Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Active Track my Kawasaki Motorcycle

MickDoesStuff

Join
Nov 12, 2019
Never used the active track before and decided to give it a crack today while riding my Kawasaki motorcycle. A few close calls with power-lines but seems to work quite well at a reasonable speed and it was quite windy today about 32km/h winds. I'm assuming it would use the sensor to miss the power-lines. The drone did take off and try to fly home when the battery hit about 45% :)

Interesting presentation of learning on-the-fly. Many have expressed opinions on whether the lack of Active Track on the Mavic Mini is a deal breaker or not. Personally, for what I would like to use the Spark for, Active Track is a valuable capability and meshes well with the "Selfie Drone" purpose. Those were some close calls with the power lines, but unless the Spark OA was screaming, it may not have been able to sense the thin wires. But, miss them it did. Obviously the Spark didn't suffer any negative influence from the high tension power lines. I hope we'll see more videos from you using Active Track now that you've got the basics sussed. Thanks for sharing.

Excellent Active Track experiment! I was concerned with all the power lines, but it evidently didn't bother the Spark. Curious why it decided to RTH at 45%, is that what you had set? Also, excellent flight time with the speed and wind. Well done!

Reactions: sharps45 and Haggi
Excellent Active Track experiment! I was concerned with all the power lines, but it evidently didn't bother the Spark. Curious why it decided to RTH at 45%, is that what you had set? Also, excellent flight time with the speed and wind. Well done!
Spark needed the juice to go back to start up location.
This could be avoided by activate "Home position at controller location".
Active track is the only mode where this will work.

I thought you set the RTH battery level in the app prior to takeoff, so I'm surprised that it was that high? Also, I didn't realize that the home position at controller location was a dynamic setting in Active Track? I thought it was a one-time setting that had to be updated as you moved?

..... I didn't realize that the home position at controller location was a dynamic setting in Active Track? I thought it was a one-time setting that had to be updated as you moved?
Only in Active Track (with a gps equipped device)... it will store your new position every 15m/45ft.
Your last recorded position will be your HP if it drops out of Active track or lose signal.

Never used the active track before and decided to give it a crack today while riding my Kawasaki motorcycle. A few close calls with power-lines but seems to work quite well at a reasonable speed and it was quite windy today about 32km/h winds. I'm assuming it would use the sensor to miss the power-lines. The drone did take off and try to fly home when the battery hit about 45% :)

Well your vid answers a lot of questions about wind speed, electrical interference, WiFi connectivity and Spark speed!!! It was very helpful and very cinematic!!! Thanks!!! ??

Reactions: MickDoesStuff
Well executed, Mister!!!!
Obstacle avoidance (front) will work from 0-5m and up to 10 km/h...
Always fly as OA isn't active..

Good to know, yeah that's why I stopped a couple times to adjust the height just to be safe, but watching back it was quite close to the lines!

Reactions: sharps45

Yeah that was my thoughts needed that much battery to get back to where I started from. I didn't know you could set the home position at controller location, will set it to that next time, cheers.

Interesting presentation of learning on-the-fly. Many have expressed opinions on whether the lack of Active Track on the Mavic Mini is a deal breaker or not. Personally, for what I would like to use the Spark for, Active Track is a valuable capability and meshes well with the "Selfie Drone" purpose. Those were some close calls with the power lines, but unless the Spark OA was screaming, it may not have been able to sense the thin wires. But, miss them it did. Obviously the Spark didn't suffer any negative influence from the high tension power lines. I hope we'll see more videos from you using Active Track now that you've got the basics sussed. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah probably not the best to try for the first time on a motorcycle but got the job done in the end. Personally I'm quite happy with the Spark for my purposes. Keen to give it a crack along the great ocean road this summer.

Yeah that was my thoughts needed that much battery to get back to where I started from. I didn't know you could set the home position at controller location, will set it to that next time, cheers.
Just be very careful. Your scenario and conditions are close to the limitation of Active Track. Most of us would never even dare to try what you did right there.
I assume you had your GO 4 app open on your device mounted on your handlebar?
So you would turn around quickly if Spark all of a sudden decided to track another object/vehicle?
I recommend a sparkling yellow vest so Spark could better track you.

Cheers

Very interesting and well worth doing the experiment. Some hairy moments as you navigated the wires but all well in the end. Well done.

Thanks mate, yeah wanted to see what it could do with the bike as want to incorporate into some moto-vlogs.

Just be very careful. Your scenario and conditions are close to the limitation of Active Track. Most of us would never even dare to try what you did right there.
I assume you had your GO 4 app open on your device mounted on your handlebar?
So you would turn around quickly if Spark all of a sudden decided to track another object/vehicle?
I recommend a sparkling yellow vest so Spark could better track you.

Cheers

Yeah that was the idea I wanted to see what it was capable of achieving. Nah the controller and app was packed into the bag on the back of my bike, I was using my mirror to watch the drone in the sky.

I wasn't aware the tracking could jump from one object to another, how common is that?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast