Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark> Mavic Air: Worth upgrading?

Stevan

Join
Nov 27, 2017
I'm currently contemplating upgrading my spark to a Mavic air. Issue is I can't afford both, so spark would have to go to help finance it.

I'm primarily interested in the extended range and flight times. 4K is a nice bonus.

So what do you guys think? Any opinions from the guys who have both?

Don't forget the 3 axis gimbal, that would be a huge upgrade too. I knew as soon as I bought the Spark something more appealing would come out, it was a matter of days. I am also interested in what others think.

Reactions: antnyp85
I think you are right, those are the best overall, but I like the smaller size of the Air for travel. I travel a lot and take my Spark everywhere., the Mavik pro just seems a bit too big for that. Also too obvious in the air, no one pays much attention to the Spark in the air. Not that I fly where I shouldn't, I just don't like drawing attention.

Reactions: Frogbmth
I too was drooling at the Mavic Air since it was launched close to the time I bought the Spark. However in my case I have been extremely happy with the Spark and am glad I did not opt for the Mavic. This is for a few reasons:

1. I am surprised to find that I am using the Spark more for photography than for videos and there is no difference in photo quality between the two. The videos I do take are typically short clips posted to social media so 4K is definitely not needed.

2. I am a new drone pilot and feel much better about learning on and experimenting with the less expensive Spark.

3. Most accessories, especially batteries are much cheaper for the Spark than for the Mavic.

So far the Spark fits my needs incredibly well and any upgrade would be solely for my ego to say I have the best, there is no additional feature or functionality that I wish I had at this time. I will however likely purchase whatever may eventually replace the Mavic Air, since at that time I will be a much more mature drone pilot/photographer/videographer.

I think you are right, those are the best overall, but I like the smaller size of the Air for travel. I travel a lot and take my Spark everywhere., the Mavik pro just seems a bit too big for that. Also too obvious in the air, no one pays much attention to the Spark in the air. Not that I fly where I shouldn't, I just don't like drawing attention.

Sure..... ;)

lol.

Reactions: Bob Radford
I dont have an air but here’s the Mavic Pro bag next to the spark bag. It’s definitely more noticeable in the air than the spark, however although the air is smaller it is also louder than the Pro.
In all honesty I love flying the spark, the MPP 4k video isnt all that for me, I don’t like having to manually focus the camera and it feels a lot more delicate than the spark. The half hour flight time is great though on the MPP for relaxing and setting up for that perfect shot as opposed to feeling the flight time running out all too soon on the spark. I don’t personally feel the Air offers enough over the spark to warrant the cost, for me the killer reason to own the MPP is the occusync and the massive flight time. The spark camera is awesome for the aircraft’s cost in my opinion.

I own both the Mavic Pro,and the Spark, and really like both for diffrent reasons!:) The Mavic Pro has more settings on the camera,it has a much longer flight range, and flight time. The Spark is really handy to use on the spur of the moment, fly's great, shoots good video/photos! I seldom use the 4K setting on the MMP as most people don't have 4K monitors, and I use 2.7 K most of the time. Having said that, the Spark takes amazing photos/video's for only having 1080P 30fps.and will suit most, except the most demanding users. I also have a Inspire 1 V2 that I hardly fly at all! LOL! It shoots really great video/photo's,but the setup is a PITA! When I got out flying,I find myself grabbing the Spark more often,lately! It's just fun to fly, and more relaxed.

Reactions: Gavieboydgi
Perfect, seems like there is no reason to upgrade, the Spark is awesome for what it is. I do survey mapping at work with Inspire 2 and Phantom 4 and was thinking I could do some work on the side with a Mavik Air with its way point capability. But then I get back to reality and decide to keep work and play separate.

Reactions: Ron_Dog
Perfect, seems like there is no reason to upgrade, the Spark is awesome for what it is. I do survey mapping at work with Inspire 2 and Phantom 4 and was thinking I could do some work on the side with a Mavik Air with its way point capability. But then I get back to reality and decide to keep work and play separate.
Just get the Autopilot app for your Spark and voila! Waypoints!

Have you used Autopilot?
If you're asking me no I have not. I am definitely going to buy it once this rainy season is over with though. Take a look on Youtube, there are a decent amount of videos showcasing what Autopilot can do with the Spark.

From what I have seen, there is no flight mode in Autopilot that will do mapping with waypoints. Post a link please, I would love to see it., Yes gearhead83, asking you.

From what I have seen, there is no flight mode in Autopilot that will do mapping with waypoints. Post a link please, I would love to see it., Yes gearhead83, asking you.
I just googled "autopilot waypoints spark"

Here is another thread from this forum on the subject

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. I see Autopilot crashes a lot. You had my hopes up for a moment. If you get a chance, look at DJI GS pro app and see how waypoint missions can be set up, its the best I've seen so far, and free. Too bad it doesn't work for little Sparkie. .It does with the Mavik Air though, another plus for Air! With GS Pro, you can plot a huge grid, take a photo every 3 seconds, stitch them all together with Microsoft Image Composite Editor (also free) and create a huge high resolution area map or photo, you can make several of these, stitch them all together and Map larger and larger areas.

I own a few DJI drones. IMO, if you want to upgrade skip the Mavic Air and go for the Mavic Pro. Based on your criteria I'd go with the Mavic Pro. The Mavic Air's range is no better than the Spark when it comes to Wifi dense places like the 'burbs. The video gets laggy fast, meaning shorter distances. It asks for CCs more frequently than any other DJI drone I've owned. I constantly get warnings about signal interference.

It is the only DJI Drone that I've lost complete contact that it initiated auto-RTH all under 1000' (in wifi dense) areas twice already. The camera is better than the Spark. You don't have to mess with the settings to get a good picture, BUT when compared to the Mavic Pro, especially if you are using the pics and videos for "social media" you can't tell the difference between the MP and MA.

The MP handles the wind better than the MA. Some will argue its the other way around. But my experience says otherwise.

Size? Sure the MP is slightly bigger than the MA when folded, but is that small a size difference going to honestly make difference? Probably not.

I alway say; "If I could only keep one drone it would be the Mavic Pro"... Believe me I have no dog in this fight. Owning all these DJI drones I can look at them objectively. I don't have to defend my decision having to choose one over the other.

Its a good time to buy a used MP. There are many people convinced the MA is the way to go so they re dumping their MPs...

I'm currently contemplating upgrading my spark to a Mavic air. Issue is I can't afford both, so spark would have to go to help finance it.

I'm primarily interested in the extended range and flight times. 4K is a nice bonus.

So what do you guys think? Any opinions from the guys who have both?

Reactions: JimboBeamish
I too was drooling at the Mavic Air since it was launched close to the time I bought the Spark. However in my case I have been extremely happy with the Spark and am glad I did not opt for the Mavic. This is for a few reasons:

1. I am surprised to find that I am using the Spark more for photography than for videos and there is no difference in photo quality between the two. The videos I do take are typically short clips posted to social media so 4K is definitely not needed.

2. I am a new drone pilot and feel much better about learning on and experimenting with the less expensive Spark.

3. Most accessories, especially batteries are much cheaper for the Spark than for the Mavic.

So far the Spark fits my needs incredibly well and any upgrade would be solely for my ego to say I have the best, there is no additional feature or functionality that I wish I had at this time. I will however likely purchase whatever may eventually replace the Mavic Air, since at that time I will be a much more mature drone pilot/photographer/videographer.

Would you not say the ability to take photos in RAW/DNG format would give the Air the edge over the Spark? Agree on the video. Is the 4K worth it when it hogs memory and requires a fast computer to process, and there are virtually no 4K screens in general circulation so most non social media is still viewed on HD anyway.

Just get the Autopilot app for your Spark and voila! Waypoints!
I bought AutoPilot a few years back to use with my Phantom 3 (that I sold and now just recently got the Spark). But I never did learn how to use it - it was over my head. Any help for me, where and how I could learn how to use it? I’m computer savvy but I am 49 years old!

I did this upgrade and am happy I did, the MA is a nice small overall package, but I have to admit that I saw a MPPlatinum in flight at the Photography show last month and felt MPP envy it was so much quieter. There are many MA advantages already mentioned above but the front and rear collision avoidance on the MA is a nice plus.

Reactions: Sp@rkyPilot55
Thats another good point. The MP is more quiet than the MA. Some videos that do a db test shows the MA is not any louder but there is definitely something either the pitch of the blades or something that IMO, makes the sound of the MA more annoying and I can hear it further away than even my Spark. I guess on the positive side even when I temporarily lose sight of my MA I know its still airborne as I can hear the motors going.

I did this upgrade and am happy I did, the MA is a nice small overall package, but I have to admit that I saw a MPPlatinum in flight at the Photography show last month and felt MPP envy it was so much quieter. There are many MA advantages already mentioned above but the front and rear collision avoidance on the MA is a nice plus.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GregorioDy