Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Insulted!!

ThePara

Join
Sep 17, 2019
Just wondering if anyone has experienced this, or similar to this...So there i was minding my own business taking some lovely footage / stills of a church on a secluded hilltop, up walks this guy and demands i delete all my footage as I've been filming his kids!!! I explained that i had no interest in his children. As he turned to walk away he muttered something, but i only caught the word "saville" i said excuse me? This chap then comes back with "I said people like you love playing with other things as well as you Saville copters" I just laughed in his face as i was just totally in shock as this idiot's accusations! Ruined an otherwise perfect flying day. For our friends in other countries Jimmy Saville was a TV celebrity who was found to be using his stardom to lure children and commit paedophilia. I could help but think luck for him I'm quite a calm person and just let it slide, but some people now-a-days would have pulled a knife and God only knows where it may have gone.

Sometimes the best way to disarm a situation is to agree with him, "I was taking pictures of the church, but when I review the footage if there are any pictures that may have your children in them I would certainly delete them." And then continue or move on, depending on the situation. Guys like that are looking for a confrontation... don't give it to them. Just my opinion. Keep flying and taking unique & interesting pics!

Not that the guy was worth your time, but the beauty of digital photography is that I can show you the photo(s) I've taken to allay any concerns no matter how baseless they may be.

ThePara, you did the right thing, ignore the comments. You are not going to win a battle nor change their outlook with this kind of mentality. I have run into too many people who have expressed their dislike for drones and their owners. I chalk it up to ignorance and try not to let the negativity ruin my day.

Precisely why I avoid flying anywhere near people. These days its seems rage is a moment away in all sorts of situations, sad but true. In the area in which I work, its best to just back off than confront, we have a growning gun/knife attack phenomenon here... Better luck next time.

Last edited:
So there i was minding my own business taking some lovely footage / stills of a church on a secluded hilltop, up walks this guy and demands i delete all my footage as I've been filming his kids!!!

I haven't had a negative encounter yet.

But if I did, I would kindly inform the person that they are interrupting an active flight and should not disturb the Pilot In Command.

To do so may have repercussions that could effect the safety of the flight and they may be held responsible.

Please don't disturb me and we'll discuss the flight after it is complete. Thank You.

I recently sold my Phantom 4 Pro+ and accessories and one of the reasons was every time I flew it would draw too much attention. I miss the 4K camera and gimbal but I can fly the Spark and if it's noticed it just looks like a harmless toy. Of course we know different. ;)

I recently sold my Phantom 4 Pro+ and accessories and one of the reasons was every time I flew it would draw too much attention. I miss the 4K camera and gimbal but I can fly the Spark and if it's noticed it just looks like a harmless toy. Of course we know different. ;)
There is definitely something to be said for the size of the Spark... good point. Perhaps the Mavic MIni will be the answer.... I still have not decided the fate of my Spark. Next spring... we shall see. Might be getting a big brother M2 or M3!

There is definitely something to be said for the size of the Spark... good point. Perhaps the Mavic MIni will be the answer.... I still have not decided the fate of my Spark. Next spring... we shall see. Might be getting a big brother M2 or M3!
Couldn't hurt to have more than one tool in the box, you know ?

Very bad luck, you clearly came across some one with strong views. It is a difficult one and really can only be avoided if you don’t fly near people. Think you’re in the UK. You could have a copy of the Drone Code (you’ll be tested on it soon) and show them that you can fly within 50.01mts of anyone without breaking the Law.

Like I said, there are people who dislike drones and those that have them. My best guess is that its their own paranoia, which makes them afraid and defensive.
Any way, you did get some nice shots and appreciate you sharing with us. ✌️

I was once confronted for using a little point-n-shoot in a garden and accused of terrible things.

I had pictures of flowers.

Don’t leave us please.

Awww shucks, you're making me blush! <lol> No fear, I am addicted to forums, I have an account on the Mavic Pilots too, and dont even own one (yet). I never got into Farcebook (I do have an account there, grudgingly, so I can join some groups), so I use my online time mostly haunting forums, I even run one which has almost died sadly thanks to other social media hanging the digital carrot, so to speak! So I will be here... I've made some great friends through just one year hanging around... well almost 2 years... wow, where does the time go? Can't turn your back on friends. I have friends world wide whom I have never physically met, but great minds think alike eh!

Cheers

Reactions: graywoulf
Pervert!! ?
Must have been the bare feet! lol.... Ya, there are some people who just cant abide with what other folks are doing... sad but I guess they feel inadequate and have to flex their "power" as they see it to mark their space in their reality. I recall a great line in a song by an iconic Canadian singer/songwriter "be calm in the face of all common disgrace, and know what they're doing it for".... seems applicable.

Okay, who can name the tune and author? :-D (sorry if this is a topic hijack!)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme