Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Selfie in gesture mode issue..

WayneMHK

Join
Jun 15, 2017
I've noticed that if I have been recording video while using the RC, turn off the Spark and RC, and then fly the spark in gesture mode only, the unit will not take a selfie pic. I have to go back to using the RC and change the camera from video to picture mode before it will allow me to take pictures with the "frame" gesture when in gesture mode w/o RC. No biggy, I just have to remember to go back to picture mode before turning everything off, but just curious if anyone else can confirm this. I've been able to consistently reproduce the issue.

Would it have to do with that it is no longer in tracking mode and you have to do that first before it can recognize the hand gestures like that?
It doesn't say it has to be in tracking mode, but it hints at it by saying, "While the aircraft is following you,"
I'd try that, leaves two options open just in case you forget to switch it at the beginning :)
Spark Manual Page 24

It's in tracking mode. I fire it up, hand launch give "the wave" and it goes out to track like normal, but it won't take the picture when I give it the "frame" gesture. It recognizes the gesture OK, and blinks red, but not like it's supposed to. It's like there's an error, and the only thing that fixes it for me is to bring it back, shut it off, connect via RC, and switch camera to picture mode. When I do that, switch everything off, relaunch by hand, give it "the wave" followed by the "frame" gesture, it takes pictures as advertised.

Are the Front LED's glowing solid green when it flies up? If so then I don't know, but if not then it can't find you out of your background and needs you to raise your arms above your head in a Y shape and hold there till the LED's glow solid Green showing that it's now tracking your figure. Although I'm feeling like it's more of a bug type issue as ya said, If you're able to repeat it several times then yeah... But worth a try still!
I guess worst case it'll only take a few more times to get the muscle memory of just defaulting it to photo mode before putting away the RC xD
Maybe you could Email DJI about it and ask for a bugfix, shouldn't take too long considering the next few weeks will be full of constant updates I bet. (although we are talking about DJI here, nothing is certain ;)

After some more digging, it appears that this is likely one of several bugs being found in the initial release. Not surprising for a new product. I'll send it in to DJI

@WayneMHK
Yesterday evening I wasn't able also to take selfie in gesture mode.
I remember that before starting my Spark in Gesture mode I used it with my RC.
But I do not remember if I let it set in video mode or in picture mode knowing in picture mode I was in Panorama mode.
=> I'm wondering if there is not also an issue if you aren't in single shot picture mode when leaving RC mode.
=> I'll try to check that next time.
Thanks for your post.

@WayneMHK
Yesterday evening I wasn't able also to take selfie in gesture mode.
I remember that before starting my Spark in Gesture mode I used it with my RC.
But I do not remember if I let it set in video mode or in picture mode knowing in picture mode I was in Panorama mode.
=> I'm wondering if there is not also an issue if you aren't in single shot picture mode when leaving RC mode.
=> I'll try to check that next time.
Thanks for your post.
I'd be interested in seeing what you find. It appears some folks are complaining about not always getting a picture in gesture mode, and I wonder if they are doing the same thing and don't realize it. Thanks.

Has anyone else noticed that the pic it takes in gesture mode is 1440x1080 whereas a pic taken with a controller is 3968x2976?

I've gone through the very incomplete manual and there's no mention of a way to adjust resolution of photos or video. And yet when I use the same app with the Mavic or Inspire there are many options.

It can't really be that selfies have to be low res, can it?

Just out of logical curiosity, you could try some things to narrow this down a little. Fly with the RC and set to video mode, shoot a few seconds of video then land, turn off both then use gesture flying and try selfie to confirm this doesnt take the photo. (base line test) then try power all off and take off in RC mode and fly using photo mode, take a few photos and land, power off. Now take off using gestures and see if selfie takes a photo.
I'm guessing it stays set to video mode when powered off and when its turned back on the spark is still in video mode in software and as such doesn't take a photo. If this is the case then I'm pretty sure the next FW will fix this by DJI having the spark automatically switch to photo mode when its turned on using face recog.

Has anyone else noticed that the pic it takes in gesture mode is 1440x1080 whereas a pic taken with a controller is 3968x2976?

I've gone through the very incomplete manual and there's no mention of a way to adjust resolution of photos or video. And yet when I use the same app with the Mavic or Inspire there are many options.

It can't really be that selfies have to be low res, can it?

My guess on this one is that its just a framegrab of the video feed being used for tracking. If it was the full 12mp then it would have to drop out of tracking to capture the full image, process and then save the file, sure this might only take a second or so but its still taking it out of tracking. The more I'm reading about the spark I'm getting more and more of a feeling that its been rushed out. Little things like this should have been spotted early on in testing. Its a bit misleading, expecting a decent 12mp image and finding its only a 1080p 4:3 ratio image.
But then this drone is what a point and shoot camera is to a DSLR, its small, light, easy to carry and can produce great snapshots for facebook/youtube.

My guess on this one is that its just a framegrab of the video feed being used for tracking. If it was the full 12mp then it would have to drop out of tracking to capture the full image, process and then save the file, sure this might only take a second or so but its still taking it out of tracking. The more I'm reading about the spark I'm getting more and more of a feeling that its been rushed out. Little things like this should have been spotted early on in testing. Its a bit misleading, expecting a decent 12mp image and finding its only a 1080p 4:3 ratio image.
But then this drone is what a point and shoot camera is to a DSLR, its small, light, easy to carry and can produce great snapshots for facebook/youtube.

It's not small, light, and easy enough to justify a crappy low-res selfie. I paid $20 on Banggood for a palm-sized quad that I can stick in my pocket, fly with my phone anywhere I want, and take images of similar resolution. To be fair, the way the Spark shoots low-res images makes it worth much more than $20. As is, I'd say the Spark is worth $100, easy.

Reactions: Malakai
The 1080p image size during gesture mode and active track mode is verified in the new v1.2 manual. There is no way around it other than to stop using tracking while taking stills

My question is then, when you activate with faceaware and take a selfie, is that captured at 12mp, obviously if you do the wave it goes into tracking mode and only captures at 1080p. Can anyone test this?

My question is then, when you activate with faceaware and take a selfie, is that captured at 12mp, obviously if you do the wave it goes into tracking mode and only captures at 1080p. Can anyone test this?

Every shot taken in gesture mode whether with or without a phone/controller is low res.

Last edited:
Every shot taken in gesture mode whether with or without a phone/controller is low res.
Not in my experience. I'm taking lots of selfies using gesture mode, and they're all 3968x2976 resolution. I do have a controller connected, but it's sitting on my bag for backup purposes. I launch, direct, selfie, and land using gestures and all the photos are 3968x2976.

I am pulling the photos straight off of the SD card, not sure if that makes a difference.

So far gesture mode is working okay for me, although I can't navigate right using my right hand... I have to either use my left hand or if using my right hand go left and do a circle! I think it mistakes my head for my palm.

I believe it says these lower resolution photos occur when the Spark is in active track (follow) mode.

I believe it says these lower resolution photos occur when the Spark is in active track (follow) mode.
That's the confusing part. When using PalmControl and you wave the drone out, it goes into ActiveTrack mode (at least it says so on the display) and will follow you around, and when you use the Selfie gesture, it snaps a 3968x2976 resolution photo. Which people are saying is not the case, but for me is 100% the case. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I am enjoying my larger rez selfies using gesture mode. :)

Hopefully, that's the case. The first photo I took with gesture and follow looked pretty low resolution though I didn't measure it before I discarded it. Or maybe yours has a beneficial flaw that shoots high res all the time no matter what:)

In my case, when looking at the photos in the DJI Go 4 app editor, they're all 960x720. I'm guessing there is a way to pull down the full rez on the phone, but for me I'm looking at the actual file on the SD card from the aircraft and every single selfie is 3968x2976.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex