Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Lightning up a storm

graywoulf

Endeavor to Persevere
Premium Pilot
Join
Mar 30, 2018
Loc
NC
This was a first for me but it was something I have hoped to do someday. There was a big storm brewing a ways off and I sent my Spark up to take a look for me. I didn't have a fully charged battery but I got enough footage to throw this video together. All raw video with all automatic settings. I hope you like it.

Nice capture Graywoulf!
Did you also take some stills..... that would be interesting??
Cheers mate

Reactions: graywoulf
Nice capture Graywoulf!
Did you also take some stills..... that would be interesting??Cheers mate.

Before I launched the Spark, I was trying to capture some shots with my iPad Mini 4 and an app called iLightningCam 2. It will detect the lightning flash as it starts and takes 3 bracketed shots. The bad part is that you have to look through a LOT of photos and save the good ones afterward. It is a good app otherwise. I picked out this one from the few good shots it captured. Thanks for the complement. I will be trying that again weather permitting.

L1.JPG

Nice catch graywoulf! Glad you had enough battery to get the footage. That coupled with the ominous music made for a nice video. Thanks.

Thank you as well. I had to do some digging to find that music and as you could probably tell, it was stitched together to span the video. But it was a quick and easy edit and maybe if I get another opportunity to make a similar video in the future, I can find some more good music like that that fits better time wise.

Reactions: Rwarrior
Before I launched the Spark, I was trying to capture some shots with my iPad Mini 4 and an app called iLightningCam 2. It will detect the lightning flash as it starts and takes 3 bracketed shots. The bad part is that you have to look through a LOT of photos and save the good ones afterward. It is a good app otherwise. I picked out this one from the few good shots it captured. Thanks for the complement. I will be trying that again weather permitting.

View attachment 13227
Nice shot! And I must check out that app.. we get a lot of thunderstorms in Singapore, and I've never had the chance to shoot the lightning flashes.. you've just given me another area to "play with"... this hobby is amazing [emoji106][emoji3]
Thanks, and stay safe..

Ah, Singapore. The one place I would most love to visit. Especially the area around the Singapore Harbor. A beautiful place for sure. I would love to see some lightning photos from there. Take care and please stay safe.

Reactions: Rwarrior
This was a first for me but it was something I have hoped to do someday. There was a big storm brewing a ways off and I sent my Spark up to take a look for me. I didn't have a fully charged battery but I got enough footage to throw this video together. All raw video with all automatic settings. I hope you like it.

Stunning video, love the music! Thank you for sharing.

Very cool. As i commented on the channel, if you have time next time, make sure you are in manual mode and raise your ISO way up so you can capture some of the ground light, it wont lessen the brilliance of the lightning when it flashes, and might make for a cool silhouette albeit with a little noise.. but what the heck!

Your still from the iPad is rocking!

Thanks again for the tip. I flew the Spark up to 300' and was a bit nervous to fly at that altitude but now I wish I had flown to the limit of 400'. I did not even think to check UAV Forecast before I did that flight. Actually there were two flights that night but the first one was not as interesting. That app I use on my iPad can do better than it did that night as well. I has a lot of variables in the settings. I'm glad you like the still shot though. I thought that the tower in the picture would be a plus.

I was trying to capture some shots with my iPad Mini 4 and an app called iLightningCam 2.

I fly with a mini4 and that's all I use it for.

I'm oblivious about apps and stuff for the Apple side of life as I live in a Windows world.

Thanks for sharing the lightning app information. :)

I fly with a mini4 and that's all I use it for. I'm oblivious about apps and stuff for the Apple side of life as I live in a Windows world. Thanks for sharing the lightning app information. :)

I originally bought my Mini 4 just for flying but started discovering a few apps that looked interesting. LightningCam 2 being one of them. It can be useful. I also bought a tripod mount for the Mini4 which is very handy for that app. Otherwise, I am all PC and Windows 10 Pro.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme