Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI go app 4.1.18 on Android killed the OTG cable support!?!

I really hope so, but at the same time I don't fully trust them. I don't understand why they haven't just rolled back to the previous version on the app store while they work on the fix.

My OTG is working with this version. One thing I noticed is that the battery percentage does not appear, just showing N/A in the top right side of the screen. If I try to go to the battery section of the setting it has nothing showing. In wifi mode without the OTG connected I get the battery percentage showing.

My OTG is working with this version. One thing I noticed is that the battery percentage does not appear, just showing N/A in the top right side of the screen. If I try to go to the battery section of the setting it has nothing showing. In wifi mode without the OTG connected I get the battery percentage showing.
Yes, that's the problem we're all seeing. No height, distance or speed either. I noticed the remaining flight time is not accurate either, which is arguably the biggest danger. FPV feed works, but the telemetry doesn't.

Yes, that's the problem we're all seeing. No height, distance or speed either. I noticed the remaining flight time is not accurate either, which is arguably the biggest danger. FPV feed works, but the telemetry doesn't.

Yes DJI seem to be removing functionalities from the app with OTG, the dynamic home point also can't be activated with OTG

I think everyone needs to get onto DJI using online chat or email and make sure they're aware of the level of dissatisfaction. Personally I thought I'd buy the Spark as a stop-gap waiting for the next generation of Mavic to come out. This was the opportunity for DJI to prove me wrong after terrible experiences with the current Mavic. For a week of the Spark (4 flights with the OTG cable) I thought they'd done it, but it seems having a product working as advertised was too good to be true! I've lost faith in them completely and this may be the thing that stops me upgrading in the future. I bought the Mavic originally but had to return for a replacement and could not get a working one (first one had an under-capacity battery, second one had over 100 dead pixels on the controller screen). I gave up and went for the Spark. Overall it's frustrating because DJI have killed off the competition but aren't offering a satisfactory service. They effectively have a monopoly which is not good for the industry. They seriously need a decent competitor to make them up their game in terms of service and reliability.

sorry for your discontent ,,, I had so many drones and I have to say that before spark I was a hubsan affectionate client. Certainly hubsan you can not compare it to a software should be as great as that of spark that in addition to the overwhelming information you receive on the display the most important is that you have to fly and when the battery is running out you think the software to go go home. what on hubsan is unthinkable .. i hubsan nice thing that if you fall down, or else you break a part of the drone you repaired it quietly .. sorry with dji you can not so if out of warranty the drone is ko then it is ok then buy a another spark and if you can use (old) as spare parts ..

Well, I'm disappointed to have to have made this decision, but I have decided after 3 weeks to return the Spark to store for a refund tomorrow. It is a matter of principle for me. Nowhere does DJI make it clear that using 2.4ghz is impossible on android with the RC in the UK (due to 5.8 not being possible between the phone and the RC) As they have now removed the only solution to this (OTG) and can't even communicate their intentions clearly, they don't deserve my money. I've paid the same amount (in some cases more) than drone users in some other countries, but the performance is hindered in so many ways in the UK/EU on Android, that you're getting half the product for the same price. If they could at least have admitted that either this OTG problem is a bug, or be honest if they are shutting it down, at least we'd know where we stand.

Only solution is rolling back the app version, which has worked for me. Doesn't seem right spending so much money on a drone but have to use and an outdated app to make it work at a decent level.

Only solution is rolling back the app version, which has worked for me. Doesn't seem right spending so much money on a drone but have to use and an outdated app to make it work at a decent level.
I appreciate the suggestion. I have rolled it back and it does work, but I'm not prepared to take the risk in the long run if they force us to update and you can no longer use an older version. I just don't trust them. I personally don't feel I should wonder whether a product I paid £600 will still do what it's supposed to, or whether it will have features removed by bugs/intentionally, in the future. No other tech product is as unpredictable and unstable in features as DJI drones. The unfortunate side effect of a monopoly.

Well, I'm disappointed to have to have made this decision, but I have decided after 3 weeks to return the Spark to store for a refund tomorrow. It is a matter of principle for me. Nowhere does DJI make it clear that using 2.4ghz is impossible on android with the RC in the UK (due to 5.8 not being possible between the phone and the RC) As they have now removed the only solution to this (OTG) and can't even communicate their intentions clearly, they don't deserve my money. I've paid the same amount (in some cases more) than drone users in some other countries, but the performance is hindered in so many ways in the UK/EU on Android, that you're getting half the product for the same price. If they could at least have admitted that either this OTG problem is a bug, or be honest if they are shutting it down, at least we'd know where we stand.
I'm unhappy that you have made this decision than your idea, however, as said the other post I use the 2.4ghz with andriod and cable otg and I'm happy. being also in europe (italy) I suffer the restrictions, na, as already said I downloaded an apk and on www.tecnophone.it and allows me to fly very far using the fcc frequencies instead of those u

Have had the spark for a couple of weeks and love it! I thought I was doing something wrong not being able to see all of the information while flying. I have rolled back to the older version as well but I am worried about a getting a real fix with an update. I also could not get the obstical avoidance to work with .18. Not sure if that was just me? Seems to work just fine with the roll back, but this seems like a real safety issue that dji should fix ASAP!

Did they also remove the frequency change option? I can't change to 2.4 GHz anymore.

You can't change anyway with the OTG cable. Should still be there for WiFi. However, with most android phones it is useless as once you change the rc/drone connection to 2.4ghz, the phone can't see the rc WiFi.

I was one of the first on this thread that cried the end of the earth has come we have no otg connection now. While I would still love it back after 12 flights in 12 locations in Australia using the crap Wi-Fi I am amazed how well it performs... In fact set up is quicker and easier, bugger all lag and am getting 500m,more than enough for me and the photos I shoot.... I am still in awe of sparky and I still own every phantom model and the mavic.... Loving this baby!

I'm unhappy that you have made this decision than your idea, however, as said the other post I use the 2.4ghz with andriod and cable otg and I'm happy. being also in europe (italy) I suffer the restrictions, na, as already said I downloaded an apk and on www.tecnophone.it and allows me to fly very far using the fcc frequencies instead of those u
Using fcc settings in Europe can get you into serious trouble.

OK, I downloaded 4.1.15 shown here and the minute I opened it I immediately got a notice that a newer version is available. So even though I have "only update manually " in my Android settings, I don't trust DJI to not force me back to 4.1.18 stealthily

Anyone have any suggestions on any other steps I can take to protect this new install ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delf