Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flipped spark onto back while in sport mode?

james pawlyk

Join
Jun 1, 2018
I had just finished practicing hovering around a light post when I started flying mostly back and forth in sport mode. When you stop it sort of noses up at the end. I suspect I gave a little up throttle causing it to flip, shut down motors and drop like a rock. Seems fine, but wow, I don’t wanna do that again.

It's a good idea to ease into the stop rather than stopping hard.
Same thing when turning. Try to turn smooth and not sharp.

I typically fly with the prop guards on to give the Spark a little bit more visibility and I'm cautious as a gust of wind at the wrong angle could push it over the limit when flying in Sport mode.

Glad to hear your Spark survived.

I agree, there is something not right here. I fly in Sport mode every time I go out to fly, I fly very aggressively and don't ease into turns or stop and have never had this occur.
Same here...i max everything in Sport mode.
Always!

OR he got the bad apple in the barrel
I don’t doubt that the OP flipped his spark. I want the OP to know that it is not designed to do that. If it happens again to contact DJI. It doesnt give you flying confidence when you are thinking that the spark might flip and fall any minute.

maybe he had a bad dream. common sense says it can't flip. not designed to do that.

Here is a video posted by another member on this Forum from December 2017. Post #36.

Perhaps this was before the mandatory firmware upgrade from DJI a year ago?

I guess it can happen.

Here is a video posted by another member on this Forum from December 2017. Post #36.

Perhaps this was before the mandatory firmware upgrade from DJI a year ago?

I guess it can happen.
I would wager to say that was an imu calibration done on an unstable surface, or probably done in hand. Or a faulty imu.
I would have done a very careful calibration at the first sign of that issue.

Just enough instability to put it into shutdown.

Last edited:
Wow, haven’t been on line all week. Firmware was updated a few weeks ago, no wind, calibration not done that day but done on a flat surface. I had weeks of flying and things seemed normal and good.

Was flying back and forth is sport mode and the motors shut off and spark fell from the sky. I assume it flipped on its back or I got to an attitude that shut it down. Haven’t figured out how to get logs off iPad so I haven’t checked them yet.

I don’t think I was really flying too crazy.

Did you have the prop guards? I've flipped mine a couple times with the prop guards on, but never with them off. Maybe you caught an ill timed gust of wind.

Anyone tried flipping the spark by hand to turn the motor off? My phantom 4 pro does the same thing. I am guessing, a built in safeguard. This becomes a hazard if your spark flips for no apparent reason so you need to have it checked.

Anyone tried flipping the spark by hand to turn the motor off? My phantom 4 pro does the same thing. I am guessing, a built in safeguard. This becomes a hazard if your spark flips for no apparent reason so you need to have it checked.

Yes it works but not advised to do so.

It's not in the manual as an option to turn OFF the Spark.

You take a chance on losing the grip on the Spark and damaging it.

Plus the motors put up a fight to stay level.
Seems like unnecessary wear and tear to turn it off.

Yes it works but not advised to do so.

It's not in the manual as an option to turn OFF the Spark.

You take a chance on losing the grip on the Spark and damaging it.

Plus the motors put up a fight to stay level.
Seems like unnecessary wear and tear to turn it off.
Thanks Spark 317. You said it what I wanted pilots to know. “The motors put up a fight to stay level”. If flight angle is greater than allowed, the motor shuts down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502