Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Used my OTG cable for the first time today

crimsonsoul

Join
Dec 9, 2017
So I used the OTG cable for the first time today and.. well... I wasn't too impressed. the image quality was amazing, but when it comes to distance.. well.. I only got maybe 500 feet away (at about 200 feet in the air) and I got disconnected from the drone. Thankfully RTH worked perfectly and I didn't lose my drone. Using wifi instead of OTG and I made it over 1k feet away before it disconnected. Any idea why this happened, bad luck or? I'm not sure if I should give the otg cable another chance or not.

I went for a distance flight myself. I went off my deck which is 60ft off a valley. Took her to 300ft up, put it in sport, and gone. 8460ft,then RTH. Unreal.

Is it just me?

I am just not impressed at all with distance claims.

I fail to see the appeal or utility.

Plus, in the US, it's either required to keep it in sight (Part 107) or it's recommended (hobby). Anything else is either illegal or irresponsible.

Reactions: The Editor
Not sure what's going on with OTG these days but I got (permanent) disconnects very quickly (maybe 300 meters) with my Android on Saturday after not flying with it for a while as I'd switched to my new iPad. Come to think of it the last time was before the Sphere FW update.

It's not a connection problem because the light stayed green on the remote and it responded just fine. I was on 4.1.15 initially and then went back to 4.1.9 just in case but that didn't help. It seems DJI did something to the way OTG works with the latest FW update...

I think your loss of signal using the OTG cable was a coincidence; maybe some other interference was responsible. I can think of no reason why the OTG cable would affect the range between the RC and the drone; that connection uses its own proprietary WiFi signal.

Is it just me? I am just not impressed at all with distance claims. I fail to see the appeal or utility. Plus, in the US, it's either required to keep it in sight (Part 107) or it's recommended (hobby). Anything else is either illegal or irresponsible.

Sorta like owning a car that go can 150mph...it's not like that's needed or that you'd ever choose to drive that fast, but it feels GOOD knowing you can...plus...hey...there are gonna be times when for whatever reason, you can't get "close" to the subject you are trying to image.

--

Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schmidtrobert