Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Tips on Flying Indoors Needed

Sparkbart

Join
Jul 1, 2017
I've been asked by my company (Tech) to participate in presentation they will be giving to one of those STEM-centric High Schools. They've asked me to demonstrate tech through drones.

The presentation and flying area will be held in an Air Museum (some cool, historic aircraft) which is in an old Hanger. I'm not counting on the weather being nice and being able to fly my Inspire or Mavic Pro outside (March can see A LOT of snow here in Colorado). I'm planning on bringing my AP drones and FPV drones, including my "Tiny Whoop" and 3" FPV racers.

But I'd like to fly my Spark (maybe my Mavic Air). I've never flown any of my DJI drones indoors and don't have a large enough indoor space to practice to see how it reacts. I'm used to flying/racing tiny whoops and other small drones indoors so I have no problem flying a drone that doesn't have VPS or GPS.

My concern is my Spark may try to do things because of these aides that might affect the way it flies or my ability to control it. I've searched this forum for this topic "Flying Indoors" and it seemed the only things people said to do was use the prop guards and set RTH to current altitude...

Is that it? Nothing to turn off or disable?

Last thing I want is for my Spark to fly into some classic WWI canvas-covered Sopwith Camel and put a hole in it!

Any tips would be appreciated!

I've been asked by my company (Tech) to participate in presentation they will be giving to one of those STEM-centric High Schools. They've asked me to demonstrate tech through drones.

The presentation and flying area will be held in an Air Museum (some cool, historic aircraft) which is in an old Hanger. I'm not counting on the weather being nice and being able to fly my Inspire or Mavic Pro outside (March can see A LOT of snow here in Colorado). I'm planning on bringing my AP drones and FPV drones, including my "Tiny Whoop" and 3" FPV racers.

But I'd like to fly my Spark (maybe my Mavic Air). I've never flown any of my DJI drones indoors and don't have a large enough indoor space to practice to see how it reacts. I'm used to flying/racing tiny whoops and other small drones indoors so I have no problem flying a drone that doesn't have VPS or GPS.

My concern is my Spark may try to do things because of these aides that might affect the way it flies or my ability to control it. I've searched this forum for this topic "Flying Indoors" and it seemed the only things people said to do was use the prop guards and set RTH to current altitude...

Is that it? Nothing to turn off or disable?

Last thing I want is for my Spark to fly into some classic WWI canvas-covered Sopwith Camel and put a hole in it!

Any tips would be appreciated!
Its pretty stable flying indoor with opti mode,props guard is a must,turn off obstacles avoidance sensor and flying L.O.S...never hit the RTH button indoor

I suggest using sport mode and be light on the sticks.
At least avoid tripod mode.
Because if it looses vps track and goes to atti mode, the speed increases many times
with no warning. Atti mode is over 15 times faster than tripod mode (pretty surprising).

It won’t go higher than 5 meters without gps.
And yes, don’t let RTH happen. I’m not sure if low battery might activate it. I hope not.

I suggest using sport mode and be light on the sticks.
At least avoid tripod mode.
Because if it looses vps track and goes to atti mode, the speed increases many times
with no warning. Atti mode is over 15 times faster than tripod mode (pretty surprising).

It won’t go higher than 5 meters without gps.
And yes, don’t let RTH happen. I’m not sure if low battery might activate it. I hope not.

I've flown many hours indoors in a tactical environment. I've never lost VPS. I use tripod most of the time, especially going through doors and windows. The only time I turn it off is when I'm changing yaw, because it goes too slowly. As soon as my yaw is done, I go back into it. And, as you said, RTH is never used indoors.

Reactions: Sparkbart
Just did this exact same thing with an elementary school STEM Night last week. I used the Spark's gesture control (really just doing a palm launch, palm follow, then palm landing) to cap a discussion on the future of drones. I didn't do anything special at all, just follow what everyone else has said and you should be fine. I know it's not perfect, but the average person, kid or grown-up, is pretty impressed by these little machines. :)

I used my Spark in atti mode in my rather small dining room no problems at all, I then took a 360 of my dining room to see how that works indoors, stitched on the drone it had a stitch error but I could probably have fixed that off drone, might be a nice touch if you took one.

does the spark have atti on demand?

I've read here on another thread that you can place aluminum foil (or foil tape) over the top rear portion if the Spark and it will block the GPS signal.

I haven't tried it myself.

I've read here on another thread that you can place aluminum foil (or foil tape) over the top rear portion if the Spark and it will block the GPS signal.

I haven't tried it myself.
Sure it does,even if you place you palm on top of the spark it will block the gps signal

Sure it does,even if you place you palm on top of the spark it will block the gps signal

Ever try flying it with your hand on top of it?

My point was to put the Spark in Atti-mode, if you wanted too, for practice, in response to the post by John Barkley.

Of course it's not "on demand", but it could be accomplished.

Ever try flying it with your hand on top of it?

My point was to put the Spark in Atti-mode, if you wanted too, for practice, in response to the post by John Barkley.

Of course it's not "on demand", but it could be accomplished.
Lol,your dont get it are your?how stupid people can be

My spark flys great indoors. Solid. Let go of the sticks and it stays right where it stops. No drift. No float. Holds altitude. I don’t do anything special when I fly. Just turn it on and go. Flies in Atti Mode.

I fly with a group of RC’ers that have access to a metal building that’s about 40’ by 80’ with a 15’ ceiling. We fly a variety of battery powered aircraft. Quad’s, helicopters, planes. Night Vapors are the most common planes.

It gets to be somewhat of a free for all at times. It’s kind of fun to knock some of the toy quads out of the air with the downwash from my Spark. They don’t see it coming ‘til it’s too last. Four or five feet above them and they’re in instant landing mode.

I flew mine indoors once.. It was fine, but the GPS kept tring to lock, in and out of ATTI mode.. Then all on its own it went "Exit, stage left" into a wall.. Keep in mind, it was in a building with tons of Metal all around, and many wifi's all around.. Coined it to that..

I did nothing special and did it many times, started outside and just flew inside and no problems at all.

Last edited:
Best of all, . it takes much better photos then most of a typically phone. eg iphone 7 plus.
10 people sat on a dinning table. i took video, photos. and compare 10 photos taken by a iPhone 7.
the results is clear winner.
like a party celebration during a chinese New year. i am indeed very happy to do memorable video project.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme