Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Why Do I Keep Picking the Spark as my "Go To Drone"?

Ron_Dog

Join
Mar 23, 2018
Loc
Illinois
Since buying my Spark,I've noticed my other drones (Mavic Pro and Inspire 1) don't get as much use as they once did. I don't know if it's the size of the Spark,or how easy it is to get setup and into the air? I find myself grabbing the Spark about 90% of the time when friends call and want to go fly. Yesterday we went to a local High School Football Field to fly, and I was flying the Spark FPV. Every time I fly it, there is a smile left on my face, it's just too much fun!

I have been thinking about purchasing a Mavic 2 zoom but I keep reading stories like yours and I sure don't want to be stuck with a quad I don't fly because the Spark is so easy to deal with.

I know I'll fly the darn thing if I get it but I see your point when grabbing a bird for a quick flight, the Spark is saying, "Pick me, pick me!"

I have been thinking about purchasing a Mavic 2 zoom but I keep reading stories like yours and I sure don't want to be stuck with a quad I don't fly because the Spark is so easy to deal with.

I know I'll fly the darn thing if I get it but I see your point when grabbing a bird for a quick flight, the Spark is saying, "Pick me, pick me!"
Yes it does!:D The Inspire (while being awesome to fly) is a PITA to setup. The Mavic isn't so bad, but the Spark is so easy to get into the air at a moments notice. The Mavic 2Pro dosen't interest me, enough to sell my MP and then start over buying battery's for the m2p. 3 minutes more flight time, and a little better camera, isn't worth the trade off, for me?

Reactions: pvbret
I feel the same about my Spark. It's easy and quick to set up and I like the locked focus, the Mavic is a little annoying when the focus is off and I have to keep adjusting during flight. I've actually filmed an entire flight out of focus with the Mavic.

I feel the same about my Spark. It's easy and quick to set up and I like the locked focus, the Mavic is a little annoying when the focus is off and I have to keep adjusting during flight. I've actually filmed an entire flight out of focus with the Mavic.
Yes! I have too! When I fly the MP I have to remind myself to "Focus,then Shoot"!

I'd go for a Mavic 2 Zoom, seems like the Pro is a bit cheesy with its camera quality, despite all the hype. I like the idea of being able to zoom in... I fly mostly over nature, so hoping to capture a moose or bear one of these days. But I would dearly miss the Spark for the same reasons already stated... its very portable, easy to use.

Reactions: pvbret and Ron_Dog
The Inspire (while being awesome to fly) is a PITA to setup.

I recently watched a video from Ken Herron when he flew his Inspire 2 from the top of a skyscraper and had to lug 43 pounds of gear up three flights of stairs to gain access to the roof because the elevator didn't go to the roof.

Ugh!

I recently watched a video from Ken Herron when he flew his Inspire 2 from the top of a skyscraper and had to lug 43 pounds of gear up three flights of stairs to gain access to the roof because the elevator didn't go to the roof.

Ugh!

I just watched that last night... very cool. I like his channel. Makes me laugh every time.

I use my Spark so much that I recently sold my much nicer P3A. It got to a point where I wasn’t even flying my Phantom anymore. The Spark certainly has its limitations, but is a very quick and easy bird to fly.

Since buying my Spark,I've noticed my other drones (Mavic Pro and Inspire 1) don't get as much use as they once did. I don't know if it's the size of the Spark,or how easy it is to get setup and into the air? I find myself grabbing the Spark about 90% of the time when friends call and want to go fly. Yesterday we went to a local High School Football Field to fly, and I was flying the Spark FPV. Every time I fly it, there is a smile left on my face, it's just too much fun!
I've being doing the same look at my flight records hahaha

The Spark I always grab I don't know why it is but I think it's just the perfect size. Screenshot_20180927-102132.jpgScreenshot_20180927-102140.jpg

Reactions: Ron_Dog and Haggi
More agressive flying than you would on your more expensive drone. Relatively cheaper to replace spark if it breaks. I fly my spark close to obstacles. I wouldnt dare do that to my P4P.

I would love to see dronebots work with my spark. Have been using that and scratch with dji tello with kids for stem. They would love to graduate up to the spark. Mission planning is an ideal way to teach programming concepts.

Nice to hear those favorable comments about Spark. Spark is my only serious drone (although I do like my little Tello for quick aerial snapshots when there's no wind) and, while I've only had my Spark a few months, I've felt no desire at all to upgrade.

I agree. The Spark is the first choice every time. Wonder whether that will change when I receive the Mavic 2 Pro.

Thanks guys. I have been mainly flying my Mavic Air and Parrott Anafi but I think it's time to get my Spark out and do some flying today.
Hey Ron. I like your fly n low video. I enjoy flying close to the ground sometimes just for something different in my videos.

How did you get the Spark to turn/yaw so smoothly; especially with so tight a radius? Was this done in post production with some form of warp stabalizer?
I used to fly the Spark, and loved the color, the all in focus, and the convenience, but I could not tolerate the yaw, so I upgraded to the MP.

I assumed that when you stated you flew in FPV, that you meant wearing goggles, which I see you wearing, and not the gimbal FPV mode as opposed to the gimbal follow mode.
When I flew the Spark the gimbal FPV was a harsh tilt of the Spark video.
Has something changed through firmware? I believed the harsh gimbal FPV was because of the two axis gimbal

Reactions: Ron_Dog
The Spark is awesome for travel. Packs small, great selfie drone,
just got back from a trip, and I didn't miss my P3A one bit. It seems
to be less 'obtrusive' to other people as well. I did draw attention with
Hand gesture mode... but it was all good. I've also delayed a Mavic 2 Zoom
purchase. The Spark is too easy and fast. I'll put that Mavic money into
the "next motorcycle" fund instead.

Reactions: Ron_Dog
Yes I was flying with goggles using Litchi in FPV mode. The erratic movement in the video's are indeed from the two axis gimbal. The Only way to over come this is,#1 use very small, slow movements on the controller, and #2 during editing use a "Anti Motion" option in the editing software. In Sport Mode you really have to work really at it hard, making small adjustments. The Best alternative is to use "P" Mode with the sensors disabled. My Spark will fly 12-14mph in "P" mode with the sensors disabled. In Sport Mode the video quality really drops dramatically, so this is the best alternative,I have found so far.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502