Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Ocean beach shots

mike1960

Join
Jun 4, 2019
I'm going on a cruise in January.
I plan on getting some ocean beach shots. I can use some advice on it . I wouldn't want to use up all my batteries just trying to find the right settings. Or to realize that I needed a nd filter. How do you do it and stay away from people?
TIA

I'm going on a cruise in January.
I plan on getting some ocean beach shots. I can use some advice on it . I wouldn't want to use up all my batteries just trying to find the right settings. Or to realize that I needed a nd filter. How do you do it and stay away from people?
TIA

First step would be to make sure the cruise line allows drones on their ships. Some members have found they had a "no drone policy" with specific carriers.

Second step would be to check the drone regulations in your destination country. Those vary greatly.

A polarizing filter is more helpful at the beach because it cuts glare and makes water look better. ND is mostly for slowing shutter speed to introduce subtle motion blur. There are combo filters but much more expensive.

Tough to stay away from people at a tourist spot. I've had best success getting up at sunrise and finding isolated spots on Google Earth.

Going on Carnival. It's the only drone friendly cruise line. I have been checking on regulations in different countries. Polaroid filter is a good idea. The people thing concerns me. I want to get some nice shots but not get into trouble .
You're right. A lot of people wouldn't have thought about if a cruise line would allow drones or not. And the regulations in different countries.

Polar Pro has great filters, for beach water on sunny days, I use ND8/PL. reasonably priced and easy to use. if you want to stay away from people, hah, you need to be our over the water.....

Practice before you go. It’s not rocket science it’s all trial and error. Don’t be intimidated by people just find a quiet spot to launch from. I tell people all the time don’t draw attention to yourself. You don’t want to be lining up the perfect shot with someone asking you questions or even worse mad because you are buzzing a drone.

Anyway here is a video from a cruise I took last year. I was way more gun shy then than I am now. Taking this same trip this year again and looking forward to making an even better video this year.

I used various ND filters from a 4 to a 16.

Last edited:
Nice little video scrap book.:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex