Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Total loss of control

Adan_1316

Join
Jan 11, 2019
I recently lost my Spark to a total loss of control. i was flying on the beach, and as soon as i took off the drone just keeps spinning, absolutely no control from the sticks. RTH works just fine, but as soon as it comes over my head and wants to decend, it starts spinning uncontrollably again, and after many atrempts, it ran out of battery and crashed into the ocean.
firmware was updated to latest, no warnings during takeoff and low wind.
RTH works, so i dont think its GPS or compass related. photo shows i was over the sea, but i was actually on a man made island, doesnt seem to be on maps yet though

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190111-190753.jpg
    Screenshot_20190111-190753.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 98
Hi!
Sorry for your loss!
Put your story in the Spark section at forum.dji.com and a dji representative will respond and tell you what to do.

If you've not already done it, of course.

woah that looks bizarre and quite scary! Could you see the drone at the time?

Had EXACTLY the same issue !
See attached screenshots - as you can see I have been flying a long time, and am an extremely experienced pilot. Fully charged battery on board, and as you can see flew off a wharf turned on camera and slowly came back in .. less than 30m from where I was standing my Spark started to do erratic 360 degree turn and then went into landing function - I had no control over the unit yet had perfect GPS / RTH and had just calibrated the compass and IMU after last flight. I was roughly 3m off the surface of the water when it did this.

Absolutely no warnings, had strong signal 5ghz and I have owned this Spark for 2 odd years - never had a problem with it and I have a case for it and the control and keep it in immaculate condition.

This 43 year old is a heart broken man. Went for a swim to attempt to locate it but the sharks are out in season this summer in Australia and near this bridge it just isn’t wise at dusk .. not very happy!

Beware people. Something not right with latest updates and firmware I believe.

Attachments

• 3CEF50E0-AFC5-4AA2-B3AD-74122BE634B0.png
    3CEF50E0-AFC5-4AA2-B3AD-74122BE634B0.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 63
  • 418730AA-6C67-42CE-8C38-EB87014E7E1E.png
    418730AA-6C67-42CE-8C38-EB87014E7E1E.png
    490 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: windryder
I'm beginning to wonder if DJI is even trying to get it right. I'm scared to fly mine.

Reactions: windryder
woah that looks bizarre and quite scary! Could you see the drone at the time?
of course!
its just spinning the whole time
i have camera connection, and line of sight. i just have to watch it hopelessly spinning around until it hits the waves.

looks like i dont have authority to post.
how do i get that?
Hmm, I think new members on the official dji forum are restricted from attachments like photos and files.
Just make a text post and try to describe your experience or contact via link below.
An admin will respond with a link to start a ticket. There you will be prompted to upload some files and further info.

Good luck!

DJI Support – Here for You – DJI

Last edited:
Had EXACTLY the same issue !
See attached screenshots - as you can see I have been flying a long time, and am an extremely experienced pilot. Fully charged battery on board, and as you can see flew off a wharf turned on camera and slowly came back in .. less than 30m from where I was standing my Spark started to do erratic 360 degree turn and then went into landing function - I had no control over the unit yet had perfect GPS / RTH and had just calibrated the compass and IMU after last flight. I was roughly 3m off the surface of the water when it did this.

Absolutely no warnings, had strong signal 5ghz and I have owned this Spark for 2 odd years - never had a problem with it and I have a case for it and the control and keep it in immaculate condition.

This 43 year old is a heart broken man. Went for a swim to attempt to locate it but the sharks are out in season this summer in Australia and near this bridge it just isn’t wise at dusk .. not very happy!

Beware people. Something not right with latest updates and firmware I believe.
Wow as a new flyer this is worrisome.

Could it be a problem with a motor or a prop ?
If we loose thrust on a motor, I suppose it will
induce a spin like an heli loosing his tail rotor...
Is it a possibility ?

Reactions: Bronze661

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme