Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

[Noobie Question] Spark - really that unreliable?

Then you shouldn’t take off. Relocate to an area where you can get gps.
The first part is correct, but the second
Ok... I got my new, replacement Spark yesterday after losing GPS and crashing into trees. I should have been able to control it in ATTI but in the panic as it flew away fast, I couldn't respond fast enough. After receiving it, I wrote to Tech Support to ask what the "diagnosis" was. This is the first response.
"Our technicians concluded that it was a user error since the last recorded command were your input controls when you were trying to regain control. As for the reason the Spark lost GPS signal was the fact that there was weak satellite signals attributed by underground wires such as fiber optics and other electrical wiring with a certain frequency range overlapping over the satellite signal."
I wrote back to say I was at the edge of a small inlet and marsh with no wires, towers, buildings, NOTHING around for miles. I didn't see any reason for any disastrous interference with satellite signals.
He responded:
"The only data they have was the flight logs saved on your crashed Spark. And that data simply shows the recorded flight and system issues the drone was experiencing an the time. External factors would be difficult to determine as all they can go by would be GPS coordinates during the time of the incident.
Since the data shows that there was still connectivity with the remote during the flight the crash would not be considered as a drone malfunction but due to factors than voided the warranty. And with that last known command before impact was your input commands.
While specifically not considered your fault due to the fact you were simply trying to regain control but the conclusion and end result was as data stated. All in all it was an unfortunate unforeseen incident."
So... bottom line. Pilot error. I'm assuming because I had been driving with the Spark and did NOT calibrate the compass before flying, the GPS system failed. I have to assume this because I don't want to be afraid to fly for fear of losing control again. I want it to have been MY fault... something I can prevent by learning to be a better pilot. Hopefully this is true.

"I'm assuming because I had been driving with the Spark and did NOT calibrate the compass before flying, the GPS system failed."
How can you just assume this? What evidence do you have to support this notion. How many flights had you previously completed before this event?
DJI's assessment was: "As for the reason the Spark lost GPS signal was the fact that ...."
Their assessment was that "the Spark lost GPS" for reasons that don't seem believable from your (Rick's) assessment of the surrounding environment. (Since they acknowledge that they can look-up the last known GPS coordinates, I don't know why they couldn't just look it up on Google Maps)
That doesn't change the fact that the "Spark lost GPS".
They did not mention the compass. They would have the diagnostic ability to pinpoint an un-calibrated compass and they would have pinned it on you easily.

And regarding the compass-GPS interaction, you mentioned (whilst acknowledging your sketchy understanding):
"From what I understand, it's not so much that you're losing GPS as it is that the GPS system needs a good compass to work. The GPS only registers a POINT on the map. The compass is what the Spark uses to update it's location by knowing what direction it's moving. So, apparently, if the GPS system thinks it's going north, but the bad compass is heading west, all hell breaks loose."
Not correct. The Compass is merely telling you which direction the front of the craft is pointed. This is helpful if your were trying to fly in a tight space and needed to be sure which way the craft would go when you push the joy stick forward (or back, left, right). It can help you "before" you make an action.
Yes the GPS plots points at different time intervals to calculate speed and direction traveled (past tense, after the travel has occurred). With a Quadcopter, that travel may have happened going forward, in reverse or side ways.
There is an illusion that they are working together, but they are not. They might come in the same package, but they are not dependent on each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparkbart
My Spark has been a little temperamental with some days I hate the thing and others I love it but its still the best little drone out there. I would buy it again.

I have a been trying to get a new tablet that I just bought for the DJI Spark (which I am also new to about a month ago). My Samsung Galaxy S8+ and Samsung Note 4 work just fine with the OTG Cable (still needing to run 4.1.15). However, I just bought a new Lenovo Tab 4 8" which is going to be the dedicated device for the Spark. It works really well on WiFi but I cannot get the OTG cable to work at all. I never get the Go Fly button to light up. When I connect the cable, I see the battery light blink at the very top of the icon but that is it. If I connect the same OTG cable from the Lenovo to the Note 4 the battery icon goes to a charge indicator.
The tablet is really fast and has a very nice screen. Fits in the extended tablet holder nicely, but cannot get the OTG cable to work. I have tried setting the USB to debugging mode with no luck. Has anyone found out if there are tablets that just don't connect at all with the OTG cable and the Spark RC, or if there is a setting I need to do to make it connect?
Thanks in advance for any help!

I have a been trying to get a new tablet that I just bought for the DJI Spark (which I am also new to about a month ago). My Samsung Galaxy S8+ and Samsung Note 4 work just fine with the OTG Cable (still needing to run 4.1.15). However, I just bought a new Lenovo Tab 4 8" which is going to be the dedicated device for the Spark. It works really well on WiFi but I cannot get the OTG cable to work at all. I never get the Go Fly button to light up. When I connect the cable, I see the battery light blink at the very top of the icon but that is it. If I connect the same OTG cable from the Lenovo to the Note 4 the battery icon goes to a charge indicator.
The tablet is really fast and has a very nice screen. Fits in the extended tablet holder nicely, but cannot get the OTG cable to work. I have tried setting the USB to debugging mode with no luck. Has anyone found out if there are tablets that just don't connect at all with the OTG cable and the Spark RC, or if there is a setting I need to do to make it connect?
Thanks in advance for any help!
OTG has be disabled for Android in the latest update. There are a 100 threads about this on various forums.

OTG has be disabled for Android in the latest update. There are a 100 threads about this on various forums.

am running verison 4.1.15. It works just fine on my Galaxy S8+ and Note 4 but not the Lenovo Tab4 8". I have turned off updates on the Lenovo and ensured I am running 4.1.15 (not 4.1.18).

I have had a Spark and a Mavic for a few weeks now and I am very happy with both of them. That being said, they are different machines.

I find myself flying the Spark most of the time. It is just really fun. I took the time to completely learn everything about it before trying to do stuff. I read the documentation and watched enough videos to find the common threads and who really knows what they are talking about.

It seems to me that a lot of folks who have issues are new and don't take enough time to understand how the thing works before they just take off and fly a mile away. Or I read post after post about people who are trying to push the Spark to it's limits. It was not designed as a mini Mavic and it won't be one. For a drone this size the intended limits are awesome and way beyond any other drone in its class already. If you try to find the limits of it then you surely will.

I have had no issues with my Spark and I hope it stays that way but I have been flying RC stuff for many years and I know that it won't. At some point something will happen either by me doing something stupid or some malfunction. I have also read all of the bad stuff but I just choose to make sure I learn enough to know what I am doing and then go fly the thing and have fun!

I've had both the Spark and (now) the Mavic, and my android phones that would not work the Spark remote work fine with the Mavic remote. I believe DJI always knew that the OTG would not be reliable across all devices for the Spark remote, and that's why it was never actively promoted.

Try swapping the order in which you connect the cable. Mine refuses to recognise the device unless I make the connection to the RC first. Still on 4.1.15 with my S7 Edge.

Sent from my SM-G935F using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app
Already tried that. It almost connects since I see the top of the battery icon blinking as soon as I plug it in but that's all it does. It stops blinking when I remove it so it does see the connection. Just not sure if the Lenovo Tab 4 8" is compatible with the cable and didn't know if anyone else was experiencing a similar issue. The tablet is perfect size, speed, power, and price... everything except the connection for OTG. They do make a Tab 4 8plus which uses the new usb C connector.

Already tried that. It almost connects since I see the top of the battery icon blinking as soon as I plug it in but that's all it does. It stops blinking when I remove it so it does see the connection. Just not sure if the Lenovo Tab 4 8" is compatible with the cable and didn't know if anyone else was experiencing a similar issue. The tablet is perfect size, speed, power, and price... everything except the connection for OTG. They do make a Tab 4 8plus which uses the new usb C connector.
I sorta understand your frustration, but the "bottom-line" that the OTG is not supported by DJI. Sure folks are rolling back to prior versions and that may work for the time being, but until DJI makes the fix we are all screwed. I'll just fly my Mavic till it's all straightened out.

True, but since my other phones work on it, I think it is something with the tablet and not the DJI software, cable, or hardware. Would be great to hear if anyone else has been successful with the Lenovo Tab 4 8".

It might be worth checking that your tablet actually has OTG capabilities. Not all of them do- my phone, a Samsung Galaxy xcover 3, doesn't. You can download a little app from the play store called 'OTG?' to check if your tab actually can do OTG stuff.

Unfortunately, OTG capabilities are rarely listed in the specifications :(.

It might be worth checking that your tablet actually has OTG capabilities. Not all of them do- my phone, a Samsung Galaxy xcover 3, doesn't. You can download a little app from the play store called 'OTG?' to check if your tab actually can do OTG stuff.

Unfortunately, OTG capabilities are rarely listed in the specifications :(.
I also have done that with 3 different ones and they all passed OTG as well as Lenovo states it supports it. I haven't seen a phone or tablet that does support OTG that doesn't work with the Spark. Just really strange.

I also have done that with 3 different ones and they all passed OTG as well as Lenovo states it supports it. I haven't seen a phone or tablet that does support OTG that doesn't work with the Spark. Just really strange.
I don't think its strange...1) It's no secret that the Android OS isn't all that stable on DJI platforms. 2)Now throw an supported connection method (i.e.OTG) into the picture; irregardless of whether or not it connects on other devices with older versions.

I'm not a hardware engineer, but I'm sure that DJI has a very technical reason not to support OTG. Mind you they (DJI) have NEVER supported OTG.

I don't think its strange...1) It's no secret that the Android OS isn't all that stable on DJI platforms. 2)Now throw an supported connection method (i.e.OTG) into the picture; irregardless of whether or not it connects on other devices with older versions.

I'm not a hardware engineer, but I'm sure that DJI has a very technical reason not to support OTG. Mind you they (DJI) have NEVER supported OTG.
Irregardless is not a word. Android is the platform for Crystal Sky, which works flawlessly for me, and apparently for others.

Irregardless is not a word. Android is the platform for Crystal Sky, which works flawlessly for me, and apparently for others.
Sorry, I wasn't finished. DJI do support OTG for Mavic. I keep reading people who say DJI doesn't support it for Spark. Not saying that's not so, but I've never seen any corroboration from DJI on that. (Honest question, please don't get upset: can anyone point me to something officially from DJI that says they don't support it for Spark?)

A) The CrystalSky is a DJI product which they (DJI) developed the hardware. B) The Android OS on the CS is a "scaled down" version of Android.

Sorry, I wasn't finished. DJI do support OTG for Mavic. I keep reading people who say DJI doesn't support it for Spark. Not saying that's not so, but I've never seen any corroboration from DJI on that. (Honest question, please don't get upset: can anyone point me to something officially from DJI that says they don't support it for Spark?)
You must me living in a vacuum...because DJI has stated that OTG was NOT supported since Day 1...here's one of many posts from DJI:

upload_2017-12-30_20-40-23.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar