Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

No Smart RTH With DJI GO 4 App?

Amckim2084

Join
Mar 27, 2019
Loc
Missouri
So I've been going over all the settings on the DJI GO 4 app for the Spark and I noticed that there is no setting to enable/disable Smart RTH. When I flew a P3 Standard before on the other app. I had that setting and would adjust it as needed for certain flights. I'm assuming the Spark or DJI Go 4 app has the Smart RTH permanently enabled?

So I've been going over all the settings on the DJI GO 4 app for the Spark and I noticed that there is no setting to enable/disable Smart RTH. When I flew a P3 Standard before on the other app. I had that setting and would adjust it as needed for certain flights. I'm assuming the Spark or DJI Go 4 app has the Smart RTH permanently enabled?

Can you explain why you would want to turn off Smart RTH? Is only enabled when you push the RTH button on RC or in Go4 app so not sure what the harm is there in it always being in standby.

And wouldn't you want Spark to start RTH automatically if connection lost? Or battery too low?

I just can't think why you wouldn't even want it available. What's the advantage on completely turning it off?

Maybe Spark just had too many fly aways to allow you to turn RTH completely off?!? I'm assuming you found the Settings screen where you can adjust height for RTH and other options.

Reactions: Marksspark
It's more of a moderately-smart RTH. It goes different things based on the distance from home and you have a few options like altitude (or not). No avoidance possible.

Reactions: Andre Levite
Can you explain why you would want to turn off Smart RTH? Is only enabled when you push the RTH button on RC or in Go4 app so not sure what the harm is there in it always being in standby.

And wouldn't you want Spark to start RTH automatically if connection lost? Or battery too low?

I just can't think why you wouldn't even want it available. What's the advantage on completely turning it off?

Maybe Spark just had too many fly aways to allow you to turn RTH completely off?!? I'm assuming you found the Settings screen where you can adjust height for RTH and other options.

I use to do a few one way mission flights on Litchi with the P3 Standard. Turning off Smart RTH would prevent the P3 from doing an RTH based on distance and battery life.

I use to do a few one way mission flights on Litchi with the P3 Standard. Turning off Smart RTH would prevent the P3 from doing an RTH based on distance and battery life.

The Spark has much less reliable connection to RC compared to Phantom. If DJI allowed users to turn off RTH completely there would be many more fly aways. DJI considers it a "beginner drone". The Smart RTH has several other limitations combared to Phantom for this reason (due to hardware constraints as well).

Welcome to The Forum!

Reactions: Jana
The Spark has much less reliable connection to RC compared to Phantom. If DJI allowed users to turn off RTH completely there would be many more fly aways. DJI considers it a "beginner drone". The Smart RTH has several other limitations combared to Phantom for this reason (due to hardware constraints as well).

Welcome to The Forum!

I could understand that. I just got the Spark so I'm still learning about it. I wasn't aware of all the fly aways they had. I would lose connection on my Litchi missions all the time with P3 but trusted it enough to complete the missions, which they have, with the exception of one flight where Smart RTH from the GO app took over and brought it home. The mission time was short enough to complete without the battery dying but it RTH based on distance and battery life. I don't plan on doing long missions again on Litchi with the Spark but I just happen to notice the missing feature during app setup.

Reactions: McCloudSpark
I could understand that. I just got the Spark so I'm still learning about it. I wasn't aware of all the fly aways they had. I would lose connection on my Litchi missions all the time with P3 but trusted it enough to complete the missions, which they have, with the exception of one flight where Smart RTH from the GO app took over and brought it home. The mission time was short enough to complete without the battery dying but it RTH based on distance and battery life. I don't plan on doing long missions again on Litchi with the Spark but I just happen to notice the missing feature during app setup.
Litchi on the Spark will also complete a mission without an RC connection assuming there is enough battery.

Litchi on the Spark will also complete a mission without an RC connection assuming there is enough battery.

I figured it would. It only RTH on the P3 during a one way flight when the Smart RTH was enabled. But I love this little Spark for the very reason that it’s so portable and I can get out more and fly. Not gonna send this thing out on a one way flight. Only round trips this time lol. I have an epic 5 mile one way flight on my channel so I think that’s enough lol.

I figured it would. It only RTH on the P3 during a one way flight when the Smart RTH was enabled. But I love this little Spark for the very reason that it’s so portable and I can get out more and fly. Not gonna send this thing out on a one way flight. Only round trips this time lol. I have an epic 5 mile one way flight on my channel so I think that’s enough lol.

AHHHH, Litchi!

Gotta love it.
Litchi does have a switch the smart return.
Seems to be the only option for P3 if you want to go further than 1/2 the battery.

Wish I had known about it.
Sent my Spark out to my house from work.
Got 400ft from the 2nd waypoint at my house and decided to turn around and return to take off point.

Welcome to the forum

I know DJI Go4 used to have 3 options for the Spark (maybe a year ago) when signal is lost the spark would do one of the following (RTH / Hover in place / or Land) - the default was set to RTH, but if you manually changed the setting, it would stay in that setting until you manually change it back. So fly away should not be the issue (thinking that would be more GPS loss related). I wish DJI would enable the three options again as they used to. I do waypoint missions using Drone Harmony and would do one way missions and land at a set location (not the original take off point), still in VLOS until it dropped below a treeline or building, then lose signal. What would be good in my opinion, is for DJI the reinstate those 3 options, but everytime you shut the controller off and turn back on - it automatically defaults back to the RTH vs whatever you had programmed last. This way the RTH is best for most instances when signal is lost, but also allow you to manually override for a single purpose flight.

I do appreciate the detailed answer but it doesn't relate to the original question...

We were trying to determine if anybody using iOS has been able to set Home Point to the location of the RC/device instead of the location of aircraft.

We can see that option in the Settings but when selected a "weak device GPS signal" error comes up. This is clearly erroneous because AC has same view of sky as RC/device and 17 satellites locked.

If anybody has this working please explain how it's done. This feature would be very handy when boating or hiking because the original launch point gets far from your actual location.

I vaguely remember this issue being a software bug but strange that it's not fixed 9 months later.

I do appreciate the detailed answer but it doesn't relate to the original question...

We were trying to determine if anybody using iOS has been able to set Home Point to the location of the RC/device instead of the location of aircraft.

We can see that option in the Settings but when selected a "weak device GPS signal" error comes up. This is clearly erroneous because AC has same view of sky as RC/device and 17 satellites locked.

If anybody has this working please explain how it's done. This feature would be very handy when boating or hiking because the original launch point gets far from your actual location.

I vaguely remember this issue being a software bug but strange that it's not fixed 9 months later.

I remember on the P3 there was an option for setting home point for the controller at the time I had it. Don’t know what it is now since I don’t have a P3 anymore but it would be nice to have that for the Spark. I do go hiking a lot and plan on kayaking this summer. I guess the best option for now is just bring it back to you before the battery gets low enough to RTH.

Hmmm - I don't recall seeing IOS mentioned, or setting RTH to the remote in the original question in this topic - unless I'm reading it wrong, or missing a page in the string. Either way it's all good.

Reactions: pmshop
Hmmm - I don't recall seeing IOS mentioned, or setting RTH to the remote in the original question in this topic - unless I'm reading it wrong, or missing a page in the string. Either way it's all good.

I see what's going on. Several different questions in this thread all loosely related to RTH. The various responses are out of sequence with each other -- my bad.

But if anyone knows how the address the RTH settings issue in #11 it would be much appreciated.

With iOS on an iPhone 7...
On the 3 dot menu, first item of settings:
First icon sets the home point where the AC is at.
Second icon sets the home point where the MOBILE DEVICE is at...not the controller.
So if you have a mobile device that does not have GPS, the latter cannot be performed.
And I must say, even with my iPhone 7, it was very difficult to set where I was instead of the initial homepoint.

With iOS on an iPhone 7...
On the 3 dot menu, first item of settings:
View attachment 9351
First icon sets the home point where the AC is at.
Second icon sets the home point where the MOBILE DEVICE is at...not the controller.
So if you have a mobile device that does not have GPS, the latter cannot be performed.
And I must say, even with my iPhone 7, it was very difficult to set where I was instead of the initial homepoint.

Yes. That's the settings screen we have been referring to. The right side icon is the site of the device and the RC (they are attached so same location). The RC has no GPS antenna so it gets GPS data from device.

There's no problem locating or selecting the proper icon. The problem is the error message that prevents device/RC from being selected as home point. It says "device GPS signal weak" and won't allow selection of right side icon. The drone connects and flies fine - but only if left side icon is selected.

I am using iPhone X so great device GPS signal. Spark sees 17 satellites so good location too.

Apparently this problem is hard to understand or very few people having this issue. Thanks for your input

...or very few people having this issue.

As a WiFi only mini4 user, I don't have this issue. Lol. ?

This is good information to know about the iOS as I was thinking about maybe upgrading to a mini4 with GPS for the "return to me" and "Find my drone" feature but if it doesn't work, I don't see any benefit in upgrading at this time.

I thought Apple and DJI worked well together?

Reactions: Andre Levite
AHHHH, Litchi!

Gotta love it.
Litchi does have a switch the smart return.
Seems to be the only option for P3 if you want to go further than 1/2 the battery.

Wish I had known about it.
Sent my Spark out to my house from work.
Got 400ft from the 2nd waypoint at my house and decided to turn around and return to take off point.
Can we assume that you did find it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast