Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Video of me trying to save a red tail hawk with spark

ddeanl77

Join
Feb 7, 2020
I just happened to catch a glimpse of this big, beautiful red tail hawk, caught up in a tree, tangled up in some fishing line.

I also just happened to have my spark in the vehicle.

I knew it was a long shot, but I was hoping I could maybe use the props to cut the line, and free the bird. (Those props sure did a swell job of slicing open my thumb one time, so I think it was possible!)

I got a couple of good hits at the line, but the last hit completely broke off one of my props, so then there was nothing besides the crash. At least I didn't end up in the creek!

It is still a pretty good video, of a very unusual situation, so I thought I would share.

PS: I did eventually get the bird cut down, but it sure took a lot more time, and a crazy amount of effort. . .

and then, the bird had to take a ride with a game warden. I just hope its ok.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland ddeanl77.

Nice effort. :)

I occasionally fly my Spark along a creek and before each flight in the area, I scan the area for fishing line hanging from the branches.

I call them the invisible threads of death.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

That was a gallant effort on your part. I hope your Spark was undamaged other than a broken prop. And I'm glad to know that the hawk was rescued in the end.

Reactions: Rwarrior
Speaking as a Spark pilot who has also sliced the top of his thumb off I know just what you’re talking about. But the props are no match for what I presume was fishing line. Although I am in the UK, my wife and I visit the fab US Naples FL every year and I marvel at the beautiful array of birds there (I presume you are in the US?). The red tailed hawk is an absolute favourite of mine so from a grateful British birder, thank you for your efforts and for posting this. Valiant work and hope the hawk survived to grace the skies again.

I just happened to catch a glimpse of this big, beautiful red tail hawk, caught up in a tree, tangled up in some fishing line.

I knew it was a long shot, but I was hoping I could maybe use the props to cut the line, and free the bird. (Those props sure did a swell job of slicing open my thumb one time, so I think it was possible!)

I got a couple of good hits at the line, but the last hit completely broke off one of my props, so then there was nothing besides the crash. At least I didn't end up in the creek!

It is still a pretty good video, of a very unusual situation, so I thought I would share.

PS: I did eventually get the bird cut down, but it sure took a lot more time, and a crazy amount of effort. . .

That was very brave of you and your Spark! Poor hawk.

Reactions: Rwarrior

That was an awesome attempt! Good for you!

Kudos to you for the drone attempt as well as sticking with it until the task was accomplished. Well done.

Wow that you don’t see everyday. As an animal lover it’s awesome to see a person such as yourself risking potential damage (other than props) to your drone to free a helpless beautiful red
tailed hawk. You’re a hero because you pulled no stops to get that bird to safety even though the line wasn’t freed by your drone. Good job!

Yes. I am in the US. Tennessee to be exact.

Thank you guys for the compliments.

I am just glad I found somewhere to share the video where it would be appreciated.

Yes, that was courageous of you! You are a true #SparkHero

Incredible, well done.
You must feel great.
I am not one for any mumbo jumbo but the oldet I get I do feel something of Karma, the better you help the better for you.
Proof, on video that human beings dont always kill everything we see!
I am sure the bird will tell his chicklets (i made that up i think) he was once close to death and a UFO saved his life!

Reactions: ddeanl77
"UFO saved his life!"
Ha! That's good!

Thanks guys, for all the nice words. I definitely picked the right place to share the video.
You guys are great!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme