Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI IMU Calibration Failure!

Robokill234

Join
Jul 16, 2018
Hello, I have been flying my spark quite a bit lately, and was getting ready to leave to go fly some at a local park. I usually do a check before I leave to ensure everything is working properly before I go anywhere, and it said I needed to recalibrate the IMU. I clicked the button, ensureing it was on a flat surface, and halfway through step 1 it always fails and gives me error -71! Of anyone has any know about what this means I would be greatly appreciateive. I've been researching all afternoon to no avail....

I'm not sure of the error code unless it's a time out code.

A lot of Pilots get confused on the imu calibration because the image changes fast on the screen and not realize it.

Pay attention to the DJI logo on the Spark in the calibration process to orientate the Spark.

Good luck.

I missed the changing image during my first calibration as well. They need to add an audible alert or some colored/flashing text to highlight when a position change is needed. Took me a while to get past that error message - very subtle on screen instructions. Plenty of YouTube videos show proper technique

I'm not sure of the error code unless it's a time out code.

A lot of Pilots get confused on the imu calibration because the image changes fast on the screen and not realize it.

Pay attention to the DJI logo on the Spark in the calibration process to orientate the Spark.

Good luck.
It fails halfway through the first spot, and then after that fails immediately, I don't believe it is an orientation issue or else I would get to the same spot every time, correct?

I'm not sure, but I did a search on your error code and found this thread from last year in the DJI Forum.

Unfortunately it looks like it may be bad news and DJI may replace it.

Hey folks - I know this is an older post - but in case others are looking for a possible solution in the future....

My new Spark arrived this week. Straight out of the box it had "Main Controller Data Error", and the IMU failed to calibrate. It failed at step 1 of 6 with the same -71 error code. DJI wanted me to return it. A very slow process where I live (7,100 islands) and the week before Christmas the deliveries are delayed more than usual.

No amount of searching came up with a fix - I downgraded and upgrade FW, all the usual tricks......

It also showed an Accelerometer error - that was the clue to the issue.

An old post in the DJI forum (Phantom I think) - was about an accelerometer failure and resulting MC Data errors.

I went into debug mode in DJI Assitant - found my Y axis accelerometer was stuck on 16 when in IMU calibration - regardless of moving the AC. It was stuck - same as the Phantom forum post. The other Axis were under 0.2 or so.

These units have fragile internals like these sensors. Without any FRAGILE stickers on the packaging - who knows what happens to them in transit. Mine was most likely dropped, hit or kicked :rolleyes:

2 sharp finger taps (not too hard) to the right side of the AC body (it was a +ve Y axis reading) - it free'd the sensor. Then the IMU calibrated as it should. Have completed my first successful flights with no issues. No returning the unit and I get to use it over Christmas as planned....

Local DJI guys are aware - if I have any more problems it'll go back to them (and I wait a few weeks :confused:). But before you send back a unit with a IMU 71 error - worth a couple of quick taps (once you know which axis is stuck).

cheers

In fact I just finally documented the "fix" above in a vid and posted on Youtube - to hopefully make a possible fix for the -71 error easier for people to search and try - I have seen so many people returning their Sparks to DJI for a new unit after this issue. For me - that is a really slowwwww process - so anything to avoid having to do a return !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast