Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Obstacle avoidance

Jeff.Narrazo

Join
Jul 9, 2019
Hey guys. So, here I am trying to fly my spark indoors and noticed that when I pointed my phone camera in front of the drone the infrared sensor for the obstacle avoidance is not on ( even it is on in the settings and not in sports mode). So I tried to fly it close to the wall and it is not noticing that it's about to hit it. The radar like symbols are not showing on the dji go4 app. It shows for a bit when I toggled sports mode then back to normal mode but still doesn't notice the wall. Any suggestions on what to do?

Try to Restore to default And Install a fresh new firmware through DJI assistant 2.

Is this a new Spark? If so, has the protective foil over the sensor been completely removed?
Well, I've been using it for a while now. Just that I never had a chance to test the OA until this past few days. And yes, the protective foil has been removed.

Hey guys. So, here I am trying to fly my spark indoors and noticed that when I pointed my phone camera in front of the drone the infrared sensor for the obstacle avoidance is not on ( even it is on in the settings and not in sports mode). So I tried to fly it close to the wall and it is not noticing that it's about to hit it. The radar like symbols are not showing on the dji go4 app. It shows for a bit when I toggled sports mode then back to normal mode but still doesn't notice the wall. Any suggestions on what to do?
if i remember when flying indoors ( ATTI mode ) page 9 in the spark manual states the vision system and some advance features are disabled .

Reactions: Bharatha1984
if i remember when flying indoors ( ATTI mode ) page 9 in the spark manual states the vision system and some advance features are disabled .
I was able to read that as well. However, I saw some videos in YouTube that the OA still works. I tried to fly it outside to see if there's a difference when I have GPS but still it was not able to detect the wall or the tree. It was able to detect the rug I placed under it when I flew indoors though (OPTI mode). It's just the OA sensor is not working.

I was able to read that as well. However, I saw some videos in YouTube that the OA still works. I tried to fly it outside to see if there's a difference when I have GPS but still it was not able to detect the wall or the tree. It was able to detect the rug I placed under it when I flew indoors though (OPTI mode). It's just the OA sensor is not working.
sometimes when i test my spark i have to get real close up before i get the warring sometimes it works perfectly or maybe it's a lag in real time . don't forget we are using a mass produce $250 drone and QC is not their top priority .

sometimes when i test my spark i have to get real close up before i get the warring sometimes it works perfectly or maybe it's a lag in real time . don't forget we are using a mass produce $250 drone and QC is not their top priority .
That can be a factor. I got like about 6 inches close to a wall and the props were about 2-3 inches closer but got no warnings.

one other thing when flying , Obstacle avoidance may need movement and not a solid wall or a mirror or flying over water it needs definition in the background . i really don't know exactly how the sensor works but it's good to have when working properly .

Okay, after a day or two of diagnosing and figuring out what is the problem, I headed to the store where I got my spark for further checking. It turns out that it's really the sensor that is having an issue. So we decided to send it to Dji for repairs since it's still under warranty. I thank you guys for the inputs. I'll post an update once it's back. ?

Okay, after a day or two of diagnosing and figuring out what is the problem, I headed to the store where I got my spark for further checking. It turns out that it's really the sensor that is having an issue. So we decided to send it to Dji for repairs since it's still under warranty. I thank you guys for the inputs. I'll post an update once it's back. ?
Must be hardware issue. I very rarely test my drone indoors and it does detect obstacles in front of it at about 1 meter distance and refuses to go further forward.

I have been playing with my spark recently using a mission to do an inspection of sorts on a house Im tearing down.

Lots of fun...driving tractor through walls of a residence gets major redneck points...and if someone is in the house at same time double points !

Really trying to see just how close I can get ...and as i'm learning how consistent a flight patern is flown on different days.

No scientific data but observations are that flying slow...1.5-3.5 mph 3-8 ft altitude spark nose pointed in....facing walls.......10 ft holes in walls...and lets say 3-8 ft away Litchi...spark acts as I had hoped...meaning obsical avoidance wast triggered... ....the only time the radar went off was as it got close to a bit of used to be shrubery/ mostly weeds now...it would just stop no attempt to back up...go up...down...just hover2-3 minutes and I took controll back

In real world litchi flight I have seen first hand how well the spark flew right at a tree i thought had been cut down...at 13-14 mph horizontal speed...and 25 ft or so and rising altitude...it was so impressive to see it slow down...back up a bit and then at slight angle change fly into tree again...i3 times it corrected itself before it got around and then went on to fly the mission.

I had a very similar experience using litchi and an android phone tracking a Polaris Rzr in a open field...that phone was an issue from day one with crashes of the phone operating system

All that to say I dont know why it hangs up at low speed and I assume would continue to hover instead of "finding a clear path around" as was case at high speed

Just my testing flight parameters that others my call goofing off...trying not to engage in some activity that might pay the bills or such nonsense.

Must be hardware issue. I very rarely test my drone indoors and it does detect obstacles in front of it at about 1 meter distance and refuses to go further forward.
It can really be a hardware issue. Mine doesn't detect anything. The bottom sensors do work. It's already sent to Dji for repair and I'm just waiting for it to be sent back.

Reactions: nt4show
It can really be a hardware issue. Mine doesn't detect anything. The bottom sensors do work. It's already sent to Dji for repair and I'm just waiting for it to be sent back.
I’ve had mine for over a year it did crash once although that sensor has been intermittent and it doesn’t always work. I noticed if I have are low to the ground at about 5 inches then it seems to start working and then the forward sensor works again. This is indoor as well as outdoor no difference. Did you ever get your drone back and did they say what the problem is. It Seems F if it needs to be calibrated as all the other drones have that option in the assistant. I don’t see it for the spark.

Hi, after try the "gesture piloting" in dji go 4 i have a same big problem : now my spark has no front obstacle avoidance and no landing "bip".
Also now the height is negative (in red) when I start the motors. All seem to have be desactivated by the "palm pilot" even if I close normaly the application.
Of course I try to change firmware (downgrade and up), reset factory, uninstall dji go... no effect :(
Could you help me plz ?

My Forward sensor when not in sport not working any longer and its been this way a few months. I was hoping there where others with similar problems and has no error codes. The downward sensor seems to partially work but not accurate and its off a few feet. I have noticed at 4 feet it shows about 6 feet and at landing occasionally will hop as it does not know exact height and seems to base its calculation that its landed do to resistance on prop speed prior to shutting down. I've seen no videos on this, there has to be others with same situation out there. reminder no error codes and visual avoidance not working. fly's great with no problems.

What was the result of your finding with DJI after the repairs where done and you received your spark back? I did not see any follow up posting. Any advice will help. Thanks in advance.

My Forward sensor when not in sport not working any longer and its been this way a few months.

Did you turn the Obstacle Avoidance OFF in the Go4 app and forget to turn it back ON at one time?

If it's OFF, the OA indicator (next to the WiFi signal) should be red in color on the flight screen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme