Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Weak Image Transmission Signal/Lag with RC *Mostly fixed with DJI GO 4.1.2*

James Lucas

Join
Jun 17, 2017
Anyone else having significant lag/video blackouts using the Remote Control? I've updated to AC firmware version .0400 and RC firmware .0100? My AC, RC and phone are about 6" apart and DJI Go 4 (4.1.0) is showing a "Weak Image Transmission Signal" error. Video is choppy and has blacked out blocks.

I'm using an iPhone 7. I tried turning off Bluetooth and the improvement was significant. Still lag and occasional Weak Image Transmission Signal error. I also tried shutting down all apps besides DJI Go and restarted my phone with no success.

I also tried changing bands between 2.4 and 5.8. The 2.4 band is really congested in my area with the congestion bars red for most bands. 5 ghz was pretty clear, in contrast.

Direct connection from my phone to the Spark works well with minimal lag.

I grabbed my Mavic Pro RC cable and everything worked fantastic. I'm definitely going to get a OTG adapter and fly this way with the remote in the future. With that said, I still want this to work as intended, especially until I get a long enough cable.

Alternately, I grabbed my wife's iPad Mini WiFi and had no problems.

Does anyone else have this issue? What device are you using DJI go with? A WiFi only device? A phone like the iPhone 7 that runs LTE for data and WiFi to connect with the remote simultaneously?

Are you talking about a lag issue with the remote control and operating the Spark? I just connected mine tonight to the remote, first time, and am having a weird lag. It ranges from 1/2 second to 2 second delay from when I move the remote control joystick and the drone responds. It's night here and the delay made me nervous enough to just put it aside for the night and play around a bit in the morning. Again, it's my first go around using the remote but having a P4P and Mavic Pro with zero remote control issues it threw me off.

I'm connecting to the remote via WiFi with an iPhone 7 Plus. Any solutions or thoughts?

Not with the remote. The Spark responds quickly to the remote, but the video shown on my phone has a significant delay. Are you on current firmware? Supposedly it fixes the remote lag issues.

Good to know. I did upgrade the remote control but didn't restart everything. Maybe that was the issue. I'll play around more tomorrow.

Video is very laggy on my end and so is remote operation. When I turn the wifi connection off, actually off entirely on the phone, the remote works perfectly but obviously no video. Appears that the wifi on the phone is interfering. Strange that we seem to be the only people experiencing this, or at least talking about it.

I was having very similar issues until I switched my Nexus 6P to Airplane Mode and changed the WIFI to the RC to 5.8Mhz. No issues so far.

The OTG solution also works great...

Alright, it's mostly fixed with the DJI Go 4.1.2 update. That update wasn't available to me when I was flying it early in the day. Now that I updated, it's still laggy but better. Then turning off bluetooth on my iPhone 7 was another significant improvement. Finally putting my Apple Watch into airplane mode mostly fixed it. Not as good as a direct cable connection but totally usable.

Reactions: Sterling Collins
Alright, it's mostly fixed with the DJI Go 4.1.2 update. That update wasn't available to me when I was flying it early in the day. Now that I updated, it's still laggy but better. Then turning off bluetooth on my iPhone 7 was another significant improvement. Finally putting my Apple Watch into airplane mode mostly fixed it. Not as good as a direct cable connection but totally usable.
WHy not using that said USB OTG cable ? Made a huge difference for me, also in terms of lag...

Ender

Hi, I had the exact same problems yesterday during my very first flight with my spark.

No problem with direct connection from iPhone 7+ to the drone but with the RC that was extremely laggy (both video and radio controls).
After reading your post I tried (inside home, not during flight) your solution to disable bluetooth and set my Apple Watch to Airplane mode. There was indeed no video lag (well around 0.5s instead of the 3 or 4 sec before). I will try to fly later in the day.

I think I will buy a cable and avoid using wifi with RC. Why did DJI not include this cable ?! Is it a hack or official that the cable is working correctly with spark remote and iPhone?
This is my first DJI drone, can you please confirm a mavic RC cable will work correctly with the spark RC? Thanks :)

[Edit] Ok I tested with an OTG adapter and it works great!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sterling Collins
I was having very similar issues until I switched my Nexus 6P to Airplane Mode and changed the WIFI to the RC to 5.8Mhz. No issues so far.

The OTG solution also works great...
Ah.,..I will try the airplane mode and report (I have iPhone 7 Plus)

Anyone else having significant lag/video blackouts using the Remote Control? I've updated to AC firmware version .0400 and RC firmware .0100? My AC, RC and phone are about 6" apart and DJI Go 4 (4.1.0) is showing a "Weak Image Transmission Signal" error. Video is choppy and has blacked out blocks.

I'm using an iPhone 7. I tried turning off Bluetooth and the improvement was significant. Still lag and occasional Weak Image Transmission Signal error. I also tried shutting down all apps besides DJI Go and restarted my phone with no success.

I also tried changing bands between 2.4 and 5.8. The 2.4 band is really congested in my area with the congestion bars red for most bands. 5 ghz was pretty clear, in contrast.

Direct connection from my phone to the Spark works well with minimal lag.

I grabbed my Mavic Pro RC cable and everything worked fantastic. I'm definitely going to get a OTG adapter and fly this way with the remote in the future. With that said, I still want this to work as intended, especially until I get a long enough cable.

Alternately, I grabbed my wife's iPad Mini WiFi and had no problems.

Does anyone else have this issue? What device are you using DJI go with? A WiFi only device? A phone like the iPhone 7 that runs LTE for data and WiFi to connect with the remote simultaneously?
Update: Well, I turned off bluetooth one my iPhone 7 Plus and there is an occasional minor void lag MUCH better than when I had HUGE unusable lag with it on.

But now when I try to connect my controller to the Spark, I get control but no connection to the iPhone. I know I sound stupid here. I have selected the controller in WiFi setting. If I don't use the controller and select the drone's WiFi I can control the drone from theniPhone and get video feed. What am I forgetting here?

If you are able to see both the RC and the Spark in the WiFi network then they aren't linked. You should try linking them as it works better that way. Page 38 of manual:

IMG_0828.JPG

YIPPEE

I deleted the DJI GO 4 app from my iPhone, rebooted it, reinstalled DJIGO 4, I have bluetooth turned off and BINGO an an acceptable but not perfect video link. THANK YOU ALL. (using the Spark Controller)

One more issue (Help please). I have another Spark (a backup). I have not activated it. When I turn it on to activate, my iPhone doesn't see it's own SSID....Any ideas?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex