Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI go app 4.1.18 on Android killed the OTG cable support!?!

Think of it from Apple's point of view... before the Spark not many Apple owners knew about OTG which has been a norm for android for years... Now Apple users have found out they can use OTG to connect non apple products to their phone which Apple sees as a threat and loss of busniess. The threat that someone could hack the apple iOS finally and loss of busniess from Apple dedicated accessories.... and Apple pretty Mich has DJI wrapped around their finger....

Well so I thought till DJI released Crystal Sky which is Android.... so I am guessing it will be fixed and was just a bug from trying to match iOS update push with Android.

Mine was doing the same thing. I'm running a samsung s8 with otg. Lost height, velocity, distance and battery. Reverted back to 4.1.15 and everything's back. I turned off my auto update on the app so hopefully it will last a while.

i have tested previous version it still didn't work out. my Otg finally is dead no longer can work.

Last time I had a similar experience which involves Apple was when I bought a 300€ baby monitor of Whithings. Apple bought the company one year leather and suddenly the App in Android stop working.

I had iPhone too because I work with phones, but I bought another camera, sold my Mac book Air, the Time Capsule and my iPad. NEVER again.

So I just purchased my first drone last week being a Spark. I haven't had much time to fly it but from what I've seen the video delay sucks. So I see this OTG option and gave it a try. This past week I've been going crazy trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Sooo glad I found this forum. First post by the way. From what I've read, it was a screw up on DJIs part and they are working on a fix. So let's hope they do. So far as a new DJI customer I'm not very impressed.[emoji19]

Oh no another dji fup! I have both mavic and spark and I want mavic to do panos like spark and I want spark to connect otg, but O no dji you have completely thrown a dozen spanners in the works with the latest dji go4.... What a disaster

I'm a total Android guy and tried 5 different phones with the spark some months back to test this OTG issue.

I found (in my case Samsing was by far the worst) that all my androids had issues - however I managed to solve all by;
disabling all the bloatware,
turning off unnecessary apps
going into airplane mode,
turning off bluetooth
and very important - select the correct WiFi channel

Once I did that the OTG cable actually made things worse.

I find many on the other forums share my experience.

My two cents worth...
I primarily fly with a mini4.
At first with the OTG, and now just Wifi.

I'm not sure if the latest updates improved the WiFi or not.

My everyday phone is a Galaxy s7 and tried it with WiFi / remote when i first got the Spark in July and boy did the video transmission suuuck.
And this was with the Spark no more than 20 feet away.
At the time I didn't even mess with the cable since I purchased a mini4.

I tried my phone / remote yesterday via WiFi and wow I was impressed.
The video feed was solid, not choppy or smeared pixels.

I flew it from the back yard to the front yard at about 10 feet high and hovered with my house between me and the Spark.
Transmission signals were very good.
I'm sure there's some video lag but I didn't notice since I was flying via phone/remote and watching the screen.

I might start flying more with my Galaxy s7 if it behaves.:)

I heard apple have shares in dji...based on what they are doing I would not doubt it. Not everyone can afford an ipad or iphone. Its like they are forcing everyone to buy an apple product to fly their brand drones. Bad marketing practice if you ask me. I personally feel the consumer already spent alot of money to buy a dji drone, and they have the right to use what ever device they can afford to fly their dji drones....after all you own the drone...not dji! I have a ipad mini 4...but I prefer to use my samsung J5 or J7 to fly my spark as it feels much more comfortable in my hand inserted into my contorller.

I just bought an OTG cable for my iPhone & brand new Spark, bloody cable doesn't work at all (I did the firmware update b4 I bought the cable). So I think it's a DJI thing, not Apple.

Just came back from flying my spark tried both my cell phones (android) have no problem with 4.1.18 on either android 7 on both battery status there. On both etc

Reactions: Andy S
Same thing here on a Nexus 6P. Had to revert to 4.1.15 on APK Mirror. Besides to not getting all the data (battery, GPS, etc) the transmission was solid and I flew a couple hundred meters without a glitch.

I then tried to give Wifi another shot but it's useless. My biggest problem flying with Wifi instead of OTG is that the phone switches to a nearby wifi that DOES have internet. (Maybe an Android Oreo thing). It just does that which actually makes some sense. Why wouldn't it give priority with a connection WITH internet?? If you're in the middle of nowhere, that wouldn't be a problem.

4.1.15 is solid. I'll just stick to it. I assume the problem on 4.1.18 was not intentional from DJI. My son has an iPhone and on iOS, 4.1.18, OTG is still working just fine.

I'm confident 4.1.19 will fix the OTG on Android.

Same thing here on a Nexus 6P. Had to revert to 4.1.15 on APK Mirror. Besides to not getting all the data (battery, GPS, etc) the transmission was solid and I flew a couple hundred meters without a glitch.

I then tried to give Wifi another shot but it's useless. My biggest problem flying with Wifi instead of OTG is that the phone switches to a nearby wifi that DOES have internet. (Maybe an Android Oreo thing). It just does that which actually makes some sense. Why wouldn't it give priority with a connection WITH internet?? If you're in the middle of nowhere, that wouldn't be a problem.

4.1.15 is solid. I'll just stick to it. I assume the problem on 4.1.18 was not intentional from DJI. My son has an iPhone and on iOS, 4.1.18, OTG is still working just fine.

I'm confident 4.1.19 will fix the OTG on Android.
I doubt it was not intentionnal but I want to believe you....

Just came back from a whole day in the field trying to stick to wifi only with the RC.

6 of 7 flights had not too much video lag, but one was terrible.

On 2 flights the aircraft told me i was flying at maximum height and maximum distance and i was only 30 mt high and like 40 mts away...weird, this has never happened to me. Not sure if it s wifi/otg related or a coincidence of something else. After landing and rebooting both spark and rc proble went away.

I already miss my otg cable....will consider going back to 4.1.15....but for how long...?

The original otg cable that came in the box with spark when I bought it. I just finished looking at the dji go 4 app again 4.1.18. Top of app screen says 29% battery power left in red and 4min 37 seconds of flight time left on bar at top of app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe