Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Ruins of 'Shakespeare's' Welsh Castle built in 1277 all by DJI Spark:)

JonaThanksAlot!

Join
Mar 24, 2018
This is a video I made a few weeks ago, it literally was a 'flying visit', I had about half an hour there unfortunately:( There are a few shots I would probably redo, but the castle is well worth visiting! Shakespeare's play Richard II features this castle for a major scene, which makes it all the more worth visiting! :) I have rather a few little Spark videos building up now, if anyone would be so kind as to subscribe to my YouTube channel JonaThanksAlot! I would VERY MUCH appreciate it!

I hope you enjoy it!:)

Thanks so much! :))

I joined last week. I do enjoy your content.
Great vantage point with the side-lighting in this one.
Interesting enough, another forum member once asked how long a video should be,...this video addresses that question perfectly. Perfect choice of music. Paced extremely well.
Cheers

Reactions: JonaThanksAlot!
This is a video I made a few weeks ago, it literally was a 'flying visit', I had about half an hour there unfortunately:( There are a few shots I would probably redo, but the castle is well worth visiting! Shakespeare's play Richard II features this castle for a major scene, which makes it all the more worth visiting! :) I have rather a few little Spark videos building up now, if anyone would be so kind as to subscribe to my YouTube channel JonaThanksAlot! I would VERY MUCH appreciate it!

I hope you enjoy it!:)

Thanks so much! :))

Did it take long to get the permissions required to fly at the site?
Did you have to submit an OSC to get them or uprate your liability cover to over £10 million? CADW usually insist on £20million or above for shoots and need to see certs, risk assessments, site surveys and obviously proof of PfCO.

• Cadw do not allow drone flying from or over its guardianship sites, except by contractors commissioned for a specific purpose, who satisfy stringent CAA criteria, have the correct insurances and are operating under controlled conditions.
  • This site is registered on the No Fly Drone website http://www.noflydrones.co.uk

Did it take long to get the permissions required to fly at the site?
Did you have to submit an OSC to get them or uprate your liability cover to over £10 million? CADW usually insist on £20million or above for shoots and need to see certs, risk assessments, site surveys and obviously proof of PfCO.

• Cadw do not allow drone flying from or over its guardianship sites, except by contractors commissioned for a specific purpose, who satisfy stringent CAA criteria, have the correct insurances and are operating under controlled conditions.
  • This site is registered on the No Fly Drone website http://www.noflydrones.co.uk

This is a perfect example of somebody 'rushing out' and not doing thorough research, unfortunately it's me:( As described in the original posts, and although I had done my research on general drone laws in the UK, I was pretty new and I didn't realize there were 'site-specific' rules in place in some places. Now clearly I do:/ What would advise me (or anyone in this situation) to do now? Obviously, it goes without saying, I shall be more vigilant for all future projects, but should I remove that one off youtube? Thanks for your help.

This is a perfect example of somebody 'rushing out' and not doing thorough research, unfortunately it's me:( As described in the original posts, and although I had done my research on general drone laws in the UK, I was pretty new and I didn't realize there were 'site-specific' rules in place in some places. Now clearly I do:/ What would advise me (or anyone in this situation) to do now? Obviously, it goes without saying, I shall be more vigilant for all future projects, but should I remove that one off youtube? Thanks for your help.
No problem.
It is always a good idea if you are intending to fly at a specific location (especially if it is an historic landmark etc) to not only check airspace regulations etc but also look at that places website (assuming they have one). Also, check if there are bylaws in place + local council stipulations) or signs up prohibiting the use of model aircraft/RC aircraft etc. You don't want to necessarily call/speak to the council since they are mostly brain dead anyway and just say "No you can't fly" without qualifying the statement or understanding why that should be the case.
Although these types of locations do not 'own the airspace' above their properties, some (such as the National Trust) have bylaws in place which came into being when the land was gifted by the Crown to 'the people' and these do prohibit model flight (with the exception of gliders) above the land.
As long as you follow the CAA Air Navigation Order (which is law in the UK) and observe the required stand off distances as well as do your research at specific flying place you should be fine.

It's nice to see someone actively enjoying the hobby and when a mistake is made have the decency to step up and say 'Yup, didn't realise that... will learn from my mistake' :)
Obviously it's up to you whether you take the YT video down or not but videos like the one you have posted do give the CAA (local authorities now) evidence of breach of ANO rules and non compliant flights.

No problem.
It is always a good idea if you are intending to fly at a specific location (especially if it is an historic landmark etc) to not only check airspace regulations etc but also look at that places website (assuming they have one). Also, check if there are bylaws in place + local council stipulations) or signs up prohibiting the use of model aircraft/RC aircraft etc. You don't want to necessarily call/speak to the council since they are mostly brain dead anyway and just say "No you can't fly" without qualifying the statement or understanding why that should be the case.
Although these types of locations do not 'own the airspace' above their properties, some (such as the National Trust) have bylaws in place which came into being when the land was gifted by the Crown to 'the people' and these do prohibit model flight (with the exception of gliders) above the land.
As long as you follow the CAA Air Navigation Order (which is law in the UK) and observe the required stand off distances as well as do your research at specific flying place you should be fine.

It's nice to see someone actively enjoying the hobby and when a mistake is made have the decency to step up and say 'Yup, didn't realise that... will learn from my mistake' :)
Obviously it's up to you whether you take the YT video down or not but videos like the one you have posted do give the CAA (local authorities now) evidence of breach of ANO rules and non compliant flights.

Thank you very much! I always look for signs at places I visit, and I think in some sort of way I thought I'd 'be alright' if there were not signs there, but looking at the website now I can see it's rather clear. I'll definitely do further research in the future, thanks again! :)

I use the NATS 'Drone Assist' app on my iPhone. It's pretty good for checking air space but it also flags lots of 'places of interest' where flying might cause concern, such as near to schools. I always check it before flying. Flint Castle is shown as a place where people may 'congregate' and advises to be mindful of their safety, although even this app doesn't specifically mention CADW's restrictions on flying. It's all a learning curve :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme