Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Traveling with the spark

Kirsten van Rijn

Join
Aug 30, 2017
Hi all!

Just bought the European version and read it only flies 500m in Europe ...but I was wondering if I were to travel to the USA for holidays will my spark be able to Fly the full 2000m? Or is the hardware/software restrictive thus not be able to perform more than 500m?

Thanks!

It works with your GPS location, if you travel to USA, spark rc transmission would be in FCC, 2000m

Reactions: His415
Seems like transmission power is set based on GPS location
You got it. FCC/CE is auto selected depending on the current location reported by the GPS receiver inside the Spark.

Hi all!

Just bought the European version and read it only flies 500m in Europe ...but I was wondering if I were to travel to the USA for holidays will my spark be able to Fly the full 2000m? Or is the hardware/software restrictive thus not be able to perform more than 500m?

Thanks!
As replies above - there is no 'European Version' of the platform, they are all identical. RF power is set by geographic location referenced from GPS data.

If the signal drops out, (at whatever distance) it should RTH, no? What makes this it unsafe to fly?
It is just the last chance to get it back and cross the fingers during its un-managed return that it didn't encounter anything.
If you base on it to fly, you will come to trouble a day or another, it is your (or the Spark or your money) last chance to be back. You will see with time how much you will be stressed before you see it back during a RTH.

Before flight:
  1. RTH altitude, this has to be balanced with the battery needed to climb to RTH altitude. Setting 100m altitude is fine as there is usually nothing at that height but it could require a lot of energy to the battery to do it. Battery indicator don't take it into account.
  2. RTH mode according to kind of flight, long distance = NOT return at current altitude
  3. Wind direction, better to flight first against the wind and come back with the wind.
  4. Don't use SPORT mode for normal flight, use it to come back if needed.
During flight:
  1. Battery level, can I return safely, if it RTH, can I climp to the needed altitude and come back?
  2. When you get 30%, you should be close to take off point, not starting to think to return.
  3. Wind speed, Spark can be smashed by wind and forget your RTH, so watch wind. Wind can be different with altitude and also location.
  4. If link start to get lags, first try to get some altitude, that will help. Turn the Spark back and check you you can see your location, it is needed to be line of sight for proper remote control (RC) radio connection. Foliage or obstacle will kill RC signal, avoid them between you and the Spark.
Most probably I forget some of such basic rules/trick, please free to remember me there ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers