Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG YES OR NO IN DEC 2018??!

Hey,
I'm new to flying (and the forum), Just getting my head around the drone in general! I've bought an OTG cable as I felt that it's always better to have a hardwired connection to something as opposed to a wireless connection so I didn't think it would do any harm to try it!!
I have heard that DJI would take issue with any claim on the refresh insurance *if* you are using an OTG cable as it's not 'officially' supported? is this true?

Thanks!

See post #37 in this very thread ...

Reactions: Spark 317 and 1uk3y
But the MP has two USB ports, right? I'm guessing that the one used for connecting your mobile device is "hard wired" to use its OTG capability.
I use both ports with ordinary data cables.

With Spark only, there is a need of an otg cable or adapter.

OK. Instead of posting assumptions I contacted DJI online myself: They confirmed that use of OTG cable does not invalidate the Spark's warranty.

They said that "not supported" just means they don't provide technical support for the feature or guarantee its function because OTG cable isn't compatible with all Android devices.

[The Mavic Pro actually uses OTG as the default connection and is "fully supported"]

Attachments

• 3A23A3D6-3B0D-47B7-8472-03B94C4BFFA0.jpeg
    3A23A3D6-3B0D-47B7-8472-03B94C4BFFA0.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 38
Reactions: nilanjan118
I use an OTG cable with my LG Stylo 4 and I have had no problems at all. I think that the video connection is better. I also read that using wifi to connect the smartphone to the RC can affect the RC-Spark connection. I am using the OTG cable each time. ymmv

Would you all recommend using OTG cable over using WIFI.
I've been flying with WIFI due to not having the cable yet and sometimes my wifi signal goes red which worries me...so would I be better off with the cable?
Thanks

The OTG cable simply connects your phone to your RC. It shouldn't affect the connection between the drone and the RC. The OTG cable is designed as a 'hardwired' connection between phone and RC thus should eliminate any interference or lag. Thats my understanding of it anyway!

The OTG cable simply connects your phone to your RC. It shouldn't affect the connection between the drone and the RC. The OTG cable is designed as a 'hardwired' connection between phone and RC thus should eliminate any interference or lag. Thats my understanding of it anyway!

Thanks.
So would you say amongst the type of community on this forum, is OTG or WIFI the more preferred option?

from what I can tell, there is an overwhelming preference of Spark users to use the (very cheap) OGT cables.
also, I always prefer wired over wireless anyway, less problems imho

Thanks to this thread and its contributors I tried OTG again....It worked :)

Many Thanks to those taking time to share.

Galaxy A series Tab...Best Buy 149 special I remember....Works with DJI Go and a cable from Drone Valley.

Litchi still wont work for me via OTG.

Somewhere I got the idea Litchi was working for many with IOS devices....If so...I want to get my first IOS.

Am I on right track ? Will be less than smiley if IOS isnt almost a sure thing :)

Thanks to this thread and its contributors I tried OTG again....It worked :)

Many Thanks to those taking time to share.

Galaxy A series Tab...Best Buy 149 special I remember....Works with DJI Go and a cable from Drone Valley.

Litchi still wont work for me via OTG.

Somewhere I got the idea Litchi was working for many with IOS devices....If so...I want to get my first IOS.

Am I on right track ? Will be less than smiley if IOS isnt almost a sure thing :)

OTG cable works fine in iOS for both DJI Go and Litchi. If you see posts that say otherwise please check the date -- they are probably old. It's been rock steady since late summer.

Last edited:
OTG cable works fine in iOS for both DJI Go and Litchi. If you see posts that say otherwise please check the date -- they are probably old. It's been rock steady since late summer.

The Litchi app's Play Store description states specifically that OTG is not currently supported on Android; do you know if that's out of date as well? I haven't purchased it yet and probably won't if it doesn't support OTG.

I too have the same concerns.....thats why ive asked foe advice here.

I understand l;language like "OTG is not currently supported on Android" I appreciate their honesty....Seems like they would want to say...."we support IOS" if they could.... Seems simple enough....but like politics...gotta be complicated :)

But as you say...thats why there is whiskey !

I found that Litchi crashes randomly if I use the OTG cable. I would stay away for now, till they get the bug fixed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex