Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Limited range in Europe (CE).

Thomas K Gabrielsen

Join
Aug 25, 2017
Hi.
Norwegian first time droneowner here.
I’ve recently bougth an DJI Spark, and I’m wondering why the range limitation in CE-area is so much higher than the Mavic.

If I have my numbers correct, the Mavic have an FCC-range at ca 7km, and a CE-range at ca 4km. That is a reduction of about 43% here in Europe.
The Spark have a FCC-range at 2km and CE-range at 300m (5,8GHz) or 500m (2,4GHz). This is a reduction of ca 75% +/-.

Why is this?

I could understand it if the Spark had ca 1 km range here in Europe (reduction ca 50%), that would be “fair” compared to the Mavic. But a reduction up to 75-80% is to much, in my opinion.

-Thomas

Reactions: stylo21
Because Mavic is using different technology , weeker signal can penetrate greater distances . At the end signal strength in dbi is caped at the same lvl.
Spark uses normal WiFi at CE limit
Mavic uses ocusync witch do a dynamic channels hopping , but still at CE dbi limit.

The Spark have a FCC-range at 2km and CE-range at 300m (5,8GHz) or 500m (2,4GHz). This is a reduction of ca 75% +/-.

Why is this?

-Thomas
Regarding this point, the difference at 5.8G, the wifi channels used by the Spark are, in FCC mode, just normal Wifi channels where FCC allow more power than in CE (for 5.8G wifi).
What make the think even worst is that these channels in CE mode are not normal wifi channels but dedicated to Short Range Device (SRD), reducing again by a factor the power that can be used. This is also why many android phones have an issue with 5.8G Spark channels as they are not "normal wifi channels" and are not accessible by android; where IOS devices don't care and make them accessible.

Spark frequency range is 5.73-5.8 ghz is the up scale of 5.8ghz

Sent from my Apollo Lite using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app
It is usual Wifi channels for US but not for Europa. Spark using these channels is a good choice for US, poor for Europa and average for a worldwide product. This don't take into account marketing point of view for DJI.

If I new before of the CE limitation I would have bought the fly more in the first place.
Range with a smart phone is around 80M while with Controller I only get 215M approx.

For EU countries the Magic is the way to go!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

If I new before of the CE limitation I would have bought the fly more in the first place.
Range with a smart phone is around 80M while with Controller I only get 215M approx.

With phone connection, there is in any case a fence limit to 100 m. Only RC connected with the Go4 app allows you to go further.

The Spark was designed to be a "selfie" drone -- it wasn't designed to be a distance flyer. Go look at all the pictures in the DJI marketing material: 3 teens around a table with the Spark flying in the middle, a woman doing a palm launch, a woman taking a selfie with gesture mode, and a family in a park with the Spark up about 20 feet doing a selfie with gesture mode. Now look at the Mavic page: First thing mentioned in the 7k controller distance.

The Spark was designed to be a "selfie" drone -- it wasn't designed to be a distance flyer. Go look at all the pictures in the DJI marketing material: 3 teens around a table with the Spark flying in the middle, a woman doing a palm launch, a woman taking a selfie with gesture mode, and a family in a park with the Spark up about 20 feet doing a selfie with gesture mode. Now look at the Mavic page: First thing mentioned in the 7k controller distance.
Yes/No,
Yes it is what is advertised but they will of coarse put at first what they think is their best selling point.
Yes, if you buy a drone that use wifi (Phantom 3S b.e.) you cannot expect a lot in term of real range. Wifi is just too much used and not for long range real time video transmission.
No because here it is question of real range difference between CE / FCC mode and nobody would complain if in Europe there would be similar range as in US.

This is not 100% true. (Only officially).
I can go further and higher on WiFi only with my spark.
This is a DJI fence for safety, we don't speak here of possible or potential hack.

I got 891 meters in 5.8ghz at 91 meters altitude no otg and could have gone further but didn't want to push itScreenshot_20180221-201815.jpg1518815763168.jpg1518815787719.jpg

Reactions: Stratos
This is not 100% true. (Only officially).
I can go further and higher on WiFi only with my spark.
Hi SafariMan. Good to know that it is possible. Can you maybe tell me how (hack). I live in South Africa and I am very lucky if I get more than 120m distance from RC. I just want to push to about 400-500m

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex