Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Tablet Type - Opinion and what do you use?

I'm seeking your opinion on what type of tablet to get to use with my Spark Controller. I have an Apple iPhone SE which is their smallest screen. (This is what I like because I actually make phone calls with it. lol) However, it's not the greatest to use with my Spark Controller. I'm looking for something with a larger screen. Do I go with the iPad Mini? A Samsung Galaxy Tab4? Something else? Your thoughts are appreciated.
the best connectable tablet is the ipad mini 4 around 350.00

Reactions: Tcrooksy
i have iPad mini 4 and if you strip of everything it works but even today with partial sun I couldn’t see the screen. The A8 processor struggles with GO4 . Any apple product running A10 is better.

Reactions: Tcrooksy and Decado
I've gone back to using my dedicated 5se. It's horrible in the bright sun and the summer heat seems dim it more but I hate dragging around a huge Ipad. Without a sun shield that is not too great either, and lets face it...what fun is it to have a discreet little drone and have to use such a huge controller.

I've gone back to using my dedicated 5se. It's horrible in the bright sun and the summer heat seems dim it more but I hate dragging around a huge Ipad. Without a sun shield that is not too great either, and lets face it...what fun is it to have a discreet little drone and have to use such a huge controller.
I have an se as well but haven’t used it with my Spark yet. (Winter in Michigan) do you find the screen big enough?

I have an se as well but haven’t used it with my Spark yet. (Winter in Michigan) do you find the screen big enough?
It's a compromise. If I stay in the shade and have a good idea of the photo mission it's pretty good. If I don't know the local area it can be little scary to tell the truth, and I've had to hit the return to home quite a few times. Also, It seems to dim out in the heat. I think that's a built in battery saving device and it's a bummer. But for me.. I just didn't like walking around with a Ipad mounted.
Hope you get to fly soon. You're going to love the Spark..I know I sure do
P.S. I had to upgrade my phone with the Mavic Air. The Air won't run on the 5se

I bought a used iPhone 6S that's dedicated to the Spark. The Sprint iPhone 6S phones are pretty cheap since they are locked to Sprint and can't be switched to other services like other cell provider's phones can (I bought 2 excellent condition phones for $130 each, find them on Swappa, eBay and Amazon), and you can activate them on Tello for free with a pay as you go plan. I only turn on the data when I need it while flying.

I've not had as much luck with Android devices for DJI Go (3 or 4), I prefer to cache video and only the Apple products seem to be able to keep up with caching the video stream consistently. Otherwise you get a jumpy, jerking video screen while in flight. If turning off video caching (or setting the smallest cache size and letting it fill up to stop the caching) cures that, then your phone is too slow to write the video to the cache and is ill suited to the task.

The advantage of using a cellular iPhone or iPad is that it has GPS (WiFi only Apple devices don't have on-board GPS, they use WiFi for location services), and the map can update while outside of WiFi range thru cellular data if needed. There's also the advantage of using Airmap and Verifly to plan the flight and buy insurance if necessary as well on the phone. I also run Litchi on it, as well as DJI Ground Station.

The iPhone 6S fits the Spark controller perfectly, though you could use the Plus size without issue as well. I also use a sun shade hood and a USB cable to connect it to the controller. But I use the WiFi if I plan to use the DJI googles as you need to connect to the phone first to unlock the Spark for regular use (otherwise it comes up in beginner mode with the goggles, limiting how far and how high you can fly).

I use a Sprint iPad Mini (on FreedomPop) with the Phantom 3 4K that I own, though recently picked up an iPad 4 WiFi in excellent condition for $85 that I may start using. Only reason the iPad Mini works with the P3 4K is that it sends a 480 SD video stream back and the iPad Mini just barely keeps with with it (it's an iPad 2 in a smaller form factor, I'm lucky it works at all!). I expect the performance to improve with the iPad 4. Limits on the iPad Mini and iPad 4 are that they won't run DJI Go 4, only DJI Go 3. But they do run Litchi, allowing them to still be used with the Spark or other DJI quads (though video caching has to be turn off on the Mini).

I use an iPad Pro 9.7" tablet with the Phantom 4 Advanced and it works good, though I'm able to use the Spark's iPhone 6S with the P4A without issue as well (and vice versa, though the iPad Pro is too big for the Spark controller and has to be used sitting to the side).

A friend recently picked up used DJI Inspire 1 and was also asking about what tablet to use. I asked him if he planned to use the tablet for other things or just the Inspire, and he planned to use it for other things as well. So I recommended that he get an iPad and that he get the latest model with the most memory that he can afford as that'll work the best and last the longest before becoming obsolete. He picked up a newer iPad Pro and is pretty happy with it.

James

When I use a tablet, it’s the iPad mini for both the Spark and Mavic Pro. Just put it in airplane mode and you’re good to go. (Just as you should your phone...)
Definitely need a hood in sunlight though. Even if I had the Crystalsky I would prefer a shade of some sort, but that’s just me. Good luck on your choice!

iPad mini 4 with Mav Mount. Screen is not the brightest and that has frustrated me in recent days.

iPad mini 4 with Mav Mount. Screen is not the brightest and that has frustrated me in recent days.
Yup I was just using it flying in Chambersburg, PA THIS WEEKEND and could not see in partial sun. Didn’t bring my hood though.

Yup I was just using it flying in Chambersburg, PA THIS WEEKEND and could not see in partial sun. Didn’t bring my hood though.
As to the hood I did not bring mine either. It works great but it is a hassle.

I also use an iPhone SE for calls, because it fits in my pocket, but agree it is way too small for using with the spark. I use my ipad mini 2 with a black 3 sided screen surround which you can get on the web for a very reasonable price. The screen is still a little difficult to see in bright sunlight but the screen does help.

Is there a tablet with screen brightness equal to the new DJI Smart controller? Ive been thinking about getting the smart controller.... silly things about the crystal sky tablet is that it still requires mounting hardware that makes it difficult to switch from remote to remote... to thick to be held by most brackets.

Is there a tablet with screen brightness equal to the new DJI Smart controller? Ive been thinking about getting the smart controller.... silly things about the crystal sky tablet is that it still requires mounting hardware that makes it difficult to switch from remote to remote... to thick to be held by most brackets.

Save your money, the new controller doesn't work wtih the Spark or Mavic Air since they are WiFi and not Occusync like the others.

The new DJI controller does not work with the Spark.

Could someone confirm to me that ipad mini 2 is still capable to run dji go 4 with spark and otg with latest update (ios, dji, firmware)
I have good offer for mini 2, but I dont know if is usable :)
Thank you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh