Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

RTH - Return To Home

Owlpic

Join
Jul 7, 2017
Is there a way to turn off automatic RTH (Return To Home)?

Would like to fly underneath trees or even in the woods.
Also like to fly indoors.

Need Spark to just stay in place with loss of signal.
With loss of signal I can't even override the RTH. But I can move in to recapture the signal.

Is there a way to turn off automatic RTH (Return To Home)?
No.

The best you could do is disable the "RTH at Current Altitude" setting and keep the Spark within 20 meters of the home point. If the signal is lost, the Spark will auto land at its current location instead of trying to return back to the home point.

DJI-GO-RTH-At-Current-Altitude.jpg

Reactions: MannyCAM2001
This has been requested and should e in one of the next releases.

Reactions: sassafras
If Spark is in "Atti" mode, shouldn't it just land?
I haven't tested but in theory it doesn't know where it is ... so going "home" is impossible.

(don't have an safe way to test right now, no large clearing nearby)

Reactions: Blade Strike
But now I can't figure out anyway to manually put it in "Atti" mode.

Isn't there something we can do when flying indoors?

There is no way to manually switch to ATTI mode.

Reactions: Blade Strike
So if I'm indoors, there's no way to stop Spark from doing a RTH right into the table lamp, or ceiling light fixture?

I even sometimes lose signal room to room.

If you're flying indoors, you probably won't get a GPS connection. If you do, then make sure you stay within 20 meters of the home point.

As @Blade Strike noted above, DJI is going to add a setting to choose what happens when the remote controller signal is lost. You'll have to use the above workarounds until that setting is available.

If I disable "rth at current altitude", then I suspect I also need to set the "rth altitude" to just be a few feet?

If I lose signal, in another room a few feet away, how does it know if its less than 20m away?

GPS jumps at least 20m sometimes.

(I heard A change is coming, I'm just trying to figure out if I have to stop using spark until it gets here.)

If I disable "rth at current altitude", then I suspect I also need to set the "rth altitude" to just be a few feet?
It's not possible to set it to a few feet.

If I lose signal, in another room a few feet away, how does it know if its less than 20m away?
It uses the current GPS location to figure out how far it is from the last marked home point.

GPS jumps at least 20m sometimes.
Interesting. I've never seen such a thing occur on the Spark or any other DJI aircraft.

Reactions: Hddeuce03
Nope. I'm in Harrisburg, PA. I don't fly in apartments either. It's much safer (and more enjoyable) to fly DJI drones outdoors ;)

Can confirm the new revision of DJI Go 4 does NOT have a way to control RTH.

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm if the new revision of DJI Go 4 has a way to control RTH?
Report where it's located?

currently you are only able to tell the spark to RTH at current altitude or set a RTH height. The others options should be coming I'm told.

RTH less than 20 meters from home, first Rises to about 15 ft and then returns home, even if I have set to "maintain-altitude."

What are others seeing?

Reactions: sassafras
Never tested such case.
User manual V1.4, page 14, RTH procedure 4b states that in this case, there is a minimum of 2.5m (8 ft) for RTH at current altitude. Which makes sense to avoid hitting persons.
Other point is if with obstacle avoidance (manual don't says if it needs to be enabled), it will ascend for 5 sec if there is an obstacle and continue at that altitude to home.
There are a lot of warnings and conditions on page 15. It would really require some testing to see how it really operate.

RTH less than 20 meters from home, first Rises to about 15 ft and then returns home, even if I have set to "maintain-altitude."

What are others seeing?
It is what killed my drone. Rose directly up into a tree, and obviously there was no obstacle avoidance going on whosoever. Painful newbie mistake.

I am planning to fly along a path that is surrounded by trees, so I did a little research regarding RTH. The worst thing would be if RTH kicks in, Spark goes up and hit the trees covering that path.

According to the manual, there is NO manual Atti mode, so RTH is always enabled, right? That's a total bummer. So the only thing we can do is to stay within 20m from the start point? That's a HUGE disadvantage to the filmer.

What if a new home point is set (dynamic home point) during flight? Will this reset the 20m range then?

What if a new home point is set (dynamic home point) during flight? Will this reset the 20m range then?
Yes. You could also enable the following setting in DJI GO to prevent your Spark from ascending before returning to the home point when further than 20 meters away from the home point:

DJI-GO-RTH-At-Current-Altitude.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pilot6521