Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG YES OR NO IN DEC 2018??!

The best reason is that it allows you to put the iPhone into airplane mode so you don't have pop-ups that cause you to lose the screen.

Don’t you need to put to take it off airplane mode to be able for the map to be able to update/use in Google Earth view mode? I like that rather than map mode for reference.

Yes to OTG. They fixed prior problem several months ago with an update. Zero problems
Last DJI Go 4 update wrecked my OTG connection. I have a Galaxy Note 8 and was using the OTG with no issues, updated the app and now it shows camera view but no satellites, no battery, no camera settings, nothing. Unplug the OTG and use it via bluetooth and everything works... Uninstalled it, reinstalled it, still u/s

Last DJI Go 4 update wrecked my OTG connection. I have a Galaxy Note 8 and was using the OTG with no issues, updated the app and now it shows camera view but no satellites, no battery, no camera settings, nothing. Unplug the OTG and use it via bluetooth and everything works... Uninstalled it, reinstalled it, still u/s

OTG still works fine with updated iOS devices...

Android not so much

Last edited:
I have a Samsung Note 8 and a generic Android tablet from Vizio (came with a TV) and OTG is working for me on both devices using DJI GO 4 v4.3.8.

I was inquiring about OTG cable for iOS and was told by DJI support that it still not supported and it is being worked on for the iOS devices. I talked with DJI on computer through text yesterday, the reason I asked DJI was worried about warranty problems if used cable and had issues. I have a cable and made a couple flights with it just not sure if I will continue in case of issues and possible being declined warranty.

Last edited:
Plenty of folks with recent posts in this thread would beg to differ with DJI.

OTG appears to be working just fine for both iOS and Android. I'm just about to order the iOS/Lightning version of the cable made by RCGEEKS to use with my iPad Air. I've already tested Android micro-USB and USB3 cables with a Samsung Note 8, a Vizio XR6P10, and an HTC One M8 and they all work great.

I am by no means saying it won't work, just stating what DJI told me. I know mine worked for the 2 flights I tried it with and probably would have no issues, but if there was a issue it gives DJI a reason to tell you sorry for your problem. I have no prior experience with them for support, but most company's try every possible reason to not pay in the end.

Understood. But if I have to make a choice between a wi-fi and OTG connection for the safety of my Spark, I'm going with OTG every time. Supported or not, from what I've read Wi-fi just seems too flakey.

Hi ,
What’s the current situation with the Otg is it ok to use again or not as some you tube videos a year ago swear by them then they say firmware killed the use of one and some display features went during flight like gps and other functions ???

If I was to get one for iOS what one is the best ??
It works 100%. But you have to know what you are doing

I fly my spark with otg, AND without it, no issues at all.
Actually, I think that wireless connection is more comfortable and quick, than otg connection. But it's just my experience, with my setup.

I was inquiring about OTG cable for iOS and was told by DJI support that it still not supported and it is being worked on for the iOS devices. I talked with DJI on computer through text yesterday, the reason I asked DJI was worried about warranty problems if used cable and had issues. I have a cable and made a couple flights with it just not sure if I will continue in case of issues and being declined warranty.

You were in direct contact with DJI -- did they actually tell you that "use of an OTG cable invalidates warranty coverage"? Or is that an assumption?!?

I use OTG cable and had warranty work done without a problem.

You were in direct contact with DJI -- did they actually tell you that "use of an OTG cable invalidates warranty coverage"? Or is that an assumption?!?

I use OTG cable and had warranty work done without a problem.

It was DJI in forum of messenger/text in online support. I did not ask about warranty because they stated it was not approved for iOS and was still being worked on. So to answer your question I assume it could be a problem with warranty.

It was DJI in forum of messenger/text in online support. I did not ask about warranty because they stated it was not approved for iOS and was still being worked on. So to answer your question I assume it could be a problem with warranty.

OK. Instead of posting assumptions I contacted DJI online myself: They confirmed that use of OTG cable does not invalidate the Spark's warranty.

They said that "not supported" just means they don't provide technical support for the feature or guarantee its function because OTG cable isn't compatible with all Android devices.

[The Mavic Pro actually uses OTG as the default connection and is "fully supported"]

Last edited:
We don't need an otg cable with Mavic pro, just an ordinary usb data cable.

But the MP has two USB ports, right? I'm guessing that the one used for connecting your mobile device is "hard wired" to use its OTG capability.

Hey,
I'm new to flying (and the forum), Just getting my head around the drone in general! I've bought an OTG cable as I felt that it's always better to have a hardwired connection to something as opposed to a wireless connection so I didn't think it would do any harm to try it!!
I have heard that DJI would take issue with any claim on the refresh insurance *if* you are using an OTG cable as it's not 'officially' supported? is this true?

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme