

Really? I can’t go 100 Yards on 5.8ghz?
I am a network engineer and I know that the signal is stronger but the distance is shorter. The area I fly the most has low interference. I have never used a OTG Cable though.
Really 100 yards? That's it? WOW!IMG_2731.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: CarolinaDrones
When connected wirelessly the phone and controller are NOT "zero distance" as you suggest. In fact they are not physically connected at all. They are communicating via radio frequency which is susceptible to various sources of interference (from wifi, Bluetooth, cell towers, smart watches, wireless home phones, etc.) The OTG cable completely eliminates this common problem.

It's wonderful that you are not personally having this issue but many others are and the OTG cable is an inexpensive and reliable solution. That's exactly why the Mavic Pro uses OTG as the default connection method. And it's the very reason DJI has updated the Spark to allow this option.
I don't get your point. Do you disagree with something I wrote?

I use otg cable with my spark in several situations, but I use wireless too without issues.

Otg cable cannot solve range problems.

My smartphone is ON the controller, so they are in ZERO distance, with ZERO obstacles between them.

I have a Mavic Pro, and i don't use an OTG cable to connect controller with device. I use a straight one. Mavic Pro is another drone, using other technology, and the cache video is 1080p, instead of 720p for the spark.

OP in this thread has a problem, while USING an otg cable.

I try to avoid flying overhead! That is the worst place to have your drone, try to pick up a signal. Try flying out at least 100 feet in front of you (if you have the room),then climb up to the altitude you want, and see if you loose the signal. Also the environment you fly in has a lot to do with signal strength,and staying connected to the drone with a WiFi system. Often changing locations will solve the problem. When a spot was flown last week without problems, but this week is no good, usually,means there has been a change in conditions at the location! Maybe a new, near by WiFi system,ect has been put in place since your last time there!
Not if the antennas are perpendicular to the drone.

Without an OTG cable and in the middle of nowhere. I don’t even try to use it. I don’t have any other problems with it. It’s my favorite “kick around drone”. I had an Air but sold it and got a Zoom. I still fly my Spark the most.
I've got a Mavic Pro V1,a Inspire 1,and the Spark. I'm always grabbing the Spark when I go out!

Reactions: CarolinaDrones
thanks! I just ordered one and will give it a shot.
I always use the OTG cable. Wired connections are less prone to interference compared to wifi. Cables are inexpensive but they don't all work. They appear similar on outside but different internals

I have tried a bunch and this one is best:

https://amzn.to/2KVdblv

I just received my new OTG cable and my problem is solved!

I do still lose the video signal sometimes but it will kick back in when i get a little closer or adjust my location. unlike before when the signal woudl be lost for the rest of the flight.

thank you!!

I've got a Mavic Pro V1,a Inspire 1,and the Spark. I'm always grabbing the Spark when I go out!
Haha, my Spark goes with me everywhere! Never know when you have the opportunity to shoot something great. I have a Zoom, P3 4k, Yuneec Q500. They spend more time at home than I do. I do love the Zoom! I sold my Air to get it. I did like the Air, but it was like a Spark Pro, not close to the Pro at all. A little faster, and 4k camera and maybe a little better battery time.

Been having this issue recently too! Video lost and also loads of switching between atti and gps mid flight - very scary and annoying!

As others have said, flying with an OTG cable does make a difference in regards to stable connectivity. However, make sure you buy one with positive reviews. I paid $8 for mine, and it’s worked flawlessly. Flying WiFi sucks, unless you’re in a remote area that’s miles and miles away from any type of interference.

As others have said, flying with an OTG cable does make a difference in regards to stable connectivity. However, make sure you buy one with positive reviews. I paid $8 for mine, and it’s worked flawlessly. Flying WiFi sucks, unless you’re in a remote area that’s miles and miles away from any type of interference.
Even with an otg cable, you ARE flying using WiFi connection between spark and controller.

And if there is strong interference, THIS WiFi connection will suffer.

Otg cable solves some problems, but there are many issues with otg cables, because otg cables are special cables, and they are prone to poor quality.

OP had problems WITH HIS OTG CABLE.

The OTG cable dose nothing more than make a "hard wired" connection between your device, and the controller. The signal between the drone and controller is still WiFi, as mentioned above. The one advantage of using a OTG cable is you can switch between 2.4 and 5.8 mHz. I fly in a strong WiFi interference area, and by using 5.8 I can fly without any dropouts,(there are far less systems operating on 5.8,than on 2.4 mHz). I've also had flights out to 1 1/2 miles on 5.8,so that kinda kills the theory that 5.8 dosen't have any long range. I use the OTG to change from 2.4 to 5.8 then, once changed it goes into the flight case. I fly with IOS devices, and NEVER use a OTG with great results! I can use the OTG cable, but will see no difference in performance, while using it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502