Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Questions using the OTG cable

It is just long enough as you can see in the photos below:
My iPad mini won't fit in the Spark arms. I'd have to shave the upper part of the arm to get them to open more. I use an external holder which sits above the controller (same one I use on Mavic so I can see controller display) So it has to be at least 10 inches. I pre-ordered one from the DJIcables.com guys.

I'm using my DJI Spark w/ the iPad Mini 4 plus mount -- my cable isn't from Rantow but Anbee and that one works fine as well despite the fact that it says "NOT FIT DJI SPARK" in the listing. I'm bringing this up because the Rantow one has been out of stock for a couple weeks or more now. Looks like they finally restocked it, but anyway, here's how I do it similar to animal's instructions. Hope this helps someone because by doing it this way it works -every time- for my iOS devices.

I'm using my DJI Spark w/ the iPad Mini 4 plus mount -- my cable isn't from Rantow but Anbee and that one works fine as well despite the fact that it says "NOT FIT DJI SPARK" in the listing. I'm bringing this up because the Rantow one has been out of stock for a couple weeks or more now. Looks like they finally restocked it, but anyway, here's how I do it similar to animal's instructions. Hope this helps someone because by doing it this way it works -every time- for my iOS devices.

Thanks. Do you see the map on the iPad mini when you don't have a wifi connection?

If I’m not mistaken that isn’t actually an OTG cable, rather it is just a micro usb to lightning cable.

If I’m not mistaken that isn’t actually an OTG cable, rather it is just a micro usb to lightning cable.

Technically correct! But it still uses the whole On-The-Go standard/specifications (I believe) for the communication itself. It's just more direct to have a micro USB to lightning cable for our Spark purposes.

Thanks. Do you see the map on the iPad mini when you don't have a wifi connection?

Yes! I have iPad Mini 4 cellular version but with NO LTE data service. Map data needs downloaded/cached in advance. On iOS this process is a bit ridiculous because you have to look up the area you'll be flying and scroll around with your finger to "cache" the map... compared to android where, you know, you can just dl the map.

Technically correct! But it still uses the whole On-The-Go standard/specifications (I believe) for the communication itself. It's just more direct to have a micro USB to lightning cable for our Spark purposes.

Yes! I have iPad Mini 4 cellular version but with NO LTE data service. Map data needs downloaded/cached in advance. On iOS this process is a bit ridiculous because you have to look up the area you'll be flying and scroll around with your finger to "cache" the map... compared to android where, you know, you can just dl the map.
I cache maps I google maps but not in the Go4 app. Am missing something?

I cache maps I google maps but not in the Go4 app. Am missing something?
yeah -- sorry for the late reply. so, basically you need to be in the Go 4 app and make sure to have the "cache map data in the background" feature turned on. you then have to physically scroll your finger around the area you plan to fly until the map appears. This requires you to do this when you have an internet connection BEFORE you fly in a location. It sucks, and the cache also gets regularly cleared so you'll need to keep doing this. I really hope that they allow us to download all of the map data the same way you can on Android devices soon.

yeah -- sorry for the late reply. so, basically you need to be in the Go 4 app and make sure to have the "cache map data in the background" feature turned on. you then have to physically scroll your finger around the area you plan to fly until the map appears. This requires you to do this when you have an internet connection BEFORE you fly in a location. It sucks, and the cache also gets regularly cleared so you'll need to keep doing this. I really hope that they allow us to download all of the map data the same way you can on Android devices soon.
Thx. It doesn't help much when one is travelling and ipad is shut down during transit. I may try my phone's hotspot as a work around.

To conclude:
• Is there a cable which works 100% perfectly? i.e. every single time with no unplug/replug, 'device or accessory is not supported', etc. nonsense? I don't have the patience for hit-and-miss.

Bonus question: none of the Amazon links ship to Malaysia, weirdly, despite many of them being based in HK. if anybody knows a Malaysian supplier please hook a brother up.

The issue is not so much just the cable. It's that the spark TX is not a supported accessory. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I have been using the method I outlined in my video:

And I can tell you that while it is annoying, if you keep this order, there is no hit or miss per say. That magical order of events has always worked for me. Also, if you swap batteries on the spark, you don't have to redo it either. So technically you only need to do this for "1 session."

Between step#2 and #3, after you turned on the RC and it connected to the Spark; do you wait for the mobile device to connect to the RC through wifi and then #4 turned off the wifi and bluetooth?

I usually fly my Spark with Apple mobile devices. The only step I found that matters is to wait for the green light on the remote controller before plugging the OTG cable into the remote controller. I always have DJI GO open at that point. Everything else covered in the above video should not have to be done.

I have a question. I read the entire Spark manual but it does not mention using the OTG cable to directly connect the RC to the tablet. I have an ipad mini 4 cellular. It works fine, can connect and have flown when the ipad is connected to the RC via WiFi. But as soon as I use and OTG cable to connect the ipad to the RC it shows the Spark as being disconnected and of course I get no video from the Spark. It does have the green light on the controller but DJI GO 4 shows the Spark as being disconnected. I have tried airplane mode as well as just WiFi turned off. Bluetooth has always been off. I have even tried a different Apple cable to the ipad. Being i know absolutely nothing about Apple I'm guessing it is possibly a setting. As soon as I connect the ipad to the RC via WiFi I see the Spark fine and have flown with it that way. Just can't seem to get the direct cable method figured out.

Thanks
DJI Spark / Mavic USB OTG Cable for spark Controller to ios device (iphone/ipad) | eBay i bought from ebay can used for ios device

Between step#2 and #3, after you turned on the RC and it connected to the Spark; do you wait for the mobile device to connect to the RC through wifi and then #4 turned off the wifi and bluetooth?

No, I don't wait for the mobile device to connect to the spark. Green light = spark bound = ready to go at that point, actually. However, I ensure wifi and bluetooth are turned off in the next step as an extra measure to remove any possible interference from them. I think this is a crucial part of getting the most out of your cabled connection. There is no reason to have either bluetooth or wifi enabled at all. Especially bluetooth, as it is known to reduce your range in general and should be disabled even if you aren't using the cable. So I added it as a step... even though you can technically skip step #3 and just plug in your cable to the spark RC.

I have mixed results regarding the app already being open before plugging in the cable for the first time. Your results might vary, of course. Also, I haven't upgraded to iOS 11 so I'm not sure if anything has changed.

Reactions: hendywidodo
iam new to the spark (had a phantom and mavic) flying with ipad mini 4 with my spark. does this OTG cable still work with the latest firmware on the spark ? my spark is brand new and all on the latest firmware.
thanks steve.

does this OTG cable still work with the latest firmware on the spark ?

Yes, but you still have the limitations of using it as before (no custom buttons, etc.).

I've been flying without the cable lately with no problems.
After reading your post I plugged my cable in my mini4 to see if it worked and the Basic Knowledge Quiz popped up (For US citizens).
I've been waiting for this to pop up on my mini4.
I haven't seen it yet on my Samsung Galaxy s7 yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe