Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Is atti mode something to be scared of?

thecommodore

Join
Mar 21, 2018
I'm a relatively new pilot i've only really taken my spark out on 1 proper flight (living in city) and i'm absolutely terrified of my spark going into atti mode and crashing. so is it something to worry about?

are there any tips you'd give to a new pilot?

Reactions: FO Diggle
I only experienced Atti mode once and it was because I was impatient and didn't wait for the Home Point.

I launched at 3 feet, drifted with the wind for about 20 feet and landed it. :eek:

I have a cheaper drone with no GPS that is good to practice with vs. wrapping aluminium foil on the back of the Spark to simulate Atti (so I've read).

If you do experience Atti-mode during flight, don't panic, you'll need to know the orientation quickly so you can counter act the wind and control it.

The best way is to look at the radar screen and look at the telemetry rather than looking at the Spark since it's so small. If the numbers get larger, it's going away from you. This is why it's good to have a spotter so you can concentrate on the flight screen.

Before each flight I check these two Apps available in the Stores.

Screenshot_20171211-181636.jpg

Airmap shows the airspace around you and UAV forecast is a one stop shop for flight conditions in the area.

Make sure you have a good GPS count and Home Point before launch.
When you fly, insure the Spark can "see" the sky for constant GPS coverage.

Flying under bridges, tree canopies in the woods, through tunnels, deep canyons and tall buildings may momentarily break the signal and switch to Atti-mode.

Fly Safe.:)

Last edited:
The Spark will auto switch to ATTI mode in the following situations:

1) The Spark is experiencing some type of compass-related error and the Spark determines it cannot safely hold its horizontal position. This most commonly occurs when taking off near a magnetic metal object (e.g. rebar in concrete sidewalk). If you take off in this situation, the controls will likely not respond as expected (even if you are aware of the Spark's orientation). You should attempt to land your Spark as quickly as possible.

To prevent this from occurring, make sure there are no magnetic metal objects near the Spark while it's powered on. The DJI GO app will sometimes alert you of this magnetic interference by displaying a message at the top of DJI GO. No message is not a sign that all is okay though. Before taking off, you should verify that the red aircraft symbol on the map in DJI GO is pointing in the same direction as the Spark (and that it's not slowly rotating).

2) If the Spark is not connected to enough GPS satellites or loses the connection to satellites it was previously connected to (like when flying around tall obstacles), it could auto switch to ATTI mode. When flying in ATTI mode in this situation, you'll have to manually control the horizontal position of the Spark since it won't use its GPS data to auto hold its horizontal position. Your Spark will drift along with the wind if you do not keep on the sticks to counteract the drifting. Controlling the Spark in this situation is quite easy if there is no wind. However, if the wind is strong, you might have a lot of trouble getting your Spark back to the home point or to a safe landing location.

Flying in Atti Mode is not something to be worried about. You need to work the RC to keep the Spark flying, If you stop and hover with any wind it will drift, just keep the Spark moving, read the Telemetry Data (Compass and Red Arrow) and manually fly the Spark back to you.. Unfortunately you cannot select Atti Mode to practice. Happy Flying,,

No. Attitude mode is not something to be scared of.
Attitude mode is an option to select on the DJI Phantom series of drones. When I bought the Spark, I was disappointed that the option was no longer available. So, I learned how to convert the Spark Sport mode switch to enter attitude mode. I use attitude mode often, and am considering flying only in attitude mode. Why? Attitude mode is much more fun, and the video is much smoother; especially when turning the Spark.
I got the Spark up to 45mph in attitude mode. At 45 mph the video is not good. What is good is the smooth flight. Attitude mode has unique attributes. One of the main attributes is the slow braking. If I fly straight forward in attitude mode, then let go of the sticks, the Spark just keeps going. Eventually it will come to a stop, but no where near as quickly as when in the puppeteer GPS mode. Also, when in attitude mode, the Spark does not have that bizarre FPV banking that the GPS Sport mode has.
I thoroughly enjoy attitude mode.
Typically, but not always, I fly the Spark up to 125 to 150 feet in the air before I switch to attitude mode. At that height, Spark is not likely to run into anything. When in attitude mode, the flight elevation is constant unless you raise/lower it. So, forward/backward, right/left at the same height always.

When I am in attitude, I can instantly access GPS mode by simply switching the Sport mode switch back to GPS. This slams on the brakes, and any risk of collision is mitigated. Though at 125 to 150 feet there is little risk of running into anything

If anyone is interested in learning how to alter Sport mode to become attitude mode, PM me, and I'll walk you through it. The change is made to the firmware by changing one number, and not by rewiring or soldering anything. You can easily change the setting back and forth from Sport to attitude mode should you want to. You can even do it in the field, with your tablet. I've never done that, but the resources need are not CPU hogs.

BTW I am not a dare devil, but attitude mode is too much fun to ignore.

Last edited:
Attitude mode is an option to select on the DJI Phantom series of drones. When I bought the Spark, I was disappointed that the option was no longer available. So, I learned how to convert the Spark Sport mode switch to enter attitude mode. I use attitude mode often, and am considering flying only in attitude mode. Why? Attitude mode is much more fun, and the video is much smoother; especially when turning the Spark.
I got the Spark up to 45mph in attitude mode. At 45 mph the video is not good. What is good is the smooth flight. Attitude mode has unique attributes. One of the main attributes is the slow braking. If I fly straight forward in attitude mode, then let go of the sticks, the Spark just keeps going. Eventually it will come to a stop, but no where near as quickly as when in the puppeteer GPS mode. Also, when in attitude mode, the Spark does not have that bizarre FPV banking that the GPS Sport mode has.
Typically, but not always, I fly the Spark up to 125 to 150 feet in the air before I switch to attitude mode. At that height, Spark is not likely to run into anything. When in attitude mode, the flight elevation is constant unless you raise/lower it. So, forward/backward, right/left at the same height always.

When I am in attitude, I can instantly access GPS mode by simply switching the Sport mode switch back to GPS. This slams on the brakes, and any risk of collision is mitigated. Though at 125 to 150 feet there is little risk of running into anything

If anyone is interested in learning how to alter Sport mode to become attitude mode, PM me, and I'll walk you through it. The change is made to the firmware by changing one number, and not by rewiring or soldering anything. You can easily change the setting back and forth from Sport to attitude mode should you want to. You can even do it in thhe field, with your tablet. I've never done that, but the resources need are not CPU hogs.

Hi Richard

If anyone is interested in learning how to alter Sport mode to become attitude mode, PM me, and I'll walk you through it. The change is made to the firmware by changing one number, and not by rewiring or soldering anything. You can easily change the setting back and forth from Sport to attitude mode should you want to. You can even do it in the field, with your tablet. I've never done that, but the resources need are not CPU hogs.

Hi Richard,
I would like to use atti mode on purpose. I think any pilot should acquire the skills to fly unassisted.

Thanks,
Larry

I would be interested in that as well. Preparation is a good thing. I constantly freak out when the drone does something unexpected. So I better train for it.

had it go into atti mode yesterday while messing around with sports mode, it only changed for a second and then went back to GPS.

if you're flying GPS and lose connection with the drone it will RTH, but what happens if you're flying GPS lose connection & drone goes atti mode? will it still try to RTH or basically you just have to pray you can get signal back to control it yourself?

Please explain further? One number to change?...There are other debug solutions via DJI Assistant to change the performance overall in normal/sport modes, with GPS included. Might be safer & you have control. Attitude mode turns Spark into a dumb $10 drone? There are better solutions to enhance your experience.

had it go into atti mode yesterday while messing around with sports mode, it only changed for a second and then went back to GPS.

if you're flying GPS and lose connection with the drone it will RTH, but what happens if you're flying GPS lose connection & drone goes atti mode? will it still try to RTH or basically you just have to pray you can get signal back to control it yourself?

Unfortunately if you lose GPS connection and go into Atti Mode you could lose your Drone. No GPS connection then the Drone will not know where HP is.. You will need to visually fly the Drone back to your HP.. No RTH without GPS.

Reactions: thecommodore
ATTI mode itself is not scaring.
The scary thing is that the pilot never knows when it suddenly will switch into atti mode.
Often, I would feel more safe if I could force ATTI mode, so I don’t get it as a surprise.

Hi Richard:

I had a compass-error recently and it scared the hell out of me. I managed to get the Spark back and was intrigued with experimenting with atti mode purely for defensive reasons and being able to recover it in emergencies. Any info you could pass along to be able to tweak it to enable practice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,
It's this easy. Go slowly as there is a lot on information presented to you, but you will only make small changes to values. So, go slowly to not be overwhelmed
1) Delete DJI Assistant 2 V1.2.6 from your computer. If you don't have it installed, then don't worry about it.
2) Install DJI Assistant 2 V1.1.2 You can download it from this site https://flyflydrones.com/pages/download-links
3) Download Notepad ++ It's free, but be careful where you download it from. I downloaded my version from Notepad.com, or something like that.
4) Once installed access the V1.1.2 which is likely in
C:\program files (x86), DJI Product, DJI Assistant 2, App files, Main.js
(right click to select open with Notepad++)
5) Scroll down until you find the code \\mainwindow.webcontents.opendevtools() It may be on row 113, or very near that line. Remove the \\ characters at the front of the code, and save the change. Be sure you have saved the change. Close out the app, and go back into the program and review to be sure \\ is no longer in the code.
6) While still in C:\program files (x86), DJI Product, DJI Assistant 2 (Note: no longer in App files folder) right click and select Open, or Run as Administrator. Your computer may prompt you to accept the app making changes, and you select Yes.
7) With DJI Assistant 2 V1.1.2 open, look for >> in the upper right hand corner to the right of the word resources. click the >>. Then, click Local Storage, then File://
8) change the value in the field debug from 0 to 1, and then the field enable debug from false to true.
Note: to change these click on the 0, until only it is highlighted. Change the value and hit enter. Do the same to change false to true.
9) connect Spark via USB to your computer. An icon for Spark will appear. Click the icon. After clicking the icon a panel with a whole bunch of stuff will appear on the left side of DJI Assistant 2 V1.1.2 Scroll down until you see the word parameters.
10) After selecting parameters, a whole lot of stuff will be visible to you. Be careful to not change anything that you don't understand what it does.
11) Look for the parameter g_config_control_control_mode[1] To make it easier, there is a search bar. copy the code on the left to the search bar. It will find the parameter for you. Before you change anything, select the + sign on the far right. Doing so will save the parameter as a 'favorite' for you.)
12) Change the default value (8), which is Sport mode to (3), which is attitude mode.
Your done!
Disconnect Spark from the computer, and close out the application DJI Assistant 2 V1.1.2
When you go out to fly, find an open field. Start with Spark in GPS mode (Sport mode NOT switch on), I recommend that you raise the drone to a height that can not fly into anything. Then when you are ready, switch the sport mode switch to 'on'. Notice that the DJI GO 4 app will indicate that you are in Atti mode - highlighted in yellow
Play around with the mode. Notice that speed of Spark is greater than when in Sport mode. Also notice that the Yaw (left stick turning left or right) is much smoother in atti mode. Be aware that the braking of the Spark is MUCH slower.
To test out the in and out of mode ease, switch the Sport mode switch back to GPS mode. Notice that you are instantly back in GPS mode.
Good luck.
Remember that attitude mode can be risky, but treated with respect will give you a whole new perspective on drones.
If you decide that Atti mode is not for you, follow the instructions above to change back to Sport mode.
Finally, you are doing this at your own risk. I will not be responsible for any problems this causes. This method works easily, and is done by many. go slowly so as to do it right, and you will be fine
Regards
Richard

Hi,
It's this easy. Go slowly as there is a lot on information presented to you, but you will only make small changes to values. So, go slowly to not be overwhelmed
1) Delete DJI Assistant 2 V1.2.6 from your computer. If you don't have it installed, then don't worry about it.
2) Install DJI Assistant 2 V1.1.2 You can download it from this site https://flyflydrones.com/pages/download-links
3) Download Notepad ++ It's free, but be careful where you download it from. I downloaded my version from Notepad.com, or something like that.
4) Once installed access the V1.1.2 which is likely in
C:\program files (x86), DJI Product, DJI Assistant 2, App files, Main.js
(right click to select open with Notepad++)
5) Scroll down until you find the code \\mainwindow.webcontents.opendevtools() It may be on row 113, or very near that line. Remove the \\ characters at the front of the code, and save the change. Be sure you have saved the change. Close out the app, and go back into the program and review to be sure \\ is no longer in the code.
6) While still in C:\program files (x86), DJI Product, DJI Assistant 2 (Note: no longer in App files folder) right click and select Open, or Run as Administrator. Your computer may prompt you to accept the app making changes, and you select Yes.
7) With DJI Assistant 2 V1.1.2 open, look for >> in the upper right hand corner to the right of the word resources. click the >>. Then, click Local Storage, then File://
8) change the value in the field debug from 0 to 1, and then the field enable debug from false to true.
Note: to change these click on the 0, until only it is highlighted. Change the value and hit enter. Do the same to change false to true.
9) connect Spark via USB to your computer. An icon for Spark will appear. Click the icon. After clicking the icon a panel with a whole bunch of stuff will appear on the left side of DJI Assistant 2 V1.1.2 Scroll down until you see the word parameters.
10) After selecting parameters, a whole lot of stuff will be visible to you. Be careful to not change anything that you don't understand what it does.
11) Look for the parameter g_config_control_control_mode[1] To make it easier, there is a search bar. copy the code on the left to the search bar. It will find the parameter for you. Before you change anything, select the + sign on the far right. Doing so will save the parameter as a 'favorite' for you.)
12) Change the default value (8), which is Sport mode to (3), which is attitude mode.
Your done!
Disconnect Spark from the computer, and close out the application DJI Assistant 2 V1.1.2
When you go out to fly, find an open field. Start with Spark in GPS mode (Sport mode NOT switch on), I recommend that you raise the drone to a height that can not fly into anything. Then when you are ready, switch the sport mode switch to 'on'. Notice that the DJI GO 4 app will indicate that you are in Atti mode - highlighted in yellow
Play around with the mode. Notice that speed of Spark is greater than when in Sport mode. Also notice that the Yaw (left stick turning left or right) is much smoother in atti mode. Be aware that the braking of the Spark is MUCH slower.
To test out the in and out of mode ease, switch the Sport mode switch back to GPS mode. Notice that you are instantly back in GPS mode.
Good luck.
Remember that attitude mode can be risky, but treated with respect will give you a whole new perspective on drones.
If you decide that Atti mode is not for you, follow the instructions above to change back to Sport mode.
Finally, you are doing this at your own risk. I will not be responsible for any problems this causes. This method works easily, and is done by many. go slowly so as to do it right, and you will be fine
Regards
Richard
Wow, thank you for taking the time to convey all of this, I appreciate it!

Wow, thank you for taking the time to convey all of this, I appreciate it!
Quick follow up. In atti do we continue to see accurate compass reading and other metrics (assume so)? I had a compass error recently and managed to get back via RTH, but how would one begin to fly back if you lose the compass for a protracted period of time? Gulp.

Quick follow up. In atti do we continue to see accurate compass reading and other metrics (assume so)? I had a compass error recently and managed to get back via RTH, but how would one begin to fly back if you lose the compass for a protracted period of time? Gulp.
I don't know that I can answer your question. In Atti mode all of the telemetry is maintained as it is in GPS mode.
All atti mode does is 'release' the drone's control from GPS mode. However, the GPS mode is always running in the background such that when you switch back to GPS mode, the drone is instantly under GPS control.
A compass error may result in atti mode. However, RTH is independent and should over ride the atti mode switch selection.
to best eliminate compass errors, select the copter icon, then go to advanced settings, sensors state, then make sure your IMU signal strength is excellent, and then select Compass, and be sure the compass signal strength is excellent.
I do this as part of my pre-flight check list.
In full disclosure, when DJI updated their firmware, I lost atti mode as the Sport mode alternative.
Being that I had moved on to Mavic Pro, I did not re-do Spark to atti mode.
I am considering the same steps described above for the Mavic Pro, but have yet to do it.

I don't know that I can answer your question. In Atti mode all of the telemetry is maintained as it is in GPS mode.
All atti mode does is 'release' the drone's control from GPS mode. However, the GPS mode is always running in the background such that when you switch back to GPS mode, the drone is instantly under GPS control.
A compass error may result in atti mode. However, RTH is independent and should over ride the atti mode switch selection.
to best eliminate compass errors, select the copter icon, then go to advanced settings, sensors state, then make sure your IMU signal strength is excellent, and then select Compass, and be sure the compass signal strength is excellent.
I do this as part of my pre-flight check list.
In full disclosure, when DJI updated their firmware, I lost atti mode as the Sport mode alternative.
Being that I had moved on to Mavic Pro, I did not re-do Spark to atti mode.
I am considering the same steps described above for the Mavic Pro, but have yet to do it.
This is extremely helpful thank you!

Spark uses GPS and VPS for horizontal position hold and barometer for altitude position hold. Altitude position hold is always used in any flight modes. When both GPS and VPS not available, it goes into passive ATTI mode and loses horizontal position hold, no assisted breaking, and some telemetry information will not be available. Enabled active ATTI does not use horizontal position hold. No positional hold results in no assisted breaking. When you have an active ATTI mode, it is wise to note when it goes from active to passive. RTH only works when GPS and compass are available in any flight mode.

I installed the old version of Assistant on my laptop and left the official version on a desktop. That way I can use the official one for most tasks and have the old version readily available to tweak the Spark wherever I am. I found practicing with ATTI to be invaluable. The Spark will move with the wind MUCH faster than you expect. And when you give it input from the remote, it will respond to that MUCH faster than normal. It's easy to see why so many people have lost their Spark when it went into ATTI mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef