Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark IMU Pins broken

regardtnaude

Join
Jun 6, 2019
Hi,

I'm a new member. I've read and read a lot on the forum lately for interesting threads and help regarding Spark.

I recently bought a second hand Spark with a broken FPC connector. The FPC is the small on-board connectors that connect all the peripherals to the main board. It's a 24 pin male connector that sits on the main board and it's the IMU connector.

The question I have is simple and I would just like some clarity: I assembled the Spark myself piece by piece (meaning the sensors and motors and ESC's etc.) taking extra time to secure everything but while assembling I noticed something the previous owner unfortunately kept from me, probably to promote selling the Spark, it was a broken pin on the 24 pin FPC connector on the main board leading to the IMU sensor behind the camera. My Spark doesn't have WiFi or USB connectivity at the moment. When starting up with full battery (battery charges perfectly with USB charger) it goes through a sequence quickly beeping on the motors and then props moving, lights front red solid and rear flashing yellow for a second and then solid red. I suspect the main board may be defective but I'm not sure, because if I remove the IMU connector from the main board the Spark notices it and immediately goes to "IMU Fault" fault code via the lights meaning the rear flash red, yellow, green quickly. Only 1 little pin is broken off when observed under microscope.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding a replacement board and it's SOOO expensive that I might as well buy a new Spark. Currently I'm considering fixing it with solder under the microscope adding a little copper wire or ordering a new FPC connector and installing.

Question: Does the Spark, or should it have WiFi and USB connectivity when there's an error like above mentioned or will it disable the connection for safety reasons?

Many thanks indvance!

Reactions: Andre Levite
Hi,

I'm a new member. I've read and read a lot on the forum lately for interesting threads and help regarding Spark.

I recently bought a second hand Spark with a broken FPC connector. The FPC is the small on-board connectors that connect all the peripherals to the main board. It's a 24 pin male connector that sits on the main board and it's the IMU connector.

The question I have is simple and I would just like some clarity: I assembled the Spark myself piece by piece (meaning the sensors and motors and ESC's etc.) taking extra time to secure everything but while assembling I noticed something the previous owner unfortunately kept from me, probably to promote selling the Spark, it was a broken pin on the 24 pin FPC connector on the main board leading to the IMU sensor behind the camera. My Spark doesn't have WiFi or USB connectivity at the moment. When starting up with full battery (battery charges perfectly with USB charger) it goes through a sequence quickly beeping on the motors and then props moving, lights front red solid and rear flashing yellow for a second and then solid red. I suspect the main board may be defective but I'm not sure, because if I remove the IMU connector from the main board the Spark notices it and immediately goes to "IMU Fault" fault code via the lights meaning the rear flash red, yellow, green quickly. Only 1 little pin is broken off when observed under microscope.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding a replacement board and it's SOOO expensive that I might as well buy a new Spark. Currently I'm considering fixing it with solder under the microscope adding a little copper wire or ordering a new FPC connector and installing.

Question: Does the Spark, or should it have WiFi and USB connectivity when there's an error like above mentioned or will it disable the connection for safety reasons?

Many thanks indvance!

The only member I've seen with this level of repair knowledge and experience is ThunderDrones. His reputation is second only to DJI themselves. You can best find him on the MavicPilots Forum.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leahandran