Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Understanding the use of Android or iPhone device with your controller and drone

nutsnbolts

Join
Nov 25, 2017
So I'm trying to understand the technology behind how all this works.

Do you need an active cell phone whether it be an iPhone or an Android or can you use any device that doesnt have cell service?

My assumption is that you don't need to have cell service however it's better if you did am I correct? I can see that if you did have cell service than the maps would show up without having to download prior although I'm not sure how you would do that at this point but it just does it make it easier if you had cell service.

Obviously I haven't flown my spark and mavic pro Platinum yet it's been grounded till I fully understand everything.

Furthermore is the GPS connectivity coming from the cell phone itself? In other words the spark doesn't have GPS.

The reason I'm asking this is because I was looking to purchase the Crystal Sky and was wondering how that worked because it doesn't have cell service from my understanding.

Do you need an active cell phone whether it be an iPhone or an Android or can you use any device that doesnt have cell service?
No, you do not need to use a mobile device that has an active cellular connection. You can also use a Wi-Fi only mobile device.

My assumption is that you don't need to have cell service however it's better if you did am I correct?
It's better to use a mobile device that has an active cellular connection if you need to do things that require connecting to the Internet while you're out flying (e.g. downloading the maps in DJI GO).

I can see that if you did have cell service than the maps would show up without having to download prior although I'm not sure how you would do that at this point
You can also cache (download and store offline) the maps in DJI GO in a location where you have an Internet connection before you head out to fly. Check out this post for more details.

is the GPS connectivity coming from the cell phone itself? In other words the spark doesn't have GPS.
The Spark contains a GPS receiver. It uses data from its GPS receiver whenever it needs to figure out its position (like when it sets the home point). If you're using a mobile device that has a GPS receiver, that'll also allow you to manually reset the home point to your position after taking off. Most people are probably not using that feature, but it could be useful if you often move away from the home point after taking off (like flying from a moving boat).

I was looking to purchase the Crystal Sky and was wondering how that worked because it doesn't have cell service from my understanding.
Right -- CrystalSky is a Wi-Fi only device. If you need to do anything that requires connecting to the Internet, you'll need to do those things before heading out to fly.

Reactions: DesertWindAero
No, you do not need to use a mobile device that has an active cellular connection. You can also use a Wi-Fi only mobile device.

It's better to use a mobile device that has an active cellular connection if you need to do things that require connecting to the Internet while you're out flying (e.g. downloading the maps in DJI GO).

You can also cache (download and store offline) the maps in DJI GO in a location where you have an Internet connection before you head out to fly. Check out this post for more details.

The Spark contains a GPS receiver. It uses data from its GPS receiver whenever it needs to figure out its position (like when it sets the home point). If you're using a mobile device that has a GPS receiver, that'll also allow you to manually reset the home point to your position after taking off. Most people are probably not using that feature, but it could be useful if you often move away from the home point after taking off (like flying from a moving boat).

Right -- CrystalSky is a Wi-Fi only device. If you need to do anything that requires connecting to the Internet, you'll need to do those things before heading out to fly.
Perfect responses. Just what I needed thanks for clarifying it.

I am getting the spark for Christmas, this will be my first drone, and I plan on connecting the RC to my WiFi only iPad. Will the iPad be able to use my phone as a hotspot while out in the field?

Aside from downloading maps, is there any other need for an active cell signal?

I do have an iPhone 6+ I can use, or my iPhone X, if it would be better.

Will the iPad be able to use my phone as a hotspot while out in the field?
Yes.

Aside from downloading maps, is there any other need for an active cell signal?
An active cell signal will allow you to use functions that require connecting to the Internet (like downloading maps, logging into DJI GO, etc.). While you can fly without maps, downloading maps is probably really the only thing you'd ever need to do when out flying your Spark.

Reactions: shutter13
Msinger

I read that post about downloading the maps but I don't see anything or anywhere to download.

When I launch the DJI Go 4 app. I can't connect to device or get to the fly screen without connecting to the drone. Otherwise when I select decide it brings up the wifi menu.

Any other suggestions or what I'm doing wrong.

Msinger

I read that post about downloading the maps but I don't see anything or anywhere to download.

When I launch the DJI Go 4 app. I can't connect to device or get to the fly screen without connecting to the drone. Otherwise when I select decide it brings up the wifi menu.

Any other suggestions or what I'm doing wrong.
Msinger actually...

I just launched the DJI go 4 all and I selected the 3 bars at top and chose "finf my drone" that brought up the map but not sure what to do from there.

Per the post I linked above, you just need to scroll around on the map in DJI GO to cache the images for the location where you'll be flying.

When I launch the DJI Go 4 app. I can't connect to device or get to the fly screen without connecting to the drone.
You should be able to click "Enter Device" to get into the fly screen even when your Spark is not connected to DJI GO. Once you're there, you can view the map and scroll around on it to cache the maps. Your mobile device will of course need to be connected to the Internet while doing this.

I just launched the DJI go 4 all and I selected the 3 bars at top and chose "finf my drone" that brought up the map but not sure what to do from there.
I've never tried to cache the maps from that screen. It appears to work just fine though.

Actually msinger.

When I click on "Enter Device". It then brings up my wifi screen prompting me to select which wifi to connect to, if its not already connected to the RC. It doesn't seem to allow me past that screen. In other words no RC connected no access to the Fly screen. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

On the other hand, I did stumble upon another post somewhere that they actually took out the download map options due to issues with Here maps. I think it will come back once fixed but for now the cache option by doing a "Find Drone" to bring up the map is the only way. Unfortunately that option you can't go to another location unless YOU are there at the location itself.

Unfortunately that option you can't go to another location unless YOU are there at the location itself.
You can scroll around to any location on that map.

You can scroll around to any location on that map.
I tried perhaps I was doing something wrong but the maps seems to snap back to the current location I'm at. I'll give it another go when I fly again.

When I click on "Enter Device". It then brings up my wifi screen prompting me to select which wifi to connect to,

When I click "Enter Device" on my iPad mini4 with the Spark OFF, it allows me to enter the app.

When I click "Enter Device" on my Galaxy s7 with the Spark OFF, it does what you're experiencing, going to the WiFi menu.

Another difference between the two?

When I click "Enter Device" on my iPad mini4 with the Spark OFF, it allows me to enter the app.

When I click "Enter Device" on my Galaxy s7 with the Spark OFF, it does what you're experiencing, going to the WiFi menu.

Another difference between the two?
Thanks for the confirmation. I am using a Samsung note 3 Android. But the same as my Samsung S7.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis