Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Setting Day

RotorWash

Premium Pilot
Join
Jul 18, 2019
Loc
P.E.I., Canada
A double bill of sorts :) Hope you enjoy!

First one is the fleet heading out from the wharf to the mouth of the harbour. One boat leads the way much in the same way a pace lap works in auto racing.
Footage was taken with my P4.

The second video shows a number of boats back at the wharf four hours later to pick up their 2nd load of traps.
Sparky did all the footage for this one.

Similar scenes would be happening at different ports all along the north and about half of the south shore of the Island. About 1200 lobster fishers work out of PEI’s 45 ports; carrying on a tradition that goes back generations.

--------------------
Today was "setting day" for the spring lobster fishery here on PEI. Each boat has 300 traps to set which will require at least two runs to set them all. Shots were taken at Northport, near Alberton.

This is the first load heading out towards the mouth of the harbour, shot via P4. There's about 4x as many boats coming from behind that aren't in the shot. Didn't take many pics, as was more focused on getting video.

setdayharbour.jpg

Here's a Spark shot of some boats getting their second load put onboard. Takes about 2-4 hrs to get the first load off depending on how far away your gear is. Most are within 10 miles or so of their homeport.

setdayload.jpg

Another one from Sparky, using GO 4's horizontal pano mode (9 shots) with some crop, stitched with PTGui.

setdaypano.jpg

As mentioned, I have some video to share as well once it gets chopped up. Will finally get myself a "feed" of lobsters tomorrow, GOD WILLING! :)

Last edited:
Today was "setting day" for the spring lobster fishery here on PEI. Each boat has 300 traps to set which will require at least two runs to set them all. Shots were taken at Northport, near Alberton.

This is the first load heading out towards the mouth of the harbour, shot via P4. There's about 4x as many boats coming from behind that aren't in the shot. Didn't take many pics, as was more focused on getting video.

View attachment 13778

Here's a Spark shot of some boats getting their second load put onboard. Takes about 2-4 hrs to get the first load off depending on how far away your gear is. Most are within 10 miles or so of their homeport.

View attachment 13779

Another one from Sparky, using GO 4's horizontal pano mode (9 shots) with some crop, stitched with PTGui.

View attachment 13780

As mentioned, I have some video to share as well once it gets chopped up. Will finally get myself a "feed" of lobsters tomorrow, GOD WILLING! :)
Good stuff!

That is so spectacular and on a nice sunny day. Can’t work out of it’s windy but you wouldn’t have got Spark up if it was much over 15mph with gusts? What a lovely tradition and makes my mouth water at the thought of “what you are about to receive” to quote you know WHO. I’d need you to cook it for me and chop it up properly so I could just pop it in my mouth! Enjoy your first platter.

That is so spectacular and on a nice sunny day. Can’t work out of it’s windy but you wouldn’t have got Spark up if it was much over 15mph with gusts? What a lovely tradition and makes my mouth water at the thought of “what you are about to receive” to quote you know WHO. I’d need you to cook it for me and chop it up properly so I could just pop it in my mouth! Enjoy your first platter.
Wind was not bad at ~15kph. No problem on cooking you some twickers. I just have to send Jerry a roll first. Not sure about Brian as he didn't ask for any, :)

Got some cooling off on the deck right now. Price is way up this year over last, $9-$10/lb about double what they got last year. Won't know for a while if those prices will stick or not. There's 10 (canner-sized) lobsters in the picture which amounts to 6.7lbs for $60cad. High price for DIY & being close to the source. The average fisher catches between 40-50k lbs per 2 month season.

lobstercooling.jpg

Wind was not bad at ~15kph. No problem on cooking you some twickers. I just have to send Jerry a roll first. Not sure about Brian as he didn't ask for any, :)

Got some cooling off on the deck right now. Price is way up this year over last, $9-$10/lb about double what they got last year. Won't know for a while if those prices will stick or not. There's 10 (canner-sized) lobsters in the picture which amounts to 6.7lbs for $60cad. High price for DIY & being close to the source. The average fisher catches between 40-50k lbs per 2 month season.

View attachment 13781
Those look stunning. Enjoy your first 2021 tasting. Brian P prefers his fish to crustaceans I reckon. He’s a very keen and talented fisherman judging from his vids.

Very impressive pics RotorWash. It looks like an armada. ?. Spectacular color and resolution in the pictures, nice job. Enjoy your lobster, you've earned it my friend. Thanks for the look.

• Love
Reactions: RotorWash
Very impressive pics RotorWash. It looks like an armada. ?. Spectacular color and resolution in the pictures, nice job. Enjoy your lobster, you've earned it my friend. Thanks for the look.
Thank you my friend! They were quite tasty, very full of meat. I usually just eat them boiled as they're a great source of lean protein (~28g in 130 calories) but they're also quite good fried up in butter. You get yourself a frying pan full of that and a six pack of beers, maybe a bbq steak in the background if feeling ambitious, :) good times! Hope to get some video up in the next couple of days for a better view. ?

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
You have scary looking lobsters with those big claws. Our rock lobsters don't have claws, just really long antenna . And they are very inquisitive of divers. Just as long as you are not trying to catch them with a loop!!

You have scary looking lobsters with those big claws. Our rock lobsters don't have claws, just really long antenna . And they are very inquisitive of divers. Just as long as you are not trying to catch them with a loop!!
Having no big claws sure would make the pot load faster! :) I've seen some divers fishing our lobsters here as well but it's illegal to do so.

A double bill of sorts :) Hope you enjoy!

First one is the fleet heading out from the wharf to the mouth of the harbour. One boat leads the way much in the same way a pace lap works in auto racing.
Footage was taken with my P4.

The second video shows a number of boats back at the wharf four hours later to pick up their 2nd load of traps.
Sparky did all the footage for this one.

Similar scenes would be happening at different ports all along the north and about half of the south shore of the Island. About 1200 lobster fishers work out of PEI’s 45 ports; carrying on a tradition that goes back generations.

--------------------

View attachment 13778

View attachment 13779

View attachment 13780

vids are ace! Well done!

View attachment 13781
argggghhh , did I miss the treat... oh well, I can always dream of someday ... enjoy!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme