Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark has a heating issue?

Tiller

Join
May 21, 2018
Hi everyone -
I flew my awesome Spark today. It was about 88-90 F outside.
Everything was going great until I started on the 2nd battery.
All of a sudden when I pushed sticks to go up.. it abruptly descended, I tried to re adjust using small adjustments and all off a sudden it just dropped like a brick form the sky and landed on my lawn. (thank god).
Is this a know issue?
Anyone else out there experiencing the same thing?

Is your fan running inside the spark?I haven’t flew much in the heat but haven’t experienced any issues flying multiple batteries.
Yes Sir - Fans are revving up as it boots and all is well. I honestly think it just over heated. Same thing happened after letting it cool off for a good while inside. After flying a while, as soon as I gave a little throttle to climb, it dropped ...when I let go of the sticks she started to hover. There goes that! :(

Last edited:
Reactions: rccrazywv
Were you in sport more with the first bat? Running in sport mode will make spark get hotter quicker .

N
Were you in sport more with the first bat? Running in sport mode will make spark get hotter quicker .

Not at all - but still, motors and body was screaming hot... I think it just was too hot for it to sit and hover. I was not flying it fast or high neither. I can only imagine them spark owners out in Vegas and Arizona.. They must have stories regarding this issue for sure, if this is the case. Like I said earlier, the first flight with 1st battery went absolutely just fine. No symptoms at all.

There are several reports of iPad mini causing flight problems because the magnets in the iPad casing (designed to hold the flexible cover in place) can cause the joystick sensors on the RC to misbehave - basically confusing the controller with erroneous readings. I experienced this problem myself a couple of days ago, crazy flight characteristics as the Spark took off, then a very bad forced landing that put the Spark in the water. I dived in and recovered the Spark, will claim on insurance, however the cause was a mystery - until I read about the iPad magnet problem. It makes perfect sense.

Hi Guys,
So no iPad mini for me. I use a Samsung S8 when I fly. I have come to a conclusion that this was all due to over heating.
When flying in 90F+ weather, you need to let the bird rest and cool off in between batteries or you will risk overheating them motors and or the spark itself.
Just my two cents :)

There are several reports of iPad mini causing flight problems because the magnets in the iPad casing (designed to hold the flexible cover in place) can cause the joystick sensors on the RC to misbehave - basically confusing the controller with erroneous readings. I experienced this problem myself a couple of days ago, crazy flight characteristics as the Spark took off, then a very bad forced landing that put the Spark in the water. I dived in and recovered the Spark, will claim on insurance, however the cause was a mystery - until I read about the iPad magnet problem. It makes perfect sense.
I am glad to report that I have not had any such issues with my iPad Mini 4. I did not know that the RC had hall effect gimbals but that is an interesting point anyway. I am using an tablet mount on my RC that holds the iPad Mini about 2 to 3 inches above the RC. Maybe that is helping. Right now though, I am afraid to fly my Spark with all of the issues with the Go 4 app. That in itself seems to be a big problem and I hope that it is resolved soon.

Ive read in the past that if you put the Home Button on the right hand side, the problem goes away.

That's the way I fly with the tablet holder or in the arms of the remote and had no issue with my mini4 (if it has the magnet?).

I just tested my iPad Mini 4 to see if there are indeed magnets inside using a piece of thin steel wire and it did not stick to any part of it. So I Googled "are there magnets in the iPad Mini 4" and the only thing I found in that search was that there are magnetic sensors inside the iPad that trigger the iPad to wake up when the cover is opened when using one of the magnetic covers made by Apple. I personally do not see this issue as a threat to the Spark RC at this point and I still am puzzled as to how an iPad can cause overheating problems with a Spark. ????:confused:

I think we are talking about two different issues here.
I agree. The original issue was overheating in which Neil Langford mentioned the use of the iPad Mini. Somehow, the conversation switched over to the issue of the alleged magnets in the iPad Mini. I am still confused as to how either the iPad Mini and or the alleged magnets have anything to do with an overheating issue with the Spark. Therefore, the original issue of overheating has not been addressed or explained. :confused:

I'm in Australia and have regularly flown on days exceeding 30DegC (86DegF) with no issue. I've only seen those type of symptoms when trying out some cheap EBay props. The spark didn't like them at all (seemed very flexible compared to DJI).

But I also haven't had serious overheating. After a couple of batteries the Spark body and motors get warm, but not overly hot IMHO.

Not quite sure what to suggest.

Reactions: Tiller

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme