Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Just had a flyaway today...

Long story short-

NEVER TAKE-OFF WITHOUT ALL GREEN ON GPS AND HOME LOCATION!!!

A random friend of mine found my spark and texted me-Did you loose your drone just now?

I learned a big lesson today...
Oh man, I'm so glad you found it.[emoji106]
You do mean GPS green and Home Point has been set, right?

No it was not... I had low gps signal but who cares about that **** right? Lol

At least you got it back and are aware of why/how it happened so you can prevent it from happening again :) :)

Reactions: BIGLUG24
As a preflight checklist, it helps to be sure that the KPI is 3 or below (risk of solar activity interference - there are apps with this measure included), props are on correctly, battery is secure, IMU has excellent signal, compass has excellent signal, GPS is more than 8, and the home point has been recorded. The KPI is checked before you leave home, all of the rest takes at most two minutes before lift off.

Long story short-

NEVER TAKE-OFF WITHOUT ALL GREEN ON GPS AND HOME LOCATION!!!

A random friend of mine found my spark and texted me-Did you loose your drone just now?

I learned a big lesson today...
I Took off with green light also confirmed with voice yet one and half minutes into the flight calibration issues appeared, the drone was fully calibrated, GPS good, suddenly the remote lost connection, there was no video, the drone was in clear site, atti mode kicked in and it started to drift away picking up speed out of sight,

When I get back home and look at the flight logs I noticed yawl errors and red line showing that the drone continue to fly with 82% battery and 30 km speed until it disappeared,
I went to check that the location before realising that it never landed and @ that speed and battery Life it must off continued Beyond the distance on the flight logs.

Dji replaced the drone but I had to fight about it, people have their own opinions but DJI technicians know very well what happened, they know and see things we don't.

They really need to add independent GPS to track the drones down as the pose a serious threat to public safety and pilots can end up arrested for insurance claims in liability to Accidents, damaged Properties or even persons resulted to death, for example a car accident.

DJI have created incredible Products capable bringing images video to your phone & to the palm of your hand, there is no doubt it is the best thing since cameras were invented but I think they can do just a little bit better as they have already gone beyond their competitors, I think they have reached the point where they are competing between their own brands like cannon and they have limited themselves from resolving this.

I think this spark is almost a failure, flying over a lake causes GPS problems because water reflects and your location changes, also if GPS fails the drone's fail safe System defaults to RTH at the location of the remote, if this does not happen it is not your fault unless you purposely flew into Radio Towers.

Good luck, whatever you do, don't let anyones opinion interfere with the DJI technicians results, a lot of people interpret the idea the pilots do not know what are you doing claiming you should fly the drone in clear site when no one can does this 100% having to look at the phone, Remote and drone at the same time while it is flying, other times people try to accuse you of flying if you inches above the regulated height but This house nothing to do with malfunction on issues the Dji technicians are you familiar with., also DJI designed the drones to be dummy proof, anyone can find them., Everyone should be able to.

In my humble opinion, the Mavic pro Remote system is the best once you have the right firmware - software set up, I have friends who own Mavic pros and they fly them every day, zero problems since a year and half, and they are capable of going very far out of sight.

Last edited:
I Took off with green light also confirmed with voice yet one and half minutes into the flight calibration issues appeared, the drone was fully calibrated, GPS good, suddenly the remote lost connection, there was no video, the drone was in clear site, atti mode kicked in and it started to drift away picking up speed out of sight,

When I get back home and look at the flight logs I noticed yawl errors and red line showing that the drone continue to fly with 82% battery and 30 km speed until it disappeared,
I went to check that the location before realising that it never landed and @ that speed and battery Life it must off continued Beyond the distance on the flight logs.

Dji replaced the drone but I had to fight about it, people have their own opinions but DJI technicians know very well what happened, they know and see things we don't.

They really need to add independent GPS to track the drones down as the pose a serious threat to public safety and pilots can end up arrested for insurance claims in liability to Accidents, damaged Properties or even persons resulted to death, for example a car accident.

DJI have created incredible Products capable bringing images video to your phone & to the palm of your hand, there is no doubt it is the best thing since cameras were invented but I think they can do just a little bit better as they have already gone beyond their competitors, I think they have reached the point where they are competing between their own brands like cannon and they have limited themselves from resolving this.

I think this spark is almost a failure, flying over a lake causes GPS problems because water reflects and your location changes, also if GPS fails the drone's fail safe System defaults to RTH at the location of the remote, if this does not happen it is not your fault unless you purposely flew into Radio Towers.

Good luck, whatever you do, don't let anyones opinion interfere with the DJI technicians results, a lot of people interpret the idea the pilots do not know what are you doing claiming you should fly the drone in clear site when no one can does this 100% having to look at the phone, Remote and drone at the same time while it is flying, other times people try to accuse you of flying if you inches above the regulated height but This house nothing to do with malfunction on issues the Dji technicians are you familiar with., also DJI designed the drones to be dummy proof, anyone can find them., Everyone should be able to.

In my humble opinion, the Mavic pro Remote system is the best once you have the right firmware - software set up, I have friends who own Mavic pros and they fly them every day, zero problems since a year and half, and they are capable of going very far out of sight.
I'm almost sure that the reason of the Mavic Air redundant compass is to avoid those fly aways. This is the main fault of our beloved sparks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis