Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Can we do one more Autopilot vs Litchi thread please?

TravelAr76

Join
May 9, 2019
Hello fellow pilots,

Since a few weeks I am a happy flyer with Sparky (on IOS) and since a good week using Autopilot from Hangar.

Autopilot is a fine app but what I really would like is through autonomous flying (LCMC) and although Autopilot has that function, it also looses a lot of unique Autopilot functions such as altitude on waypoint and camera focus.
Now I read somewhere that Litchi does have a true LCMC function as where you can really let the drone fly out of controller range and have turning back to start point.

My main question is; Is the latter correct for Litchi, does is have a true LCMC function?
The other issue I have is that the Autopilot app will set the controller/drone back to CE mode instead of staying in FCC, will Litchi also do that?

I just want to double check with you guys before buying the app.

Cheers and save flying!
Arjen

Autopilot is a fine app but what I really would like is through autonomous flying (LCMC) and although Autopilot has that function, it also looses a lot of unique Autopilot functions such as altitude on waypoint and camera focus.
Now I read somewhere that Litchi does have a true LCMC function as where you can really let the drone fly out of controller range and have turning back to start point.

My main question is; Is the latter correct for Litchi, does is have a true LCMC function?
The other issue I have is that the Autopilot app will set the controller/drone back to CE mode instead of staying in FCC, will Litchi also do that?

Not very aware of the meaning of LCMC function, but if I understood you correctly, I think you want the AC to complete the waypoint mission even if it loses connection with the RC. Yes, Litchi allows you to do that. In waypoint mode, the AC doesn't initiate RTH when it loses connection with the RC. The AC will complete the defined waypoint mission and do the 'finish action', which is also left for the user to define while creating the mission. The different 'finish actions' available are - RTH, Land, Back to 1, Reverse. I have so far experimented only with RTH and Back to 1 and the AC has completed the mission perfectly even after losing connection with the RC on a couple of occasions.

The 2nd question you asked is also taken care by Litchi. The RC switch to CE mode in Litchi if you had forced FCC mode before. In fact, Litchi doesn't even give any prompt to switch RC mode like it does in the case of Go4 app.

Thank you for the swift response Nilanjan118! To bad for the CE mode, but on the other hand, if Litchi executes the programmed flight path and I just program the last waypoint where I started, the aircraft should come within range when approaching the last waypoint, where I can regain control over the aircraft. I did have a look at the mission hub of Litchi and that would be a big plus as well, I don't really like the touchscreen based programming on my iPad mini for Autopilot.

Thank you for the swift response Nilanjan118! To bad for the CE mode, but on the other hand, if Litchi executes the programmed flight path and I just program the last waypoint where I started, the aircraft should come within range when approaching the last waypoint, where I can regain control over the aircraft. I did have a look at the mission hub of Litchi and that would be a big plus as well, I don't really like the touchscreen based programming on my iPad mini for Autopilot.

Sorry if I was not able to explain properly. I meant whatever mode you were in previously, the AC-RC connection will stay in that mode. Litchi will not change that mode. For eg: I live in a non-FCC country. So I have been using the all popular trick of using a fake location app to switch to FCC mode. Now even when I use Litchi, the connection stays in FCC mode. I do not have to do anything in the Litchi app to stay in FCC mode. Hope it is clear now.

Reactions: TravelAr76
Ah, yes that is actually very clear and helpful, thank you so much! I will also buy Litchi and do some test runs tonight!

Did two successful "missions" yesterday with Litchi. The first a 1,5 km route at 80 meters altitude and the second a 2,5 km route at 120 meters altitude. On both occasions the aircraft was spot on and I got some really nice footage. There was just one thing that "bothered" me and that is when the aircraft looses contact with the RC, the camera tilt goes of POI and to horizon, I guess that "command" comes from the RC and can't be upload to the aircraft? Apart from that I was really pleased with the first experience!

Changes of gimbal mode, actions and speed on waypoints will only be executed if connected to RC, those commands are send from the app. Changes of altitudes are uploaded to the Soark, so any set change of altitude will be executed even without connection to the RC.

Understood, thank you. That said, what will be the best camera mode, FPV or what do you guys use for missions where aircraft will loose contact with RC?

Changes of gimbal mode, actions and speed on waypoints will only be executed if connected to RC, those commands are send from the app. Changes of altitudes are uploaded to the Soark, so any set change of altitude will be executed even without connection to the RC.

Thanks for clearing this. I was not aware of this too.

Wait.... Sow hen flying a Litchi mission out of range, you have no vertical control of the camera? It will always have the horizon in the middle? This is a bummer. I was contemplating buying Litchi especially because it will enlarge the abismal range we have here in Europe. But with this limitation in getting pictures, this is a no-go for me.

Wait.... Sow hen flying a Litchi mission out of range, you have no vertical control of the camera? It will always have the horizon in the middle? This is a bummer. I was contemplating buying Litchi especially because it will enlarge the abismal range we have here in Europe. But with this limitation in getting pictures, this is a no-go for me.

Why don't you switch to FCC mode using floater app? That will increase your range four times. Actually Litchi was never meant to increase your range. Your AC-RC connection stays in the same mode as the Go4 app sets it. Litchi only offers you some advanced flight modes like waypoints, course lock, home lock etc.

Why don't you switch to FCC mode using floater app? That will increase your range four times. Actually Litchi was never meant to increase your range. Your AC-RC connection stays in the same mode as the Go4 app sets it. Litchi only offers you some advanced flight modes like waypoints, course lock, home lock etc.
I have used Floater but find it a bit finicky and it does not always work.
But I'm lost as to your other comment: I have always assumed that Litchi allowed you to program waypoints and actions, which the Spark would then follow, even without a connection to your controller. This effectively extends the range of the Spark. You could use it to take pictures of objects that would normally be out of range. I'm confused now.

Not exactly. When it looses connection with RC it will continue with current gimbal position and speed until it recovers RC connection.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme