Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Wind & Wind Gusts!

Pe11e

Join
Feb 7, 2018
Well I'm an idiot! Few hours ago I went outside to test .300 firmware with OTG + NLD mod app. Completely forgot to check UAV Forecast app and current weather. Flew for 12 minutes and I got only one high wind velocity message. The footage was super stable, except I saw it's trembling like 50% of the flight duration, and I know that trambling is a result of Spark fighting with the stronger winds.
When I was back into the house, opened UAV Forecast to check the wind, and guess what, wind gusts were up to 72km/h!!! Jesus! I think I was lucky I didn't lost the drone, the wind could tip it over just like that.

So, do you guys know what was the highest wind speed (with gusts) during flight your Spark was fighting with?

Cheers!

Last edited:
The best I've managed was one day when I took Hoverbee out for a fly and didn't realise that it was gusty weather. I now check the gusts as well as wind direction etc. :). Anyway, the wind gusts were up to 30mph/49 kmh that day, and I was on a hill top when one hit the Spark. Considering I was on a hill top, it's possible the wind gusts were higher than that. I have to admit it was quite funny watching the Spark NOPENOPENOPE its way across the field as it struggled to stay in one place! I then gave up flying for the day since it was obviously not going to be able to be safely flown at any distance or height that day.

NOPENOPENOPE lol! xD

Btw, just after watching this video, I'm practically sure Spark WILL NOT tip over by the strong winds! Not sure how strong this leaf blower is, but I must admit - I'm pleasantly surprised!

Reactions: Stuck in the Air
That is some awesome drone abuse! I swear that Spark was trying to attack him for being mean to it at times...

What is interesting from this is how it responded to up or downdrafts. It obviously can't handle those nearly as well, so if your drone gets caught in a up or down blast, the best thing to do is move sideways, I guess.

As a rule I will fly only if the wind speed is 24km/hr or lower. Will asses the conditions at the flight location to determine if gusts or other factors make a difference in the local environment.

I've noticed that UAV forcast is often way off with its forcast. So always good to check with your local weather service for latest wind conditions.

50mph is the highest my spark has seen, yes it made it home yes it sucked I didn't think spark would ever see the ground again.

I took Hoverbee out the other day to a hilltop with lots of space for running after errant Sparks and some nasty wind gusts, simply for some very careful practice. I actually got a Yaw Error followed by Atti mode. The drone then started to take off with the wind, but I drove it back using the controls and it regained GPS shortly after. Still, it was interesting to see. I know yaw errors are caused by sudden swerves in sport mode, so I am guessing that they can also be caused by a sudden wind gust hitting the side of the aircraft and unexpectedly spinning it. It would explain a lot of the flyaways you see on the DJI forum. I was very glad I was in a large open space and flying only about three metres in the air at the time!

Reactions: Pe11e
Wednesday and Thursday look like a good day to see if the sparky can handle wind gust [emoji16]

Screenshot_20180311-235608.png

Screenshot_20180311-235647.png

Worst my Hunter Killer has dealt with was around 30-40 mph gusts and a steady 20 mph or so. Flew and hovered well but got only 9 min from a full battery.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fulavio