Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Virtual Joysticks on the phone when connected to the Remote?

Torovolt

Join
Oct 4, 2019
Is it possible to enable the Virtual Joysticks on the phone when connected to the Remote Control (wired or wireless)?
I need this feature so I can control the Spark from Car when is too cold the while the remote is outside.
I tried both DJI Go4 and Litchi and none show the virtual joystick in this setup.
Any hacks or tricks?

I've seen videos on YouTube with remote antennas for the Phantom and Mavic, but not the Spark.

It's probably the same concept and should work.

Car kit to fly from inside the car on winter days.

They do have an antenna mid for the Spark, just not a "car kit".

I've seen videos on YouTube with remote antennas for the Phantom and Mavic, but not the Spark.

It's probably the same concept and should work.

Car kit to fly from inside the car on winter days.

They do have an antenna mid for the Spark, just not a "car kit".

Cool, but I'm not planning on a hardware MOD.
I just need to enable the Virtual Joystick in the Smartphone in any connection setup.
I can see the icon to enable Virtual Joysticks on the Go4 app (bottom left) but it doesn't do anything when connected to RC. :(

Unless something has changed since ver. 1.6 of the manual was written it seems that both types of control (RC or virtual/phone) cannot be enabled together at the same time. I don't think using an OTG cable would make any difference in that scenario but I haven't tried it to be sure. From p.39

rcvirtual.jpg

Yes, I read that part from the manual several days ago which suggest the Virtual Joystick are disabled in those situations unfortunately.
I ordered a GamePad controller for my iPhone to see if that can override the RC but won't get it until Friday.

Reactions: RotorWash
Is it possible to enable the Virtual Joysticks on the phone when connected to the Remote Control (wired or wireless)?
I need this feature so I can control the Spark from Car when is too cold the while the remote is outside.
I tried both DJI Go4 and Litchi and none show the virtual joystick in this setup.
Any hacks or tricks?
I fly with the only the phone in the house. It just loses the signal way to quickly outside for me. But I'm having trouble understanding what you want to do. I would probably understand better if I lived in a cold climate. Alway's sunny, fairly warm and just windier than heck here in the beautiful antelope valley.

What I'm trying to do is to be able to place the Remote (ANTENNA) in a better place for a more stronger and reliable signal, however in these circumstances the Hardware Joysticks are not accessible, hence the need to enable them in the Smartphone.
The bottom line, is I'm trying to find a solution to the problem of wireless range and reliability with the Spark, enabling the Virtual Joysticks would be key.
This open the Spark to many connection scenarios such being inside a car or mounting the RC on a post, etc.

What I'm trying to do is to be able to place the Remote (ANTENNA) in a better place for a more stronger and reliable signal, however in these circumstances the Hardware Joysticks are not accessible, hence the need to enable them in the Smartphone.
The bottom line, is I'm trying to find a solution to the problem of wireless range and reliability with the Spark, enabling the Virtual Joysticks would be key.
This open the Spark to many connection scenarios such being inside a car or mounting the RC on a post, etc.
So basically you want to control the RC with the virtual sticks somehow or otherwise send the virtual stick commands to the bird through the RC's antennae. Have my doubts, seems like the firmware just wouldn't be set up that way but almost anything is possible if it's digital I suppose. Seems like Spark 317's suggestion would be the most successful route to get what you want.

Reactions: Spark 317
So basically you want to control the RC with the virtual sticks somehow or otherwise send the virtual stick commands to the bird through the RC's antennae. Have my doubts, seems like the firmware just wouldn't be set up that way but almost anything is possible if it's digital I suppose. Seems like Spark 317's suggestion would be the most successful route to get what you want.

Let me give you an example. Imagine the point from where you are flying has many buildings and trees around. Those will cause an obstruction/interference to the WiFi signal between RC and drone, right? Now suppose you lift the RC up somehow. Tie it to a tall pole for example. Wouldn't it improve the signal between RC and drone? This may be something the OP is trying to do. So imagine your RC is fixed on a 20 feet tall pole and you have a long cable (OTG) running from there to your phone while you are standing on the ground, wouldn't it be great if you could control the drone with just the phone itself? Now it is only a question of weather DJI Go4 or some other app allows such control. If the gimbal can be tilted using the touchscreen on the phone, why not other movements of the drone?

Last edited:
Reactions: Torovolt
Let me give you an example. Imagine the point from where you are flying has many buildings and trees around. Those will cause an obstruction/interference to the WiFi signal between RC and drone, right? Now suppose you lift the RC up somehow. Tie it to a tall pole for example. Wouldn't it improve the signal between RC and drone? This may be something the OP is trying to do. So imagine your RC is fixed on a 20 feet tall pole and you have a long cable (OTG) running from there to your phone while you are standing on the ground, wouldn't it be great if you could control the drone with just the phone itself? Now it is only a question of weather DJI Go4 or some other app allows such control. If the gimbal can be tilted using the touchscreen on the phone, why not other movements of the drone?
Thanks but no I understand that's what he wants to do but figure he'll be a while in getting it if ever thus why I suggest going with the remote antennae idea for a solution instead. But hey, maybe somebody can hack it somehow.

Thanks but no I understand that's what he wants to do but figure he'll be a while in getting it if ever thus why I suggest going with the remote antennae idea for a solution instead. But hey, maybe somebody can hack it somehow.

It should be doable. I think the only reason why DJI doesn't give such control is to prevent someone from accidentally touching the screen while it is mounted on the RC. I really like this idea of using the RC as an antenna and controlling the drone with the touchscreen. If not DJI, may be some 3rd party app has this feature.

So I got my Gamepad controller yesterday (Gamevice for iPhone) to use with Litchi and all the buttons work except the joysticks when connected through the RC Joystick grrr. I might ask Litchi Support if the Joystics can be activated somehow and I have yet to try with the Go4 app.
If there is a hack I’d like to have is this one since it tackles the wireless range and reliability with the Spark.
My gamepad is wired so i only could connect to the RC wirelessly.

By the way, for some people with no DJI RC this gamepad work really well and it was only $16 new from eBay. You wont get the same range than the RC but the ergonomics are similar if not better and no need to recharge it either.412EAE7A-194D-4EA1-8B58-3A1BA2D82224.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello guys, im new here and im trying to solve a similar and very important problem for me, what I want is to be able to use the virtual joysticks even when contacted trough the rc controller because im physically disabled and I can only fly my drone using a bluetooth mouse on an android phone and using the virtual joysticks witch works fine for me but the range and height are very limited even if I use a wi-fi repeater the DJI GO app has a 60 meters hight limit. i was wondering if anyone knows how to enable them in the DJI app or if there is any other app that can do that

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme