Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Spark Car Charger Suggestion

djiman

Join
Mar 25, 2018
I'm going on a 4-day road trip to Colorado. I am in a desperate need for a good and affordable car charger. Kinda worried about the voltage supply by regular car chargers to burn off my intelligent battery(I have 2 of them). Can you please suggest any car chargers which you all use?

PS - I have a 10,000 milliamp battery pack which I have to use to charge my GoPro hero 6 and phone on the go. Cant use that to charge DJI Spark.

Thank you

You can plug a USB cable directly into the Spark. Cheapest way.
I get that but I'm concern about the power input. Should I take it directly from the car or use a voltage safe option. Remember the batteries will be charged 10-15 times each for these 4 days

I would have thought the intelligent batteries are smart enough to regulate the input voltage. I would not think that this is much different from any other USB port anywhere else.
I use a 2.1A USB charger in the car to directly charge the Spark when I am on the road.

Reactions: djiman
USB (in the absence of QC technology) only supplies 5V, and the Spark batteries are nominally 11.4V so there much be a DC:DC power supply somewhere. just use a quality car USB adapter and no worries. worst case, get a power bank and charge from that, and recharge the power bank from the car.

Hi, I have this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756Z2973/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, you can charge 3 battery's at time and fast, about an hour, I also use it: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074W8NM35/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in home to charge my battery's with car charger.
71GUBObGuPL._SX522_.jpg
+

712Y472Fg%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I am not the sharpest knife in the box, but here is what I do when traveling. I get the following equipment:

- An inverter from Harbor Freight (or wherever you please) This plugs into a receptacle/cig. lighter in your car and spits 110V electricity out the other end. Now this can be plugged into any low power device from your household.
- Next I get a power strip (Also from Harbor Freight) which allows you to plug 6 devices into the 110 V power source. So now as you are traveling along you can charge your spark's 3 bank of batteries, the controller, the ipad, laptop, with 2 receptacles to spare.
Now when I start to fly i have a small cooler with gell packs of coolant like you would strap around your ankle if you twisted it.. After the first flight I strap the coolant around the battery i just finished with. When I return from the second flight I put the first battery in the 3 bay power charger and the second battery in the coolant. The coolant has cooled the first battery enough so that it will start to charge immediately. With 5 batteries and this system I can fly pretty much continuously. BTW, you may have to run your car occasionally to keep the inverter working and not run down your battery. Some inverters will actually turn off and make a whinning sound if they believe the voltage has dropped to low - that may or may not keep you from running your battery down. It's best to run your car.

Reactions: mrreddog
This looks really nice. If I didn't already have the chargers that came with the spark I would definitely get one.

Thanks for sending along the info so we are all a bit more educated.

Just got that one as well on eBay for a mere $10...I take it the extra USB plug is both 5v and 12v capable if you can charge the battery that sits in the Spark ? Does it charge as fast as the one plugged directely to the charger ?

I'm setup like Coconut Pete. 1500 watt ac power inverter wired in trunk with 2- 6 foot ac Cords going to backseat to standard spark- 3 position hub home charger and standard Mavic home charger, works great...
By the way, Monoprice sells the same ac Cord to ac brick for DJI Mavic and Spark home charge brick in 6 and 10 foot lengths, 6' are $1.27 and 10' are $1.88 , instead of using DJI's short ac cord.. They have them in 3, 6, 10, & 15 foot lengths.
Power Cord - NEMA 1-15P to IEC-320-C7, 18 AWG, 10A, 125V, Black, 6ft - Monoprice.com

Last edited:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...page_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=sparkpilots-20 Just got that one as well on eBay for a mere $10...I take it the extra USB plug is both 5v and 12v capable if you can charge the battery that sits in the Spark ? Does it charge as fast as the one plugged directely to the charger ?

So I had a closer look and the extra USB outlet is rated at 5v/2A but I checked with a 5v/2.2A external battery pack and it does charge the battery in the Spark so it won't be a problem. I was under the impression you needed a QC battery (12v/1.5) to be able to charge a Spark battery but that doesn't apply to a battery inside the Spark, only to a battery in one of these little external "sockets" like this :

51%2BOW9b3CkL._SL1000_.jpg

Just did a road trip with that one and it did the trick to recharge the batteries when needed. And I could still use my hub in the hotel room if need be without having to take it out of the car all the time.

So I had a closer look and the extra USB outlet is rated at 5v/2A but I checked with a 5v/2.2A external battery pack and it does charge the battery in the Spark so it won't be a problem. I was under the impression you needed a QC battery (12v/1.5) to be able to charge a Spark battery but that doesn't apply to a battery inside the Spark, only to a battery in one of these little external "sockets" like this :

51%2BOW9b3CkL._SL1000_.jpg
Are you sure? It is my understanding that the Spark itself supports QC3 for the battery inside it. Just plug the Spark into a compatible charger and you should get a full charge in about 45mins.

Actually the Spark can charge a battery with any microUSB connection, 5v or 12v, unlike the little external charger that requires a QC3 input.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme