Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Lost spark

So I had a response from DJI
The clouds acted as an obstacle in this case so it was pilot error
I have questioned how it was my error when I tried to cancel RTH but had an error, if I was able to cancel the RTH I may have stood a chance
An offer of 15% off was given but after spending out so much for one spark to lose control I don’t fancy spending another 300-400 on another one, do DJI not have refurbished models that they can offer at a discounted price?

Lesson learnt though, clouds are an obstacle and possibly dense enough to break your fall if your parachute fails!

Looks like I need to do some saving and will be flying with extreme caution next time

Thank you for documenting this saga online so that we can all benefit from this unfortunate experience...

I didn't see any advice on what to do if you find yourself above the clouds/fog with optical sensors preventing descent. Any ideas?

You can get a refurbished Spark for $237 if you use the 15% discount that DJI offered you.

DJI Refresh is still a good idea even though it would have benefitted you in this circumstance.

I hope you get airborn again soon!

Thank you for documenting this saga online so that we can all benefit from this unfortunate experience...

I didn't see any advice on what to do if you find yourself above the clouds/fog with optical sensors preventing descent. Any ideas?

You can get a refurbished Spark for $237 if you use the 15% discount that DJI offered you.

DJI Refresh is still a good idea even though it would have benefitted you in this circumstance.

I hope you get airborn again soon!
I am hoping they may offer a more generous discount than 15% as I am keen to get back to flying again and I want to keep faith in the product.

I’m not too sure with what to do if it gets stuck above a cloud, I don’t think you can turn the sensors off with the spark but I’m keen to hear if anyone has any solution?

I am hoping they may offer a more generous discount than 15% as I am keen to get back to flying again and I want to keep faith in the product.

I’m not too sure with what to do if it gets stuck above a cloud, I don’t think you can turn the sensors off with the spark but I’m keen to hear if anyone has any solution?

I've done a bit more searching and found 2 possible solutions to this dilemma. I'd rather avoid this situation but if it ever arises...

A. You can switch off forward-facing Obstacle Avoidance quickly just by switching into Sport Mode. Even if you've lost connection this should work instantly when connection is just briefly re-established.

B. If you take off in Litchi you can turn off downward-facing sensors in the settings

I'm hoping that the more possible solutions the less reason to panic :)

Reactions: Haggi
A. You can switch off forward-facing Obstacle Avoidance quickly just by switching into Sport Mode. Even if you've lost connection this should work instantly when connection is just briefly re-established.
This one won't work for the following reasons:

1) It's not possible to view/change the obstacle avoidance setting when DJI GO is not connected to the drone.

2) Disabling obstacle avoidance will not disable the downward sensors (or Landing Protection).

This one won't work for the following reasons:

1) It's not possible to view/change the obstacle avoidance setting when DJI GO is not connected to the drone.

2) Disabling obstacle avoidance will not disable the downward sensors (or Landing Protection).

Yes. I understand that a signal connection is necessary to engage Sport Mode. What I actually said is that with signal loss there is often brief intermittent connection to allow change of modes. And that will turn off forward OA . This would hopefully allow a quick change of location and restore a steady signal and controlled flight.

The reference I made to the downward sensors was in regards to Litchi settings and not Sport Mode.

I think you misread my post but if this info isn't correct please explain. I really want to be prepared and that's what I've read to be accurate.

The reference I made to the downward sensors was in regards to Litchi settings and not Sport Mode.
Right. And I think that would have resolved the issue. I was only commenting on A) above.

I think you misread my post but if this info isn't correct please explain
Maybe it'll be clearer with some more information on your part ;)

Can you explain how turning off forward OA would have helped the OP in this case?

locatioand
Right. And I think that would have resolved the issue. I was only commenting on A) above.

Maybe it'll be clearer with some more information on your part ;)

Can you explain how turning off forward OA would have helped the OP in this case?

Yes. There was speculation on this topic that in sufficiently dense fog (or rain-bearing clouds) the forward facing OA sensors could misinterpret this as another obstacle and impair control. It takes zero time to flip the mode switch and seems like a prudent measure when all else has failed. Just a brief re-connection and a burst forward could make a difference

There was speculation on this topic that in sufficiently dense fog (or rain-bearing clouds) the forward facing OA sensors could misinterpret this as another obstacle and impair control.
Did you see that occurring anywhere in the flight log? I saw no signs of the front sensors detecting an obstacle.

The OP and I were looking for all options to pursue should we find ourselves in a similar situation in the future. He wasn't referring to that particular flight anymore. That was a specific set of circumstance at a particular time -- we are now discussing generalities.

If my Spark is unresponsive and blocked in from all sides by dense fog I'm gonna pursue every sensible option -- including Sport Mode -- it would be foolish not to try it.

The OP and I were looking for all options to pursue should we find ourselves in a similar situation in the future
Got it. Since we're actually talking about a similar situation, here's what I'd recommend:

1) If RTH is initiated and DJI GO shows the altitude is at an altitude higher than the RTH altitude, cancel RTH right away (instead of attempting to counteract the automated RTH process).

2) If experiencing signal loss when standing directly beneath the Spark, double check the position of the antennas (flat sides should point at the aircraft) and quickly move away from the Spark.

3) If planning to fly beyond VLOS, attach a tracker to the Spark so it's easy to find if lost.

Flipping to Sport mode is certainly a good idea if DJI GO ever shows an obstacle is detected in a location where there should be no obstacles. Again though, that would not have been helpful in this case (or a similar situation). If ever in a similar situation where there isn't much time to spare, it's always best to do things that make sense (rather than randomly trying to disable features in DJI GO).

Got it. Since we're actually talking about a similar situation, here's what I'd recommend:

1) If RTH is initiated and DJI GO shows the altitude is at an altitude higher than the RTH altitude, cancel RTH right away (instead of attempting to counteract the automated RTH process).

2) If experiencing signal loss when standing directly beneath the Spark, double check the position of the antennas (flat sides should point at the aircraft) and quickly move away from the Spark.

3) If planning to fly beyond VLOS, attach a tracker to the Spark so it's easy to find if lost.

Flipping to Sport mode is certainly a good idea if DJI GO ever shows an obstacle is detected in a location where there should be no obstacles. Again though, that would not have been helpful in this case (or a similar situation). If ever in a similar situation where there isn't much time to spare, it's always best to do things that make sense (rather than randomly trying to disable features in DJI GO).

I have failed to adequately explain the problem at hand -- and for that I apologize.

Although I understand everything in your post it is not applicable to the circumstance I attempted to describe.

Thanks anyway for your effort. I've got it

Reading this thread, I understand that if our Spark flies in some fog (accidentally or not), it will fly away, because we cannot disable downward sensors.

And this seems to be Dji's error, because using Litchi (Dji's SDK), we can turn sensors off, and bring Spark back safely.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit