Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Video Compression

Mko

Join
Jul 31, 2018
I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me.

I recently purchased a Spark, and have to say that I'm disappointed with the video quality I'm observing (downloaded straight from my SD card). I notice very significant compression artifacts - my videos appear to be poorly compressed, and detail in (e.g.) people is lost.

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on? I have a Samsung EVO plus 64 gb SD card. (could an issue with my card be causing the compression artifacts?)

Can different firmware builds help?

Thanks,

Mko.

Hi and welcome
Spark quality is normally good.
Can you give an example (post it to youtube and post the link through the MEDIA button).

Usually it is mismatch between the video cached on the phone and the one really on the SD card. Try to put the SD card in a computer and copy it and view it from the computer, same result?

Did you remove the transparent film that protect the lens in front of the camera? There are also similar protection on the 2 cameras at bottom of Spark.

What is the spec of your SD card (or post a picture of it)?

Firmware has low chance to correct that, only a firmware refresh could be an option, but it sounds as a canned answer.

If the micro SD card is not fast enough you will get lost frames that appear as artifact, compression or jittery footage.

They are really cheap now. I got a pair of Samsung Evo Select 64Gb with U3 speed for just $18 each. The 32Gb around $12. Really big improvement in my video compared to prior card. Highly recommended. Just be careful of the source because lots of counterfeit cards on internet (even Amazon and especially eBay).

Yes, especially the ones on eBay. The first micro SD card that I used in my Spark came from an eBay "Top Seller" and it was a "SanDisk Ultra" card. It sent my new Spark into a frenzy as the lights were flashing in random sequences and the cooling fan was going off and on randomly as well. I thought that I had a defective drone for sure. Then I removed the card and everything was fine afterwards. I then went to Walmart and purchased one of the approved cards and the Spark had no issues with it at all. I did get a refund for the other card and the seller admitted that he had purchased his stock from China and would be getting rid of his remaining cards.

Thank you all for your feedback. I am using a Samsung EVO plus 64gb card that I bought from a reliable vendor, but perhaps it is the card that is causing my problems. I am in the process of replacing it now to see if this is causing my problems.

Andre: can you kindly comment more on the improvement you saw when you upgraded your cards? Did it really make that big of a difference in the video quality?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme