Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Tablet Type - Opinion and what do you use?

Tcrooksy

Join
Dec 19, 2018
I'm seeking your opinion on what type of tablet to get to use with my Spark Controller. I have an Apple iPhone SE which is their smallest screen. (This is what I like because I actually make phone calls with it. lol) However, it's not the greatest to use with my Spark Controller. I'm looking for something with a larger screen. Do I go with the iPad Mini? A Samsung Galaxy Tab4? Something else? Your thoughts are appreciated.

i have had the mavic pro for several years now and I learned early on that a Ipad Mini 4 fit in the phone holder just fine. I had to remove the phone cord slider. My hope was to use the mini for the spark. Well, after a bit of struggle, I was able to get it in place. Now with no struggle, it fits in the radio arms with no problem. I feel that the DJI app is more robust with the IOS rather than the Android but that's a different subject. My mini has served me well and I plan on using it with the spark often.
Funny thing. I bought the spark for the portability of flight and find myself not even using the remote. I actually have an S 8 android and seams to work well. My S 7 years ago would crash often with the DJI app but this 8 is doing well. Not to say that the Ipad does not work well via wifi, it's just the phone is more portable. Hope this helps. Quick test of the follow me using just the phone as the controller.

Reactions: Tcrooksy
If you want the iPad, get a big screen and lots of memory, but beware of the sun. I personally went with the 7.8” Crystalsky for my Spark and MPP (the CS will do both on one unit). It is only about $600, eliminates the need to turn off all the pad controls so I son’t Get calls and messages during flight... then turning them back on afterward. CS is 30% brighter than phones or pads even at the one I bought and the top of the line is twice that bright... batteries last about 5-6hrs each and you get 2 with the device. The CS does have the flaw of needing an update, but it does all the functions for piloting that other devices offer. I did opt for the foldable sunscreen, but only because I wanted to protect the screen in my case during transport/storage.

I'm happy with my mini-4 but I put it in a holder that holds it centered above the RC. Bright light washes it out so also use a 3- sided visor with it.

The old dedicated mini (clean of apps & queries)
still doing the job fine, for now...
I'll stick to Apple and will soon look for a mini 4.
About the reflection in the screen, an anti-glare
protector eliminated that beyond expectations...

The old dedicated mini (clean of apps & queries)
still doing the job fine, for now...
I'll stick to Apple and will soon look for a mini 4.
About the reflection in the screen, an anti-glare
protector eliminated that beyond expectations...

Yeah - I put the anti-glare on mine too but still could not see it in the sun. Pretty happy with the hood though.

I'm seeking your opinion on what type of tablet to get to use with my Spark Controller. I have an Apple iPhone SE which is their smallest screen. (This is what I like because I actually make phone calls with it. lol) However, it's not the greatest to use with my Spark Controller. I'm looking for something with a larger screen. Do I go with the iPad Mini? A Samsung Galaxy Tab4? Something else? Your thoughts are appreciated.
It is probable that an ipad mini 5 will be released this year, and possibly this spring - speculation is March.
The ipad mini 4 works great. If the mini 5 is released, it will have at least a better processor. However, being that the mini 4 works well, the price on the 4 will likely drop following the release of the 5

I use iPad mini 4. I have had problems with the picture breaking up mostly when it’s warmer outside. Once I turned everything else off and got rid of everything on the mini except DJI APP AND uav forecast it has performed better. If it’s in a case it over heats on hot days.

From what I have read a regular iPad has a faster processor. A10? Mini 4 Still has A8

Other problem is screen brightness on sunny day. You will need a hood.

As far as mounts go just read the description make sure you know the dimiensikns of your tablet and read reviews to see what people think. Cheaper mounts constantly move and can’t handle the weight but most work well.

Make sure the Spark is going to be your only drone before you invest too much. Must people end up buying a Mavic or phantom. The spark ends becoming the go to drone for parties and social gatherings where your phones 300 foot range is plenty.

Yeah - I put the anti-glare on mine too but still could not see it in the sun. Pretty happy with the hood though.

I did the same thing. Screen protector and then a shade.

I'm happy with my hood too.

It blocks the light from all sides.

I’m still so temped to get the smart controller . If it worked with spark too it might be worth the price.

I’m still so temped to get the smart controller . If it worked with spark too it might be worth the price.

It doesn't work with the Spark but you can purchase the Crystal Sky from DJI.

Nope, only work for the Mavic Pro 2 and zoom. It needs to have occusync 2 which none of previous aircrafts have. So the majority of current DJI drones are incompatible.

My Spark is used primarily at home when we have a gathering, etc. I use mostly the gesture and following modes for that with no controller and my iPhone in it’s case. Point is that depending on your plans you may not need a separate controller. Just another $0.02

Does the Crystal Sky work with the Spark?

e

Well that's odd, DJI's own website doesn't list the Spark on the list but they do sell the mounting bracket for the Spark / Mavic controller.

I have found posts on Spark Pilots and DJI Forums that the CS does work with the Spark.

Some of the post were old and stated that it only worked with WiFi and then later it worked with the OTG cable.

I'd contact DJI directly to be fore pulling the trigger on such an expensive monitor.

The connectivity (physical) is different. When I use my iPhone in the controller mount for the Spark there is no port on the controller not any connection cable. The two controllers are slightly different. I have not tried my MPP controller with the Spark though.

The problem with crystal sky is it’s expensive and it’s to thick to fit in most brackets . You have to pay dji $80 for a bracket? So it still won’t be easy to use it on various aircraft.

I like to see a list of the brightest tablets and how long they last

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast