Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark Battery Drop Out Captured On Video

Andre Levite

WELL-TRUSTED MEMBER
Premium Pilot
Join
Jun 18, 2018
Loc
Treasure Coast of Florida
Web
how-to-spark.com
The video montage linked below includes a battery drop out and crash at the 1:23 mark. I don't think this has ever been caught on film before.

The Spark had taken off for only about 2-3 seconds when the battery fell out. The Spark was flying at low speed so no crazy G forces to blame. Those two factors are highly suspicious that the operator did not properly insert the battery. Can't blame DJI for this one!

Spark Battery Fail - Pilot Error

Reactions: Peter Brits
The video montage linked below includes a battery drop out and crash at the 1:23 mark. I don't think this has ever been caught on film before.

The Spark had taken off for only about 2-3 seconds when the battery fell out. The Spark was flying at low speed so no crazy G forces to blame. Those two factors are highly suspicious that the operator did not properly insert the battery. Can't blame DJI for this one!

Spark Battery Fail - Pilot Error
I think we can still blame DJI. They get a pass for engineering this shoddy battery/retention system? I don't think so. Call me crazy but people shouldn't have to pull poke and prod on their spark battery every time before flying just to avoid being a victim of bad engineering. And I think it's unfair to blame the pilot for not following the advice THAT IS ONLY AVAILABLE ON THESE FORUMS/3rd party sources, not included in the manual with the spark, nor referenced anywhere I can find by DJI staff as being required to pull and tug and shove on that battery a bunch of times so it won't fail mid flight and fall out. It just shouldn't be happening, not at DJI prices. Hell $50 toy drones have better battery design, and far simpler as well. Never seen too many of those with "pilot error didnt install battery correctly" falling from the sky. A battery has two options, it either works good and STAYS IN PLACE, or it is a poor design which quickly will show through. And clearly for MANY people both new and experienced, the spark battery system is POOR DESIGN.

Also PS if these batteries falling out are pilot error how come DJI quietly replaces the drone at no cost in many of these situations? DJI loves to shirk warranties with "pilot error" so you know its bad when they are taking responsibility and replacing drones. Also quiet middle of the night spark battery redesign happened late 2017, if nothing was wrong why dey do dat?o_O

Reactions: DaysOfNoah
I think we can still blame DJI. They get a pass for engineering this shoddy battery/retention system? I don't think so. Call me crazy but people shouldn't have to pull poke and prod on their spark battery every time before flying just to avoid being a victim of bad engineering. And I think it's unfair to blame the pilot for not following the advice THAT IS ONLY AVAILABLE ON THESE FORUMS/3rd party sources, not included in the manual with the spark, nor referenced anywhere I can find by DJI staff as being required to pull and tug and shove on that battery a bunch of times so it won't fail mid flight and fall out. It just shouldn't be happening, not at DJI prices. Hell $50 toy drones have better battery design, and far simpler as well. Never seen too many of those with "pilot error didnt install battery correctly" falling from the sky. A battery has two options, it either works good and STAYS IN PLACE, or it is a poor design which quickly will show through. And clearly for MANY people both new and experienced, the spark battery system is POOR DESIGN.

Also PS if these batteries falling out are pilot error how come DJI quietly replaces the drone at no cost in many of these situations? DJI loves to shirk warranties with "pilot error" so you know its bad when they are taking responsibility and replacing drones. Also quiet middle of the night spark battery redesign happened late 2017, if nothing was wrong why dey do dat?o_O

If you don't tie your shoelaces snugly. And they untie and you trip. And you bloody your nose. Are you gone blame Nike for a bad design?!? NO!!!

It's human error. No amount of engineering can eliminate human error. There will always be careless consumers finding new ways to break their expensive toys.

At some point pilots need to "man up" and learn how to use their equipment -- starting with the power supply.

1:25 in the video.
Even though such an early failure, flying from the elevated decking the result wouldn’t have been too good for the Spark.

I don't think the wood deck was the issue.

The battery was barely inserted. It fell out extremely quickly and easily. This crash was 100% avoidable.

You can feel and hear and see when the mechanism locks. Just have to pay attention to the equipment.

It's Step #1 on my pre-flight checklist: "Confirm Battery Locked In Place Securely"

Reactions: heinzpilot

The battery was barely inserted. It fell out extremely quickly and easily. This crash was 100% avoidable.

You can feel and hear and see when the mechanism locks. Just have to pay attention to the equipment.

It's Step #1 on my pre-flight checklist: "Confirm Battery Locked In Place Securely"

It’s my step one as well, but only because of the fact a battery can visibly and audibly snap into place, yet with the slightest tug backwards it comes right off. I’ll see if I can dig up a video of what I’m showing, but it at least shows that even when it snap crackles and pops into place (or so you think) in reality it can still not actually be locked on. “Only a tug will tell”

Reactions: Andre Levite

Misunderstanding Andre, I meant it fell so far from the elevated take off point !!
Damage far more likely :confused:

It’s my step one as well, but only because of the fact a battery can visibly and audibly snap into place, yet with the slightest tug backwards it comes right off. . . . even when it snap crackles and pops into place (or so you think) in reality it can still not actually be locked on. “Only a tug will tell”

As a new-ish Spark user, I will be adding this to my Spark pre flight checklist for sure . . . even for my Mavic Pro, which has also been known to throw an ill fitted battery.
Can't be too careful !!
It seems the Spark is far worse for this though, so very important.

It’s my step one as well, but only because of the fact a battery can visibly and audibly snap into place, yet with the slightest tug backwards it comes right off. I’ll see if I can dig up a video of what I’m showing, but it at least shows that even when it snap crackles and pops into place (or so you think) in reality it can still not actually be locked on. “Only a tug will tell”

If your battery can be pulled off easily after it is "locked" then you've got a bad battery. That's just not right.

All 4 of mine are truly locked when fully inserted. They don't come off with a tug.

Two common reasons for bad locks:
1. Generation one batteries had short tabs and weaker springs. DJI improved the design quickly but still lots of gen 1 batteries out there
2. If batteries are repeatedly removed without fully disengaging the lock the tabs will wear down and the springs will fatigue prematurely.

If your battery never truly locks the only safe approach is to use a battery retention clip (or O-ring or rubber band). Glad you checked before you had a drop out incident.

If your battery can be pulled off easily after it is "locked" then you've got a bad battery. That's just not right.

All 4 of mine are truly locked when fully inserted. They don't come off with a tug.

Two common reasons for bad locks:
1. Generation one batteries had short tabs and weaker springs. DJI improved the design quickly but still lots of gen 1 batteries out there
2. If batteries are repeatedly removed without fully disengaging the lock the tabs will wear down and the springs will fatigue prematurely.

If your battery never truly locks the only safe approach is to use a battery retention clip (or O-ring or rubber band). Glad you checked before you had a drop out incident.

Agreed. Although I was not talking about any of my batteries(knock on wood). Just a youtube video I came across when first unboxing my spark and doing research. I always do the tug, also sometimes do a few quick stops/reversals in sport mode at low altitude (less than 3 feet) that way if I do have any issues, I will find out 5' away and 2' high rather than when I'm 300 yards away, 200' high over the river..

If the video was "now" I would say human error.
But if the video was taken back when there was a rash of batteries falling out and the redesigned clips were the proven cause, that was on DJI.

The video was posted as "Fails of the Week for 5/24/2019". It's $1,000 weekly contest. So most likely it's a recent video

The important thing: How was the Spark after the crash? If it didn't it the wood, chances are it's still A-OK. I shook mine out of a tree-top and she dropped about as far as that one did (on grass) and was none the worse for wear.

Reactions: Spark 317
Nice video. My battery drop is burned into my memory. The battery flew further than the Spark and buried itself like a $50 golf ball lost in the woods. The Spark came down with a soft landing and easy to find. I complained to DJI and they had me send the batteryless spark back. It was my fifth flight. Replaced the spark with a fresh battery. I use the O ring method now.

The important thing: How was the Spark after the crash? If it didn't it the wood, chances are it's still A-OK. I shook mine out of a tree-top and she dropped about as far as that one did (on grass) and was none the worse for wear.

I think the spark is pretty durable, other than the gimbal just hanging out front waiting to smash into the ground or a tree trunk. I wish it was a bit more protected like the mavic air. I have a sunshade that kinda does the same thing, but sometimes gets in the way when flying/shooting.

I think the spark is pretty durable, other than the gimbal just hanging out front waiting to smash into the ground or a tree trunk. I wish it was a bit more protected like the mavic air. I have a sunshade that kinda does the same thing, but sometimes gets in the way when flying/shooting.
Be well advised to get this thought out of your head. Here's what happened to my Spark after a barely 5 feet drop. And it wasn't even flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis