Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Using Spark via USB (OTG) cable [Android]

Ender

Join
Jun 2, 2017
Hi !
Kudos to "Helmair" from the German community "drohnen-forum.de" we got confirmation that you can bind the RC to the Smartphone also via USB cable.
MAYBE you can also use the Mavics original cable but if you dont have that you use a simple USB-OTG Adapter + a reguar micro USB charging cable and connect the phone to the RC. YOu can use Flight-mode on the phone to further stabilize connection.
Good news !

Ender

P.S. my Spark arrives Monday so i hope to be able to confirm that soon as well !

Reactions: Advexure
Did you note the max RTH Altitude is locked to 50 meters when doing this? I'm not sure if other maximums are changed.

RTH ALtitude limited ? That seems a funny thing to do or do you mean max overall Altitude (beeing who you are i know you are knowledgable, JUST making sure, we are all human :) )
Wouldnt care too much as 50m is MY preferred setting anyways...

Ender

RTH ALtitude limited ? That seems a funny thing to do or do you mean max overall Altitude (beeing who you are i know you are knowledgable, JUST making sure, we are all human :) )
Those pesky humans... always wanting someone else to do the research for them ;)

Here's a screenshot when connected to the remote controller via Wi-Fi:

1.jpg

Here's a screenshot when connected to the remote controller via OTG cable:

2.jpg

It must just be a DJI GO glitch. The altitude and distance are not limited when flying with an OTG cable.

Why not try it, i bet 70% of you iOS guys have the Mavic cable OR an iOS charger and a Android USB-OTG Adapter ?!

Ender

Okay ;-) Monday is the day for me :)
Can try iOS as well, got iCrap hardware of all flavours for work..

Will report !

Ender

I'm using an OTG cable with my iPhone 7.

Off-topic, but does anyone got this working on iOS?

It's the only way I have flown my Spark. Since using a cable connected to the same spot on the Mavic controller is all I've ever used with it.

I use an iPad mini 2.

Some have made a big deal about the improved range you get using a direct connection. If so, I feel sorry for the fly-less group because when wired the range really stinks. Wifi must be a nightmare.

Last edited:
It's the only way I have flown my Spark. Since using a cable connected to the same spot on the Mavic controller is all I've ever used with it.

I use an iPad mini 2.

Some have made a big deal about the improved range you get using a direct connection. If so, I feel sorry for the fly-less group because when wired the range really stinks. Wifi must be a nightmare.

Improved control range or video range?

It seems bizarre to me that either would be increased by this..

Improved control range or video range?

It seems bizarre to me that either would be increased by this..

Its to do with the interference. The phone is communicating to the RC via wifi and the RC is communicating to the Spark via wifi. Considering how close the phone is mounted to the controller, the phone maybe "blinding" or hindering the RC's signal strength.

Good find with the direct cable. I wished DJI would have been smart enough or less frugal and supplied a $2 android cable/$400 lightning apple cable.

Reactions: Peter
Its to do with the interference. The phone is communicating to the RC via wifi and the RC is communicating to the Spark via wifi. Considering how close the phone is mounted to the controller, the phone maybe "blinding" or hindering the RC's signal strength.

Good find with the direct cable. I wished DJI would have been smart enough or less frugal and supplied a $2 android cable/$400 lightning apple cable.

Nice, I'll try this later, thanks..

Hi !
Kudos to "Helmair" from the German community "drohnen-forum.de" we got confirmation that you can bind the RC to the Smartphone also via USB cable.
MAYBE you can also use the Mavics original cable but if you dont have that you use a simple USB-OTG Adapter + a reguar micro USB charging cable and connect the phone to the RC. YOu can use Flight-mode on the phone to further stabilize connection.
Good news !

Ender

P.S. my Spark arrives Monday so i hope to be able to confirm that soon as well !
Hello, Can an IOS IPhone 7 plus be connected to the controller?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex