Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Small municipal airport told me I can't fly at all

TruckNfly

Join
Jun 8, 2018
I got my spark a week or so ago and registered with the FAA, downloaded Airmap, and started researching. I'm within 5 miles of my small towns local airport and gave them a call today. I was told that I can't fly at all in the 5 mile radius PERIOD. He also told me that he wants me to call even when i'm outside of his radius because of safety concerns. This all seems a little overreaching. Just looking for advice or opinions. TIA

Reactions: Sparkster
I'm not sure who you spoke to at the airport, but you could try talking to someone who has more authority (if that's not who you already spoke to). Also, it would probably be helpful if you had a plan of action before calling. For example, if you're only planning on flying up to a low altitude of 200 feet (for example) and in a very specific area when flying within 5 miles of this airport, then make sure that is known.

When I called I told him that I see that I would be inside the 5 mile pretty much anywhere in or around my hometown. So I was calling ahead to see if we could maybe have an agreement drawn up so as to not bug them all the time. I explained that pretty much any flight I would take would be 3-5 miles away from the airport and I had no plans to operate above 200 ft. Like I said, it's a very small town, the tallest things around are pine trees. He didn't even let me finish. He cut me off and told me don't fly within 5 miles of the airport PERIOD. He was rather aggressive about the whole thing. When i asked where I could fly, that's when he told me as long as it was outside the radius but I still needed to call him every flight and get approval. I thanked him for the information and he said before hanging up that when I was done playing with toys to come see him and get a real pilot's license. The whole conversation went way differently than I imagined.

I'd go down to that airport and demand to speak with someone in private. The guy you spoke with sounded very unprofessional. The wise crack about being a real pilot is a condesending low blow to anyone who is into aerial photography. Like yeah, everyone can afford a freaking airplane or pilot training. Maybe his conduct and demeanor will be different when confronted face to face.

I don't know where you are but here I just fly and use common sense and don't go much higher than the tree line with the spark, our local airfield is 4km away and were completely devoid of common sense - they wanted to be informed whenever we took a 75gram park flyer out and I was like are you serious, this thing can't even go up over a 50 foot tree it hasn't got the power and there's a fat crow sitting on my garden fence that will do more damage than this toy ever could and they were like yes it's the law, I was like no it's not suggest you re-read the ANA about it and I haven't bothered to call them again.

Under FAA section 336, you do not need authorization. You do have to inform them. Here is how it's written:

"(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation."

Notice it doesn't say you need their authorization. I agree that this person is overstepping their authority and quite frankly sounds like an ***.

Under FAA section 336, you do not need authorization. You do have to inform them. Here is how it's written:

"(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation."

Notice it doesn't say you need their authorization. I agree that this person is overstepping their authority and quite frankly sounds like an ***.
Yeah, sounds like he's just being a pudd.

These small airports must be getting sick of the calls from everyone wanting to fly their RC thing nearby. Probably why the last comment.

I also think these calls and all the associated notices being broadcast (i assume the tower notifies the local air traffic....) Athat it creates the impression that drones and RC aircraft are more prevalent and dangerous to general aviation than it used to be. It isn't, it's just talked about more.

True. But they can object to your flight. They can't "prevent" it, per se (as long is it's not Class B airspace where you DO need their permission). But if they object and then you fly anyway and there's an incident, that will not be something in your favor, most likely.

But to the OP, they don't have any authority outside that 5 mile radius.

I think when I get back home i'm going to take a trip to the airport and have a face to face with manager. Hopefully we can come to an agreement and this can be dealt with easily. I'll post an update when I have one for you guys and maybe be able to help anyone that ends up in this position in the future.

Reactions: tbm53
call him and tell him you saw some birds flying in the 5miles radius of his airport and you are worried because you understand that he is not able to handle small objects flying at 200 or less feet near his airport. And wait for the reply.

call him and tell him you saw some birds flying in the 5miles radius of his airport and you are worried because you understand that he is not able to handle small objects flying at 200 or less feet near his airport. And wait for the reply.
This whole airport business is just hilarious. It's like birds having to inquire if they can fly around highways since you will be driving your car at high speeds.

As mentioned before, you don't need permission, just make them aware and be smart with your drone.
Chances you will hit a plane are very slim, but I have flown close to airports (within 100s of meters).... but I was under the tree line (filming a car dealership). if a plane hit it, he would have taken the building with it. So its a very broad range more for safety.

Be safe and don't freak out too much.

It makes no sense to make jokes when talking to the manager. He likely gets pissed off and that‘s not in your interest.
So be polite and at least make the impression you take his arguments serious.

If the dispute leads nowhere, I’d switch the tone and make clear you insist in your rights and you will just inform him about your flight before you take off, period.

Your last resort is use common sense and fly near trees but below the tree line as it is impossible to hit any airplane that way. Of cause make sure not to disturb your neighbors. Angry neighbors and flying illegally is a very bad combination. ;-)

That said it is your own responsibility what you do. If you have a flyaway with your spark in that area you might be in trouble.

But the Spark is a wonderfull little bird, have fun with it.

When I called I told him that I see that I would be inside the 5 mile pretty much anywhere in or around my hometown. So I was calling ahead to see if we could maybe have an agreement drawn up so as to not bug them all the time. I explained that pretty much any flight I would take would be 3-5 miles away from the airport and I had no plans to operate above 200 ft. Like I said, it's a very small town, the tallest things around are pine trees. He didn't even let me finish. He cut me off and told me don't fly within 5 miles of the airport PERIOD. He was rather aggressive about the whole thing. When i asked where I could fly, that's when he told me as long as it was outside the radius but I still needed to call him every flight and get approval. I thanked him for the information and he said before hanging up that when I was done playing with toys to come see him and get a real pilot's license. The whole conversation went way differently than I imagined.

I think this is what got him 'off the rails': "When I called I told him that I see that I would be inside the 5 mile pretty much anywhere in or around my hometown. So I was calling ahead to see if we could maybe have an agreement drawn up so as to not bug them all the time."

As I understand Sec 336 requirements is that notification is required prior to each and every fly plan/session, so not a 'one-time'/open notification for whenever time you would want to fly.

"Notify the airport and air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport."
FAA website link - Getting Started

Be polite, if the airport personnel insist that you notify them before every flight, do it. Ring them every morning & politely inform them of your intention to fly. Give all requested details. If they say “NO” even though you will be further than 5 miles away. Ask “why?” politely. Don’t argue, thank them, & ring 1 hour later with a different location. Eventually you will drive them crazy or you will find a reasonable person who will state that there is no reason to ring if you flying the required distance from the airport.
Alternatively. Post the phone number of your regional airport here, so we all can ring & inform of our intentions. They could be concerned if I am flying my spark even though I’m outside the 5 mile radius. How far is your regional airport, from Australia?

I think this is what got him 'off the rails': "When I called I told him that I see that I would be inside the 5 mile pretty much anywhere in or around my hometown. So I was calling ahead to see if we could maybe have an agreement drawn up so as to not bug them all the time."

As I understand Sec 336 requirements is that notification is required prior to each and every fly plan/session, so not a 'one-time'/open notification for whenever time you would want to fly.

"Notify the airport and air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport."
FAA website link - Getting Started
You understand the basics, but look up "Letter of agreement" when it comes to drones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh