Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Questions on SPARK

Chris An

Join
May 30, 2017
Hi, I ordered my SPARK and have two questions.

1. Does it record video automatically when using palm gesture mode (without controllers)
2. Does it have audio (sound) recording ?

Thanks in advance!

1. Does it record video automatically when using palm gesture mode (without controllers)

Thanks in advance!
From what I've read it will not record video w/gesture and I know for a fact it won't record sound. Actually if it did record sound all you would hear would be the props/motors

I have one question that I have tried to ask all the early reviewers but haven't gotten any response. Maybe because they don't want to say anything negative.

The question is - How loud is the Spark compared to the Mavic? I am not necessarily looking for a scientific answer, just someone that has both to compare. For me, the biggest hindrance to flying around people is the noise level not the size of the drone. The Mavic, although not loud, turns some people off. If the Spark was noticeably quieter you could justify taking it up closer to people to get some great shots around points of interest.

The props are smaller, thus I would imagine on a db meter it would be quieter. Though its still going to be noticeable...have yet to see a stealth drone.

I have one question that I have tried to ask all the early reviewers but haven't gotten any response. Maybe because they don't want to say anything negative.

The question is - How loud is the Spark compared to the Mavic? I am not necessarily looking for a scientific answer, just someone that has both to compare. For me, the biggest hindrance to flying around people is the noise level not the size of the drone. The Mavic, although not loud, turns some people off. If the Spark was noticeably quieter you could justify taking it up closer to people to get some great shots around points of interest.

The Spark is the same size as the Dobby, and the Dobby makes a high rev racket compared to the Mavic.

The Mavic sounds like a swarm of bees. The Dobby sounds like a swarm of mosquitos but louder.

Does it have audio (sound) recording ?
The Spark does not have a microphone on board, but it is possible to record from the microphone on your mobile device via the "Record Audio With Video Cache" setting in DJI GO.

DJI-GO-Record-Audio-With-Video-Cache.jpeg

Thanks in advance!

Answer #1: Gestures is for recording an image (picture), not video. Although you could manually turn on video before hand and all would be fine, you just can't stop recording video with gestures.
Answer #2: The Spark uses the DJI GO 4 App on your iPhone, Android Phone or tablet, so it records sound via your phone or tablet (designed for narration during a live streaming event).

I fly a pile of drones, from FPV racers up to the camera drones that we're all familiar with. The prop noise is caused by the angle of the prop out to the tip. When you fly FPV race quads you have a massive variety of props on the market and you can change the sound at the expense of thrust, carving, etc. The Spark is rather a lightweight at 300 grams so I don't believe the props are designed for heavy thrust or else battery life on the 3 cell would be worse than it is. I've not compared the Spark to the Mavic Pro, but an educated guess would say it is less noisy than the Mavic Pro but far from quiet (i.e., you could still talk over the prop sound but probably not whisper & be heard).

Reactions: srcrain
I've not compared the Spark to the Mavic Pro, but an educated guess would say it is less noisy than the Mavic Pro but far from quiet
DJI employees over on RC Groups are saying it's louder than the Mavic.

Reactions: srcrain
DJI employees over on RC Groups are saying it's louder than the Mavic.
Thanks for the info. I see this issue as very important to how much and where I fly it instead of the Mavic. The spark size is not small enough to make a difference so noise level is my deciding factor.

I'd say the spark is pretty loud, not like a phantom 3, but when maneuvering at around 15' agl it's still disturbing to orher people around me

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme