Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Anyone flying the Spark with just the RC and no phone app?

Are you flying with just RC?

• Positive, Negative

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Baron 2

Join
Dec 24, 2017
Loc
Stuart, Florida
I had linking problem to the DJI Go 4 app and RC after resetting password in the app. The RC alone connected with no problem, so have been flying with just the RC alone. It seems more stable and fun without having to carry the phone for a quick flight. Anyone else doing this? So what if you can do FPV and just use LOL for local flying as the photos can still be taken and also video clips. Might never go back to flying the Spark with the phone and app as I have a Mavic Pro that I use for more advanced flights. Thoughts?

While the survey question is legit, the answers are combined so you can't choose one or the other.

I personally wouldn't want to fly without the device.

There's too much telemetry information available for a safe flight not to.

If you lose connection and the Spark decides to wander off out of sight and not hover or RTH like it's supposed to, at least you would have the flight records on a device to help find the Spark or the reason why the Spark wandered off.

Fly a Tello, it's cheaper

I'm looking at one of those. Bluetooth controller tho (like the Parrot Mambo) so sucky range.

For the original question, I will fly with the remote-only if I am doing a quick test of lights or something.

Yep 5 use the spark and just a remote control with no phone not using the app that works perfectly just don't take it out too far keep in line of sight that's it and you'll be fine

Well if you are not interested in taking photos and videos of cause you can fly with just the controller. Otherwise it doesn’t make sense without any feedback about what you are capturing.
As others mentioned you don‘t have a flight log, so in case of a fly away you have little chance to find your Spark.

I wouldn't fly without info from the app you don't know how much battery you have, your GPS status ect there's a lot of important info you need to know

The app is so bad for me I might try it. Tho I'm only interested in footage. It's a hard choice - fly blind or with rubbish visuals about 2 seconds late. (FWIW currently on holiday and took a tello. It's fun, and the app works really well. I'd use it for all sorts of things if the video didn't drop frames.)

I would never fly without using the app for a pre-flight check. Last weekend I had my spark flying with an assistant using my IPad as a 2nd camera & the DJI app was not visible for 5 minutes, but I had established that GPS, RTH, everything else was as it should be before putting the app in the background & handing over the device. Now, I’m looking at buying an action cam, so I don’t have to fly blind, when I want a 2nd camera view.

I sometimes fly my Spark without the app/phone just to whizz around and have a bit of fun, but I do restrict the distance/altitude so I can keep an eye on it. Problem is, like others have stated, you can't see what you're recording or taking pics of which kinda defeats the purpose.

It has limited range when not connected to Go4 first I think. This is true for my phantom 4 pro. I fly my spark less than RTH distance so range is not an issue when flying with just the remote.

I can’t say that I’ve ever even tried to fly my Spark with my smartphone/tablet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers