Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Tablet for RC Controller

NoobPilot

Join
Jun 29, 2017
Reading that a lot of you guys are using IPad Minis with the RC controller. I am not an Apple user. My RC controller is on the way. Any suggestions as to an Andriod tablet that will fit into the RC controller?

I'm not an Apple guy either, but the iPad Mini 4 is "hands down" the best tablet to use with the DJI Go. Just do a search here and on DJI forum for Android and read the horror stories.

Reactions: Sparkbart
I'm not an Apple fan so I bought the Nexus 7 (2013) which is recommended and supported by DJI and has a much brighter screen. Fits amazingly well on the controller and does not look bulky at all. I have flown the Spark a few times with it and so far, no app crashes. Be advised that the Ipad Mini WIFI does not have GPS.

Best Tablets/Phones for DJI GO | Phantom Help

I am amazed when I read that somebody would rather go out and buy a product it is marginally acceptable (android) over one that works extremely well (Apple) just because they hate a company..... especially when this can lead to complete loss of the drone through a fly away. ........;and you put your display device in airplane mode anyway, so it doesn't matter if the tablet has got Wi-Fi or not......

I am amazed when I read that somebody would rather go out and buy a product it is marginally acceptable (android) over one that works extremely well (Apple) just because they hate a company..... especially when this can lead to complete loss of the drone through a fly away. ........;and you put your display device in airplane mode anyway, so it doesn't matter if the tablet has got Wi-Fi or not......
You ought to see the heated debate going on over on the Mavic forum in regards to this topic.

Android Ipad 4 replacement

You ought to see the heated debate going on over on the Mavic forum in regards to this topic.

Android Ipad 4 replacement
Oh I've seen it there, I usually weigh in and throw gas there too. I realize it's politically correct To hate the G20 meetings, Wall Street, billionaires, Republicans and Apple, but it makes no sense when DJI clearly has better programmers on the Apple side than android. If I had a $500 drone that worked clearly better with a display made by Charlie Manson family I'd be buying it, **** the source, I don't like disconnects!

The android version will be same, but with some delay.
This time I purchased my first iProduct not because I hate or so, just because vacation are very close and currently it run better. Now I have to get lighting and usb cable :(, purchase app another time (try to avoid). With Phantom 3, no issue to use Android app now (at start it was same story as here).
Now I have one, I could just say it is not the same. I found my iPad limiting my flexibility and the way I use such product. On the other side, this limitation make that you can build an app like GO app in a more confortable It is much easier to do it first for IOS as you have more or less to make it for one system (hardware, operating system and app). For android, it is clear, there is a high number of combination of hardware, android version and other installed app that can interact with your app. So the way DJI do it is not they have better programmer for IOS or android, it is just easier to make an app for IOS.

I found that my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" tablet could not fit in RC. I read somewhere that tablets that fit in the Mavic RC would not fit the Spark RC. The two RCs are virtually the same dimensions. I used my Dremel to cut out where the arm hits when opening, just a bit, and now it fits fine! If you cut a touch off the other end that hits up against the body you can even have more clearance!
I had pictures but seemed to have misplaced them. Will up them when I can!
Robert

When I got my first DJI drone, a Phantom 3, I did a bunch of research on which Tablet to get. I didn't want to spend a mint on an Apple Ipad. But after reading about issues with other tablets I went with an Ipad. Since then I've used Ipads exclusively with my DJI drones with ZERO issues. Ipad Airs, Minis, Pros, etc with my Phantom 4, Mavic, Inspire, and now Spark with ZERO issues...

On any of the other forums I frequent you see so few issues with IPads compared to other tablets.

I found that my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" tablet could not fit in RC. I read somewhere that tablets that fit in the Mavic RC would not fit the Spark RC. The two RCs are virtually the same dimensions. I used my Dremel to cut out where the arm hits when opening, just a bit, and now it fits fine! If you cut a touch off the other end that hits up against the body you can even have more clearance!
I had pictures but seemed to have misplaced them. Will up them when I can!
Robert

I have a Tab A 8" on the way but not sure if I regret it after reading that some have had some luck and some haven't. I didn't want to splurge on a top of the line tablet (Tab S2, Ipad Mini 4, etc.) but just wanted something decent. I have a Note 5 which I usually use, no issues, but wanted a screen that was a tad bigger. Has the Tab A 8" worked for you? Wanted a tablet to use with my Mavic and Spark.

The Tab A 8" seems to work fine. It's a dedicated device just for Drone Stuff. Airplane mode and do not disturb on. The minor cutting let me spread the arms enough to accommodate the tablet. I'm using a OTG cable and it works fine . I did order an adapter to mount a tablet holder and that works even better!

The Tab A 8" seems to work fine. It's a dedicated device just for Drone Stuff. Airplane mode and do not disturb on. The minor cutting let me spread the arms enough to accommodate the tablet. I'm using a OTG cable and it works fine . I did order an adapter to mount a tablet holder and that works even better!

So you don't experience any video lag like some have reported who've tried the TAB A tablets? This is good news and I don't regret not ordering the TAB A now. Also I'm assuming you have nothing else installed on the tablet except DJI Go?

Yes I'll be using OTG cable and also ordered a tablet holder.

Anyone use an ipod touch? I am asking as the ipod mini **** near costs as much as the drone. Wife wont go with that choice lol.

I use a crappy Alcatel Idol 4 running Android 6.0 and I have zero problems. It was a phone I had and the screen had a couple cracks so those areas of the screen are dead as in if you touch those spots, nothing happens. The screen is reversible so if I need to do something on that side of the screen, I flip the phone over. I've had no cutouts or crashes. I do use the OTG cable but that's it. I also use the same phone for my Bebop 2 with FPV.

I'm NOT a fan of Apple products but after trying a few Android devices that our family had i went out and bought an ipad 2 mini second hand. It just works so well :/

Reactions: r_e_nm
I just did the same thing. I have an Acer Iconia 8" tablet and was able to remove the smallest bit of material to make it fit. I AM an Apple user but I'd rather keep my iPhone as my phone and use the bigger screen on the tablet. I have the tablet for viewing off SD cards while away. STUPID not to have µSD slot on idevices. Paid like $98 for it so no problem if I run it over with my sled or lose it.

I would just like to add to this conversation. I too am an android user back to the first Note. Recently I have been using my Note 3 running a Note 5 ROM and have had no problems w/everything DJI that I have, (P3S, Mavic, and now Spark). The tablet bug bit me so I went with a Tab A, 8gb RAM and was thoroughly disappointed. It was so slow to do everything from loading Go 4 to connecting. Then, with only 8gb of ram, it seemed everything took twice as long as it took my Note. We'll, bit the bullet and got a Mini 4 (ipad) with 128 gb on board and must admit it is NICE! The only thing is Apple's file system sucks. Why can't I see DJI cache and DJI Record albums on this thing in Photos? Android has "Gallery". I don't see anything like it on apple. And trying to use a flash drive to transfer files is so far next to impossible. I think I have to buy some $25 Camera Card Reader, but not sure. And how do you access I cloud? Is that the only way? Any tips would be appreciated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme